25-35 wcf

• Last Post 08 September 2018
loophole posted this 06 September 2018

My mod 94 in 25-35 got here this pm.  This was made in1907, I'm told.  Bluing gone, replaced with a gray patina.  No pits or scratches in the metal.  clear, sharp rifling.  Action tight and smooth, nice trigger.  Period Lyman peep sight.  Stock strong, but may have been refinished--minor handling marks and dings.  Exactly as advertised.

I will work up 100 cases this week and load some cast bullets.  I'll report results and try to post pics.

Steve k 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 06 September 2018

Cool.  What bullet(s) are you casting up?

I think that 1907 may be before the "nickel steel" barrel era, you may want to limit this rifle to cast only.  Which is not a big deal to most of us on here, I can't recall when I last shot a jacketed bullet, it's been a while.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 07 September 2018

According to Dave Campbell in the Feb 2014 Rifleman, the first mod 94's in 25-35 had nickel steel barrels.  No matter--I also shoot only lead bullets.  The rifle was sold with 100 leverevolution rounds, which I don't know what to do with.

I have no 25 cal mold, so I will shoot Western bullets or Montana Bullets for a while. I can't believe the 18" twist will do well with bullets ranging 60--117gr.  and I need to find out what  the rifle likes.

Steve k 

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 07 September 2018

Well, you can sell or trade the loaded ammo, or just hold on to it "just in case".  Not like it's worth a fortune.

If the store bought bullets don't shoot too well, probably they are undersized for your rifle. Although, maybe they will shoot great.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 September 2018

"I  can't believe the 18" twist will do well with bullets ranging 60--117gr.  and I need to find out what  the rifle likes."

My reference says the twist is 1 in 8. That is the same as my 25 Remington that will shoot 117's down to subsonic.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
David Reiss posted this 07 September 2018

Ric is correct, the twist should be 1 in 8". 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

loophole posted this 08 September 2018

Forgive me--a typo.  Probably because the round section of the barrel is very slim, and a 1/2 magazine, the rifle seems to balance and handle better for me than any other '94 I have handled.  Working on brass.

Steve k  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close