3-D Printed Smokeless Powder - It's coming!

• Last Post 23 August 2020
David Reiss posted this 22 August 2020

Check out this article.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/07/21/3d-print-gunpowder/

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 22 August 2020

May or may not be true, but the concept is conceivable with all the advancements in 3-D printing just over the last couple years. The problem for the reloader would be having access to the compounds to make the powder. Either way it is a very interesting thought. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 23 August 2020

Thanks for sharing David. Pretty interesting. Maybe some day I can send my powder coated bullets with a printed plastic propellant. Gp

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 23 August 2020

Will the 3-D printers also perform energy content per weight, rate of burn, propellant surface burn inhibition for uniform burn as the surface area decreases, etc.? There are too many factors in the safe manufacture of powder for me to run out and get a 3-D printer.

In 1948, the Israeli Army in 1948 used camera film as their source of cellulose for making nitrocellulose and pounding out used primer cups (Berdan) with then adding the phosphorus from wooden matches for their reloading, but they were very desperate. 

Very interesting first step.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 23 August 2020

As a firefighter, I was on two abandoned movie theaters that had fires from old nitrocellulose film fires. I seems that in the 1920's and 30's when you bought a movie, you got to keep it. That is why they had film vaults as it decomposed and exploded.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • M3 Mitch
Close