Star Luber

• 6.4K Views
  • Last Post 25 March 2011
DaninUnalaska posted this 04 November 2008

After using an RCBS luber for 30 years, I recently moved up to a Star Luber.  It works really well on short bullets, but on bullets with long bearing (sizing) surfaces, it has a terrible time pushing bullets through the sizing die...  To the point that I think the handle could be bent from my effort.

I've tried pushing a sized bullet through every other trip and also Imperial sizing die wax.

Does anyone make a tougher handle for the Star or should I just resign myself to keeping the old reliable (read that SLOW) RCBS sizer bolted to the bench for those big Keith Bullets.

This is my first post.  Looks like you guys have a great forum!

Dan in Unalaska (home of the Deadliest Catch)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
454PB posted this 05 November 2008

I had the same problem with some Lyman 452651 cast from 50/50 WW/linotype. They were being sized from the as cast diameter of .455” down to .452” and very tough going. After about 25 of them, I grabbed a 3/8” bolt and welded it to a 12” piece of pipe. I removed the original handle and installed the make shift handle and things went much easier. The longer handle is a bit unwieldy, so I only use it when required.

Attached Files

AzShooter posted this 16 November 2008

Star makes a Shovel Handle that will help you with the tough bullets.

It's $26.50.

Here's the link.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=24&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1>http://www.magmaengineering.com/index.php?page=shop.productdetails&flypage=flypage.tpl&productid=24&categoryid=6&option=comvirtuemart&Itemid=1

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 16 December 2008

Spray them with some case sizing lube and let it dry before lubing them in the Star, it will help with the force needed to push them through.

Attached Files

DaninUnalaska posted this 20 January 2009

Thanks one and all! I dusted off the old Lincoln and welded up a 3/4” solid steel handle using a 3/8 inch grade 8 bolt. Works like a charm!

Attached Files

heavyMetal posted this 27 June 2010

I have always tryed not to size bullets more than .002 at a time.

It's hard on both the sizer and the bullet!

A shovel handle may help as well changing the leverage on the current press handle, however I have always felt that more force is not the answer when dealing with any kind of equipment re loading or otherwise.

My suggestion is determine how much your “shaving” off the bullets your sizeing and considr a secnd “mid sized” die to use.

This does mean you will have to run them through the Star twice but if you lube them on the first go around the second trip through will be a breeze!

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 27 June 2010

I used a Star for several years when I shot in pistol competion and found it was a good idea to run a lubed bullet (45s) through every 4-5 bullets. This was suggested in the Star users manual.

Jim

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 07 August 2010

If you water drop your cast bullets, try to size them immediately. Freshly cast bullets are MUCH softer than a few days later (confirmed with a hardness tester).

That will seriously reduce the effort required for sizing. I try to size bullets the same day as cast, if possible, or at worst the day after.

I normally air cool my bullets but can easily size down .004” or larger but I do it soon after casting. Of course, my preference is to have bullet moulds that cast no larger than .002” over sized diameter.

Dale53

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 28 November 2010

I agree with heavymetal, more force will usually will lead to breakage or excessive wear and tear.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 February 2011

I just had a terrible time sizing some .360 castings down to .358. I ended up running them through once to size & lube, then an additional time to seat the gas check. I tried using Imperial sizing wax on the bullets. but it still wasn't enough to get the job done. It's only with this one mould, I've had my Star for many years. I definitely bent my handle, and even stuck a half dozen bullets while trying to figure out a solution. I'm now wondering if there is such a thing as too much bearing area on the shank of a bullet. I never stuck 358627s or LBT LFNs.

Attached Files

fc60 posted this 09 February 2011

Greetings,

The Star manual suggests running a lubed bullet back through every ten bullets. I have the same hard sizing problem when greasing Linotype bullets. I just run a greased bullet back through.

Beware of using larger (more force) handles. You will strain the machine and probably break it. You might be able to sell what is left of it on eBay for parts.

Cheers,

Dave

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 10 February 2011

mtgrs737 wrote: Spray them with some case sizing lube and let it dry before lubing them in the Star, it will help with the force needed to push them through.

Sometimes hard bullets are hard to size. I've tried Marvel Mystery Oil, lanolin and alcohol spray, case size lube, synthetic oil and others, and in every case the lube made the bullets HARDER to size. I've never mentioned this because it must be wrong, but that's what happened to me.

joe b.

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 February 2011

There is a fellow that goes by the handle of lathesmith and he makes star, RCBS and Lyman dies. He also has been known to make handles for star sizers. On long bearing length bullets I have found that the as cast size and the size of the die are very important. You cant really squeeze them down much, no more than say .0005 to .001 at best. Alloy plays a big part also, the harder the alloy, the harder to size down. Some run them through a Lee push through die first and then the star. Myself I have tried with about the same success as you, especially with harder alloys, I use my old lyman for those bullets. Hope this helps. Jeff

Attached Files

Jarel posted this 25 March 2011

When I got my Star I ordered dies from Lathesmith. They all worked great except for 1. I couldn't push a bullet through no matter how hard I pulled on the handle. I was afraid I would break 1 of the aluminum casting if I got after it any more. I called him and he said that every now and then even through he polishes them that they need more. He suggested I take a piece of dowel rod and saw a slit in the end to put a 1” or so wide by 4” or 5” long piece of 600 grit paper. Then chuck it up in a drill and give it a good polishing. I did that and the next bullet went through with some work and the next was easier and so on till after a couple dozen it was as easy as any other die. By the way I was sizing 300 gr. GC bullets for a 454 Casull. So they had a lot of surface to be sized.

Attached Files

Close