Hog Lard instead of Beef or Deer Tallow

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 31 October 2008
jimkim posted this 30 October 2008

I know it is all rendered fat, and I believe it should be about the same thing. The question is, can I substitute lard for tallow? It is probably a silly question but there it is. Jim

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 31 October 2008

There are many recipes for lube, and I dont see why it would work. One of the great things about this sport is the experimentation, that is how discoveries are made and forums such as this is how we learn about the results of those experiments.

I have used lard in a version of my own SPG type lube for BP applications and it worked.

Attached Files

Yep, rendered fat is rendered fat.  I know that many years previous the craze with some of the muzzle stuffers was to use bear fat on their patches. I got some fresh and rendered it and it indeed acted as a better lube.  I find skunk fat to also be a greasier than beef tallow or pork lard.................Dan

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 31 October 2008

Dan,

You might have a market for that 'cause I, for one, am NOT going to be out collecting my own! :D

Bill

Attached Files

So is raccoon and porcupine lard, not as smelly to fetch either!

Attached Files

sundog posted this 31 October 2008

If you buy lard, as at the grocery, be sure to read the ingredients label and make sure there is no salt or other additives which could be detrimental.

Attached Files

Yup, its best to render the fat yourself!  Be sure to grab the raccoon cracklins out and salt them while their hot. You let em cool and their too greasy (and too coony) to eat!

Attached Files

snippyboy2 posted this 31 October 2008

I don't know what is all the chemical indgredents in the various animal fats but here is some of my experiences. seal fat at room temp can be liquid. since I raised sheep for 30 years and ate a lot of lambs I still have a supply of mutton fat, I use it for lubing cases, flux in casting and any other thing that comes up. wasn't the uprising of the Indians against the british in india in the 1840s due to having lard (pork fat) as lube on ammo issued to moslem troops? Just try it!

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

Hi Jim! Most animal fats are about 1/2 Mono Fat Oleic Acid and the rest in varying degrees of Saturated Fat Stearic and Palmatic Acids and then a little Polysaturated fat. I'm not sure about seal fat?, but fish fat is different. For sure you'd need one that is sold under most warm climate ambient temperatures. That mutton fat ought to work good, I remember the 'down under' guys chiming in using it............Dan

Attached Files

snippyboy2 posted this 31 October 2008

Dan, is there chemical differences in animal fats from ruminates ( cattle ,sheep. goats. deer and such and omivors (can't spell, never learned how)  such as pigs, bears. and canivors. seals. wolves. and members of the canine family. and fish? of course fish have different diets, some live on flesh, salmon, trout etc and others strictly vegetarian. doesn't all that have an effect on their compestion?

JimWilcox

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 31 October 2008

I seem to have a consistant supply of 'possum. Might have to give that a try.

Bill

Attached Files

Bill, just be sure to keep that green stuff outa the fat!   :)

Jim, ya like I said the fats very in percentages of acids, so experimentation would still show different results, as to what you are looking for? Hot weather shooting, or cold weather. Some may take higher velocities?

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 31 October 2008

This is some I rendered yesterday. It isn't store bought is from a fresh 20lb uncured shoulder so it shouldn't have much salt in it at all. I know I can make Junior Lube with it. I have used it to seal and lube my cap and ball revolver, so I know I'll have a use for it. There's always biscuits to be made too. I was mostly wondering about the different chemicals in pig fat. I think Jeff addressed that quite proficiently. Thanks M8. I wonder if I can use it to make calcium soap.....Hmmmm Jimi James' Pigalox.. kinda has a ring to it. lol

Attached Files

Close