The Special Run for the Ideal 375166 Mold is a GO!

• 5.4K Views
  • Last Post 22 April 2009
John Boy posted this 13 November 2008

Shooting black powder using a 38-55 with a 1:18 twist ”¦ the old Ideal 375166 (330gr) calculates to 17.65 twist factor.

Who's interested in buying  this old Ideal 'Raised From the Dead' mold Special Run from Lyman because it is ... a GO! Estimated cost of the mold is $75 plus $10 Priority Mail Shipping

So, if your interested, vote on the Poll and also leave a short post in the thread

Background:
Don Miller did an excellent article for the Spring 2007 issue of the Black Powder Cartridge news entitled ”¦ A New Twist Rule Applied to Black Powder Rifles. In his very extensive calculation, he determined that the Ideal 375166 bullet will have the best ballistics characteristics in a BPCR with a 1:18 twist

I contacted Lou Sellman, a Lyman mold distributor and asked him if he would contact Lyman Products to make a Special Run of the Ideal 375166 mold. He agreed to do it if there was a minimum order of 25.

This mold has not been the around for 35+ years

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Veral Smith posted this 13 November 2008

Hey guys.  If you'd have them cut the cherry with the first lube groove taken out the bullet will be much more accurate and no more prone to leading than as pictured.  Also if you'd request them to aim for an as cast diameter of .378 to .379 and size only if chambering is a problem, accuracy will be tighter.  The reason the wide band up front improves accuracy is because it carries the nose better than the narrow bands and grips the rifling better with less stripping.

All this assuming they don't have a cherry and will be grinding one.     I'll make what is perhaps an even better deal than the Lyman distrubutor is offering.  I'll make them for $95 which will include UPS shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states, if I get at least 10 orders, and will custom cut the diameter for each customers rifle or whim.  You'll find the roundness and precision of my tracer lathe bored molds, coupled with a perfect fit will give markedly superior accuracy to any cherry cut mold.

Veral

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 November 2008

I can attest to that! I have several of Verals molds and they are of very high quality, and shoot very accurately.

Attached Files

specops posted this 15 November 2008

I have a 375 H&H Winchester M70 and this should be a great bullet for it.  I've been looking for one on line and haven't been able to find one.  If you get the 10 orders make mine one of them.  Veral, what about removing the last grease groove as well and making the base band thicker?

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 26 February 2009

Update: Ideal 375166 remake ... Order for 100 molds has been made to Lyman.  Should be available soon depending on Lyman's production backlog

Attached Files

Sierra Joe posted this 26 February 2009

Just let us know what we need to do to order one.

Thanks, Sierra Joe

Attached Files

Joe, when the molds are received, I will post all the details, including the top punch and H&I die, on this thread.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 26 February 2009

i am pretty sure i would be interested in buying one of these moulds for my marlin cowboy rifle. [email protected] joe gifford

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 February 2009

What is the final price.Still $75?

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

George, not sure.  Could be $65

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 28 February 2009

Veral Smith wrote:   Also if you'd request them to aim for an as cast diameter of .378 to .379 and size only if chambering is a problem, accuracy will be tighter.    One of the issues with bullets for the 38-55 is that original groove diameter was .380 nominal. Then winchester standardized 38-55 and 375 groove diameter at .375 somewhere around the turn of the century ( the previous one). Now, rifles are being produced with either diameter, based on manufacutrer. My H&R 38-55 was the grooves cut @ .380, while others (Winchester, Sharps) are at .375. The majority of molds available, especially in the heavier weights (280 gns and up) are cut at .375 - .378. In the BPCR game, the heavier bullet offers distinct advantages, but undersized bullets has been the bane to those of us with .380 barrels. The original Ideal 375166 mold cast a .380 - .381 bullet.  That is the target for the new cherry being cut.

Attached Files

McKee Boykin posted this 01 March 2009

Would this be a good one for a 375JDJ?

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 02 March 2009

Probably not a good match. You'ld have to size it down several thousanths, it's a plain base design with what would be considered too short a base to withstand high pressures. Something along the lines of what Veral proposes would probably work better. Having said that, it might make a great mid-velocity load, say 1400 - 1500fps. Even at that speed it will carry plenty of energy down range. That's still faster than a 38-55 will probably push it with BP.

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 08 March 2009

Is the Lyman mold going to be a single cavity mold?

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 09 March 2009

Is the Lyman mold going to be a single cavity mold? Yes

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 31 March 2009

The remake of the Ideal 375166 will be delivered by Lyman by Friday, April 11th

Ordering Instructions: Order By Mail, Check or Money Order ”¦ Price of the Mold - $75 Shipping - $10.00 plus $1.70 Insurance ($11.70) Price of Top Punch - $8.50 (Optional) Price of the Sizing Die - $19.95 (Optional Send a letter with your shipping information and a check or money  for your total purchase to: Lou Sellman 2003 Ewings Mill Rd Corapolis, PA  15108-3311

Order By Credit Card Call Lou at (412) 299-0412

Lou Sellman email address ”¦ reloadersequipmentonline.com  or  [email protected] ENJOY ”¦ It Has Been a Long Wait for a mold that hasn't seen the Light of Day for over 40 Years!

Attached Files

Sierra Joe posted this 31 March 2009

Thank you, John Boy, for facilitating this,

Sierra Joe

Attached Files

Campchair posted this 31 March 2009

Wonder how this would fly in a .375 H&H?

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 22 April 2009

Update on the Ideal 375166 Mold Order: Those who paid by check or money order, your mold order was shipped yesterday.  Those who paid by credit card, your order will be going out tomorrow

Attached Files

Close