a south carolinian days hello

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 29 August 2008
mrdave posted this 23 August 2008

just joined and registered.  this is my first posting and i just wanted to say hi.  have been reloading and casting for about 45 years.  I'm a retired police officer from a fair size south carolina town.  I have two bad knees that have put me in permanent retirement.  Shooting is my main hobby, while reloading and casting allow me to do so.  anyhow, just wanted to greet everyone. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
copdills posted this 23 August 2008

Hello Mr Dave:

copdills here just joined myself,very nice to meet you here on the forum Sir, this forum seems very well organized with nice folks well versed in reloading and casting

good day copdills

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 August 2008

Hi mrdave. Great to see another CBA member join in on the forum.

Yup, I'm retired too. Seems like the only way to keep up full time shooting them cast bullets.  :fire  ..............Dan

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 August 2008

We seem to be having a run on folks from the fine state of South Carolina.. Been known to spend a day or two there myself, around Rock Hill and Fort Mill. Got a mighty fine seafood place there in Fort Mill, Capt. Steves, got some pretty good BBQ too. Of course the people round there are better than average.

So what do you fellows from SC like to shoot?

Attached Files

mrdave posted this 25 August 2008

Hey Jeff, you mentioned Fort Mill SC.  My daughter lives there.  She married a young fellow from Boston who had never shot a firearm in his life. I take him out when they visit us and he has taken to shooting llike a fish to water.  He follows instruction real good and after  only a couple of times he is capable of almost all in the black ability.  It sure is rewarding to bring someone into the world of shooting.  I now only shoot the colt 45 caliber in a Ruger Blackhawk, a Ruger New Vaquero, and a Winchester model 94.  I use the .45 because it does every thing I want it to.  Very, very seldom do I hunt, and then only for wild hogs.  Shoot only for the satisfaction of getting better and for possible self protection. I  introduced my sons to shooting and hlunting when they were young and they now go out every chance they get.  That was a lota of years ago.  Sure wish I still had some of those guns I use to reload for, which were many.  Anyhow, thanks for your interest.

Attached Files

Hi Copdills, I agree there seem to be real fine folks iln CBA.  Maybe one of these days our paths will cross and we can swap cop stories.  I Got a jillion of them.

Attached Files

Hello, Dan, y;ep, retilrement is fine.  Now if I can onlly convince my wife that I'm suppose to have fun and enjoy myself.................I think I'll get off this path 'cause I hear her coming.

Attached Files

LeadHead posted this 25 August 2008

Welcome Dave....... 

I am a Newbie here myself.  The fellows here seem to know their stuff..... 

Ah....  I see by one of your posts that you are the one hording all the 45 Colt brass... :)     I only have a Taurus Thunderbolt (aka: T-Bolt) to shoot my 45 Colt ammo in, but keep an eye out for “cheap” 45 Colt brass.  Just got 195 pieces for $25 delivered.  I really enjoy plinking with the T-Bolt..... 

What bullet(s) are you casting for the 45 Colt?  What are your loads?  Me, I load 7.0gr of Promo with a 250gr LRNFP bullet which chronos about 1050fps out of the T-Bolt. 

Again, welcome to the CBA board. 

LeadHead

Attached Files

singleshot posted this 25 August 2008

Hey Dave- if we keep this up our great State of South Carolina will soon outnumber the rest of these guys! Let me know when you head up this way and we can get together and shoot some 45 Colt- mine is a 25-5. Maybe I can even get you into the Schuetzen shooting- grad school cast bullet stuff! :cba:

Attached Files

copdills posted this 26 August 2008

Hello mrdave:

copdills here , Yes I have a few cop stories too, maybe someday our paths will meet that would be great and maybe we can get a little shooting too

Till later        copdills;}

Attached Files

mrdave posted this 26 August 2008

Thanks for the welcome, Leadhead.   Yeah, I'm kind of hung up on the ole 45 Colt cartridge.  I cast bullets using a Lyman 454664,  and a Lyman 452424,  a RCBS 45-255-SWC,  and a Mountain Mold gem that puts out a 265 gr LBT style bullet.   The last is my favorite followed by the RCBS.  As for loads, I am kind of reluctant to give out any recommendations since my loads have been worked up in my gun and I don't know what they will do in a strange gun.   That being said, in my Blackhawk 7.5 gr of 231 will cut the center out of anything I shoot at,  is mild in recoil,  and shows no signs of pressure.   However, that gun is kind of persnickity about what it will shoot well.   My Ruger New Vaquero will just gobble up any load I feed it, and do it well.  Right now I use H110 and Beartooth's 45  280 grainer in my Winchester M94.  Will start working up something with the Mountain Mold bullet as soon asI get time to do some casting.

Attached Files

Hey, Singleshot, doing some shooting with  your 45 sounds good.  I have never done any of that high grade rifle shooting.  Sounds interesting though.  Years ago GUN Digest  had a real nice article about your kind of rifle shooting.

Attached Files

Hi Copdills, next time I'm up in Fort Mill I'll try to make contact with you.  I believe your beat is just a few miles to the West of Ft Mill.  10-4?

Attached Files

mrdave posted this 29 August 2008

Hi Jeff, you asked what we shoot here in South Carolina.  Well, out at the range where I shoot there are a lot of 44 mags, 9MM. 380s, 22s. 45 acp. not too many 45 colts, although that is only what I shoot-a Ruger Blackhawk, a Ruger New Vaquero, and a Winchester model 94 in 45 colt.  I cast my own bullets, and have been doing so since '73.  I've owned handguns in 10 different calibers and have cast bullets for seven of them.  Wish I still had some of them.  Had about that many rifles.  Now I only have the two rlugers and the one winchester.  There are a lot of black powder shooters.  The Civil War reenactors are bilg around here.  Heck, some of them even have cannons.  I tried to answer you before but I don't think it went through.  Would you look at my hello thread?  I think I've been answerling myself.

Attached Files

Close