Need a new cord...

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 22 November 2008
Dew posted this 27 October 2008

My Lyman melting pot cord crashed last night as I was getting the pot hot.  This is the old female type end that slips onto the male prongs on the side of the Lyman model 61 melter I bought in 1972.

I had looked for a new cord several weeks ago but have not been able to find one.  Guess I will call Lyman tomorrow and see if they are still available.  If they are not, any ideas on what to do to put my pot back in service?

D

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pepe Ray posted this 28 October 2008

It may need to be a heavier gage wire than that for a table lamp but other than that it is just an extension cord. They sell them at the local hardware store. Personally, I prefer a very heavy duty wire when using it for anything that heats. If the wire gets hot it isn''t large enough gage,IMHO.

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 October 2008

I agree, it is always best to use a heavier gauge wire than what is on the pots... I have a brand new Lee 20 lb'r and my first inclination was to replace the cord with a heavier one..

If your pot is out of warrenty, I would upgrade with a heavier cord and wire the cord directly. Anywhere there is a connection the resistance is increased and has a higher probability of failure.

Attached Files

Dew posted this 28 October 2008

You guys are right about needing a heavy duty cord.  The one that came with the melter always was warm and it came new in 1972.  Problem is I have not been able to find one.  I'm going to call Lyman today and see about a new one.  The melter is out of date, of course, since I bought it new in 72. The female end is what failed... it started to smoke as the pot was warming.  The little split prongs have broken inside the plastic female part.

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 October 2008

Dew I would just bypass the separate cord idea and wire it directly into the pot. Remove the 2 prong plug completely from the picture. Use a appliance cord from the hardware.. They come with terminals on one end and a three prong wall plug. Should be fairly simple, I dont think Lyman uses that set up now, all of the ones I have seen are wired direct.

Attached Files

lmcollins posted this 28 October 2008

I would suggest that if there are any Thrift stores in the area that you look for an old used appliance that is for sale with the cord that you need acompanying it. Think Goodwill, etc. I think that my mother has a waffle iron and some other things like that that are made that way. Get on the phone and make some calls.

I almost never throw anything out without siassembling and removing the cord. I just looked in my junk drawer, and found a cord with a note taped to it that says “bad female.” Sorry, but almost took care of you.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 28 October 2008

Have you looked at some old computer or printer power cords?

C...

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 28 October 2008

If'n it were me I'd get a heavier gage extension cord, cut the female end off and hard wire it to the pot.

Reason I say that is I have the old style pot and have bought replacement cords from Lyman and also found replacement cords (multiple) at Goodwill.  All have burned out and I'm at the point where I'll hardwire the next cord.

Also, Lyman charges about 4x what a replacement cord costs at Goodwill.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 28 October 2008

you can also wire in a dimmer switch and bypass their dial.

it's probably due to go out soon.

Attached Files

Dew posted this 28 October 2008

Well, I located a cord at an old time hardware store.  It is the same as the one that was on it.  Light weight but is rated for up to 10 amps at 125 volts.  It has the 1/2 ” pin spacing I needed and it works just fine.  As to the straight wire direct it looks like that would be quite a bit of work.  I did have the rheostat go out years ago and replaced it.  A lot of folks don't know it but if the older pots get to where they won't melt lead or a the very least just barely will melt, you can adjust a screw that is under the cover and it will fix the problem for a time.

Thanks for all the help. 

Dew 

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 November 2008

The Lyman pot has a thermostat in it NOT a rheostat (a thermostat cyles the power on and off to a pre-determined setting and a rheostat adjusts the voltage that goes to the pot).

The Lyman cord is what was used on an old time electric clothes iron. In fact, the Lyman thermostat was also designed for a clothes iron.

My family had an appliance repair shop and I grew up working on appliances before I became an Insurance Claims Representative.

Dale53

Attached Files

Dew posted this 22 November 2008

Dale53,

I'm glad you let me know about that.  I never was any good in electric shop in high school.  Come to think of it I didn't do well in metal shop so I guess that is why I have trouble casting bullets. And it for sure  shows how old my pot is to  be part electric iron.  ;)

Blessings

Dew

Attached Files

Close