Cowboy Assault Rifle

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 23 November 2008
Ed Harris posted this 10 November 2008

Chevron reticle enables a precise aiming point.  The ARMS throw-lever mount is low over the bore, and as positioned here at the balance point, the rifle throws up naturally in snap shooting.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 10 November 2008

Another pic

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 10 November 2008

Very nice!  Allow me a brief question.  While right handed, due to an eye defect, I must aim with my left eye.  I use 03 and 03-A3 rifles w/ a straight grip stocks as it allows me to aim and fire effectively.  From your photo it appears this sight arrangement would allow one to fire from the right side yet use the left eye for aiming?  Is this the case?  Also, what caliber is the rifle on which this sight is mounted?  Would this sight be suitable for a large caliber lever action rifle?  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 11 November 2008

Wow, that's something new.  I'm impressed.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 November 2008

Yes, the field of view and exit pupil are huge and you could use this cross-eyed.

Eye relief is useable from about 6 to 16 inches.  Recoil is not an issue. 

Mine is on an 1894CB .357, which is my most used rifle, but it would be fine on a heavy caliber lever or other gun.   

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 November 2008

Ed,

Who's receiver sight is your gun wearing?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 November 2008

pat i. wrote: Ed,

Who's receiver sight is your gun wearing? http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=43&title=APERTURE%20REAR%20SIGHTS>http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=43&title=APERTURE%20REAR%20SIGHTS

006-103-300 Fits Marlin 30AS, 336, 1894  $60.00

Attached Files

Pat, I think Ed is pulling your chain. This looks more like what he has on the Marlin.

http://www.ultimak.com/Rx09.htm>http://www.ultimak.com/Rx09.htm

Attached Files

Dan I asked about the receiver sight. I keep fighting it because I hate optics on a lever gun but if I had any sense I'd just scope the things now because I can't see the target if I can see the sights or the sights if I can see the target. Makes for some interesting times and I must look like a chicken pecking away when I'm shooting them. Great to get older isn't it.

Attached Files

Pat, tell me about it (getting older)!

Another option you might consider and I've done for years is to install a tang sight on your lever gun and screw out the insert. Lose the insert outside somewhere on a dark moonless night. The remaining hole on the tang sight makes a great hunting peep and still use the original front blade...............Dan

Attached Files

Dan I haven't received the gun yet but do know it has a mount on it which might be an omen. I have a Leupold 1x4 and a set of Weaver rings around here so might throw them on and see if I can stomach it before I buy anything. A tang site might work but I don't know if the Marlin I'm getting has a tang safety or even if the 336s ever had a tang safety. What I really need to do is start buying guns with 60 inch barrels.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 November 2008

Dan Willems wrote: Pat, I think Ed is pulling your chain. This looks more like what he has on the Marlin.

http://www.ultimak.com/Rx09.htm>http://www.ultimak.com/Rx09.htm

Peep sight is the XS,

Optic is RX09-23  RX09 with A.R.M.S. #15 Throw Lever Mount

Attached Files

steveco posted this 13 November 2008

This is cool! I'm curious to know what “rail” mount you have on it. I had guessed an XS but don't see them listed for the 1894.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 November 2008

steveco wrote: This is cool! I'm curious to know what “rail” mount you have on it. I had guessed an XS but don't see them listed for the 1894. I used the XS Lever Scout rail.  They supposedly don't fit octagon barrels, but are easy to adapt.  Degreased the underside of the base. Apply release agent to the barrel. Place a pea-sized dab of Acraglas gel on the underside of the rail, an inch forward of the front dovetail anchor point.  Locate the front of the rail to clear the barrel by inserting a flexible .020 plastic shim, snug the screws down and Loctite them.  When the thread sealant has set up pull out the front rail locating shim.

XS Lever Scout rail slots are dimensioned for Weaver bases.  Fitting to Picatinny base requires determining which cross-slot you want to locate the mount into. You then adjust slot width and depth with a square Swiss needle file to enable the crossbar to press-fit into it.  Retract the thumb clamps and slide the mount over the front of the rail. The rear mount clamp tightens against the side angles of the rail only. The front mount clamp locating crossbar is intended to be a press-fit in its slot.  You want no slop after you have fitted the crossbar by touching up the slot depth and corners.  After fitting properly, the thumb-lever mount is a quick disconnect with perfect return to zero. I can use the ghost ring peeps or the backup irons at will.  

Attached Files

specops posted this 15 November 2008

I have the same problem.  Look at Mojo sights, I believe Williams makes a similar one.  Ran into them on a milsurp site and tried one on a Mauser.  Works better than a Mauser sight which isn't saying a whole lot.  There is also a attachment that goes on your glasses and has a aperture that swings down into your LOS.  I can remember seeing old Bullseye shooters using them back before opticals.  I can even remember seeing Elmer Keith using one.  Dr. Miller was the maker I think.  You could go the Scout scope route too.  Have one of them on my 1895g and it helps without ruining the carrying capability of the receiver.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 November 2008

Pat, Dan,

While you guys were talking about sights for lever guns I was shooting a deer with one, Browning 92 with old Lyman tang sight. I agree with Dan that the tang sight is the best if there isn't a safety in the way as with some of the new versions.

The tang sight helps but doesn't solve the problem of aging eyes. Mine have aged a bit more than you guys and they don't get better. You don't have to focus on the rear but I still have trouble seeing the front.

My confidence level was so low without a scope that I shot the first deer that came along with antlers just because it was close instead of waiting for something bigger that might have been further away. Less than an hour in the woods. - OK the rain running down my neck and the temperatures in the thirties with gusty winds may also have had something to do with the decision to shoot the first one that came along.

I am still working on a way to use iron sights since I agree with Pat that the rifle doesn't look right or carry right with a scope.

John

Attached Files

Close