Wheelweights

• 9.4K Views
  • Last Post 03 June 2013
Gene posted this 30 September 2008

Is $50.00 for a five gallon bucket of wheel weights a good price?

Thanks,

Gene Perryman:fire

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Mike1 posted this 30 September 2008

It is in my parts.  Good luck lifting it though!  (about 150 lbs I'd guess).  I'd take an extra bucket along to split it up.

Mike

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 30 September 2008

I pay about $20 or one case of beer.  Weighs about 120#

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 30 September 2008

Yes, it is a good price! I paid 84.00 for 200 lbs- that's  what the bucket weighs.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 November 2008

Gene

For enough wheel weights to last your casting career that's a good price. Bring a second bucket to break up the weight.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

sirgknight posted this 13 November 2008

It most likely depends on availability of ww's and market.  In south Georgia ww's are readily available and most businesses sell them for $30 a bucket full.  The end result is what I look at.  I recently bought 1/2 bucket full for $20.  This particular bucket had practically no iron, steel or stick-on weights.  It was practically 100% lead wheel weights and I got about 50 lbs. of clean ingots from the melting.  I primarily cast a 158 grain bullet.  Considering that there are 7,000 grains to a pound of lead, I can cast approximately 45 bullets from each pound.  50 lbs. of ingots will produce approximately 2,250 bullets.  $20 for 2,250 bullets, or $4.45 for each box of 500 bullets.  This is ONE OUTSTANDING BARGAIN to me.  And look at the fun we have in the process!!!!!

Attached Files

Bryan posted this 22 December 2008

I picked up two buckets of ww this week (217 lbs.) for $50.00.   The price is down a  lot.  A few months ago the price was twice that much.

Attached Files

clintsfolly posted this 22 December 2008

just got 550lbs for $80 haven't smelted yet clint

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 December 2008

I have a tall plastic bucket at my tire shop hoping to get some ww in it. Told my tire guy keep the trash and cigarette butts out. I am giving it 2 weeks  to see what I get. Also having my tire guy at work keep filling filling his bucket, got 25 lbs from work a couple weeks ago. Went through 22 bars the same weekend I got the ww at work. Bought a big almost flat stainless slotted spoon at .99 cent store to skim off the clips, that's all.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 25 December 2008

I imagine you folks have seen it before but for those new to tire shops and such - watch out for razor blades in the buckets! It's pretty common to find them hiding in there.

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 28 December 2008

I bought seven buckets full from a guy a year or so ago.  I've been walking around them in my barn ever since.  I worked up three buckets into ingots over the past couple days.  It took me about 2 hours per bucket and I got 110-120 pounds of clean lead per bucket, they were FULL.  It is hard work but I've got a long weekend coming next week too and I'm determined to get them done and put away.  Should be enough to last the rest of my life unless I develop an unexpected proclivity for heavy bullets and plinking.

The guy I got them from and has been out of the tire business 10-15 years, the clips are badly rusted and they smell strong of piss when they get hot.:shock:

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 January 2009

Today I picked my bucket up from my tire shop. I left the bucket there in December.The guy at the tire shop dumped over the metal bucket they thow WW in and I shoveled them into my tall plastic paint bucket.  The guy thought I couldn't handle the 3/4 full bucket. I brought my hand truck so I just wheeled over to my truck lifted the bucket into my truck and left. I told the guy that sells me tires I would buy him a 12 pk of beer. When I got home I weighed the bucket. The bucket with WW weighed 102 lb.

My buddy at the shop said about every 3 months to come by and get some more WW.I also found out I have 4 linotype bars about 20 lb each. So now I have  200 lbs of ingots. 250 lbs of WW. 80 lb of linotype. 50 lb of bulk lead. Think I have enough.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 18 January 2009

I got a bucket of WW from the scrap yard recently and many of the weights were not of lead alloy. They were of some other material that would not melt and was lighter than lead. Possibly zinc. Let the buyer beware.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 18 January 2009

Be carefull! If they are zinc, they will melt, but at a higher temp. That's why a thermometer is important, though you can get by without one. As soon as the majority of the weights melt, at 650 - 700 degrees, skim off anything that haven't melted and you'll have removed any zinc or steel weights at that point.

Attached Files

Largom posted this 18 January 2009

Got two buckets WW last month for $20.00 total. Checked scrap dealer on lead prices last week: he is Paying  5 cents/lb. for lead and selling for 20 cents/lb. I got 200 Lb. from him and traded some WW for another 100 Lb. from a friend.  Now have about 600 lb. WW and 600 lb. lead, also 300 lb. Linotype. Should be fixed for rest of my life but will still collect any free stuff.

LARRY

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 January 2009

That's good news, Larry. It's about time prices came down. At one time, I had about 500 lbs and thought I was good, until I started casting 535gn bullets for my 45-70! With scrap WW going for $90 a bucket here, I'm seriously thinking about starting to cast for .223.

Attached Files

Nora posted this 13 March 2009

I lived for years in southern MN and was paying $10 a pale for WW that yeilded roughly 110-120 lbs of useable lead. I've recently moved to northern MN and went to the local tire shop hoping to find a good source. Told the owner I was looking to find WW's for the same price. He (literaly) choked and said “ok, how much do you want?  He'd been selling it for $5 a pale in the past.

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 13 March 2009

In the last couple of weeks I've bought a little over 700 lbs. @ .10 per lb. I already have more tham I will ever use, but to me it's like going on a treasure hunt. What's more fun than that. Mr. Bill2

mrbill2

Attached Files

Nora posted this 13 March 2009

Antietamgw wrote: I imagine you folks have seen it before but for those new to tire shops and such - watch out for razor blades in the buckets! It's pretty common to find them hiding in there. Guess I wasn't aware of that. What's up with the razor blades?

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 13 March 2009

Seems the tire guys use them to cut valve stems, tubes, etc.  Some shops seem to consider the wheel weight bucket is a trash bucket as well. Maybe it's just the guys I've gotten mine from but razor blades are not uncommon.

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 13 March 2009

All kinds of trash finds it's way into those buckets!  Don't put your bare hands in them.  Guard against something  exploding when heated or contacting molten metal.

It happens.  Ask me.  And I thought I was being careful.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close