T/C maxie ball lube

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 22 December 2011
kenacp posted this 10 November 2008

As a newbe,I need to lube about 200 50cal maxie balls. I was planning on doing a"pan lube batch".Can you advise on a lube? Someone told me I could get by with using the wax from a toilet bowl ring. Any pros and cons?Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R D posted this 16 November 2008

The lube from the toilet bowl ring used to be mostly bees wax but now is some synthetics bees wax that melts at near 500 deg F according to the MSDS. Bees wax is good the other I don't know

R D

Attached Files

kenacp posted this 16 November 2008

Thank for the reply. Just looking for something inexpensive that will work.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 16 November 2008

http://www.LsStuff.com/lube>www.LsStuff.com/lube  will get you your choice of lubes with low smoke and scent. These are nice folks, they'll ship in less than a week. They even e-mail you back. You might check out BAC, sounds similar to what you want. Their price is only 1.60/stick- can't beat that!

I recently bought some carnuba red for high velocity stuff.

Attached Files

kenacp posted this 16 November 2008

Thanks,I'll give them a call.

Attached Files

DonH posted this 18 November 2008

If you plan to use black powder I recommend using a lube formulated for use with black powder. Others mentioned may be good lubes but also may cause problems when combined with black powder foulling in your barrel. I do not know what they do when used with BP substitutes. Maybe OK?

If you have beeswax you could blend some with Bore Butter for a stiffer lube than Bore Butter alone.

Attached Files

josber posted this 30 September 2010

I would go with T/C Borebutter.You won't have any problems with fouling.I shoot both T/C 50cal and 58cal.Works for me.Don't use anything with petroleum based products

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 30 September 2010

SPG works extremely well in my smoke pole.  I have found bore butter to be too soft and low melting point; I don't like the stuff running all over the place.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 01 October 2010

A good BP lube at a good price , EAGLE LUBE. Available from Mike Rix ,do a search for him he does post on this forum.

Attached Files

gunrunner2305 posted this 22 December 2011

Black powder lubes are made from natural ingredients. I just made up a batch of lube from Beeswax and Olive oil,which in old formulas was called “sweet oil “. The proportions were about 60% beeswax 40% olive oil.This was by volume. Adjust to suit temperatures. Remember BP lubes are normally on the soft side to help clean fouling at each shot. Pan lubing worked ok. Les.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 December 2011

For a simple, cheap, home-made blackpowder lube, if you don't have a source of beeswax, equal parts by melted volume of paraffin, Vaseline and Criso works fine weather. For a softer lube in cold weather double the Crisco. Also works OK substituting ATF for the Vaseline. 1 part ATF to 2 or 3 parts paraffin is a pretty good and cheap general purpose revolver and cowboy bullett lube.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 22 December 2011

Just make VERY sure the Crisco you use is NOT the kind with salt in it!

WES

Attached Files

Close