.250 Ackley Improved Krag

• Last Post 10 January 2017
.22-10-45 posted this 07 January 2017

I asked about using cast gas checked loads in this big case over in the cast bullet section..I am just wondering how you guys think a paper-patched bullet would do in this full length krag case necked to .25 &  fire-formed with minimum taper & 40* shoulder?  Thanks!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 08 January 2017

I imagine that a paper patch bullet would do just fine in such a case (250 Ackley Improved Krag), but I think that patching them would be difficult.  You would have to start with a bullet either cast or sized to .247 or .248 In. and then two wraps of paper leaving you with a .257 to .258 in. dia. bullet.  Patching something that small might be problematic for most people.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 08 January 2017

Thanks for reply...I spent 1 1/2 shooting seasons shooting nothing but paper-patched bullets in a .22 Hornet & .222 Rem. so the .25 shouldn't be too bad! 

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 09 January 2017

Well then, I would start with load data for the same weight jacketed bullet (or at least as close as possible), and I am sure that you know the rest.  If you had any accuracy with the 224 calibers.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 09 January 2017

What alloy would you suggest I start with?  In the .22's, I was using an adjustable nose-pour Tom Ballard mould.  Sizing to just at bore dia.   Alloy was from a soft 20-1 lead tin up to Lyman #2. Do you think an unpatched slug at bore dia. or .0005” over would be a good place to start?  Thanks.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 10 January 2017

I would start from .001 to .002” over Bore diameter, and patch to .001 to .003 ” over groove.  One thing that i have found to work for me is to start 1 to 3 thou. over bore and patch to be a snug hand fit into the neck of a fired case.  Decap and load case without sizing.  This removes the slop in the chamber throat.  You can adjust the thickness by changing paper.  For example:  9# onion skin and tracing paper run about .002” thick.  Most printer papers run .003” and up. 

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close