Anyone using Lyman 266673 in swedish mauser?

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 20 May 2009
paulezo posted this 14 November 2008

I'm planning to shoot the bullet from my M96 Mauser. Does anyone have experiences with this bullet? How does it shoot, i.e. what are the velocities needed to stabilize the bullet, what powders do you use ... the powders I have access to are AA and Vectan (and Vihtavuori, it can be easily obtained in Austria)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
specops posted this 15 November 2008

Just picked up a 266469 (143gr GC) to try in my M38.  Haven't has a chance to try it out yet.  Would be interested in your results with the M96.

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 15 November 2008

I'm going to cast some 266673s next weekend. However, I'll have to order the Lee custom sizing die first to size the bullets and seat gaschecks (my M96's barrel is .265) I will post the results then. What powder are you using under the 266469?

Attached Files

specops posted this 15 November 2008

See what size the bullets drop from the mold before doing that.  You may be able to liquid lube them, seat the gas checks by hand (if you need them) and shoot.  Unless you are planning to drive the bullets better than 1500-1800 fps you probably don't need the gas checks.  I'm going to start with 14 grains of 2400 and work up from there.

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 16 November 2008

The bullets as dropped directly from the mould are .266. Yes, I know it nicely fits the .264.5-.265 barrel, actually the only reason for buying the Lee sizing die are the gaschecks - I have no idea how to crimp them on the bullet without the die ... the velocities plannes are up to 1800 fps (or any that will stabilize the bullet). I was just afraid of leading the barrel when shooting un-gaschecked bullets.

By liquid lubing you mean Lee Liquid Alox?  I have some bottles of that stuff at home ...

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 16 November 2008

If you do not want to risk  frustrations and  accidents join the CBA get the free Cast bullet Manual by Joe Brennan and study it .Not just read it,STUDY it.

M95 Mausers are NOT as strong as the GOOD 98 mausers,(made before 1942)  years ago an idiot at Codogno range,in Italy burst a Carlgustaf with a healthy dose of Vihtavuori pistol powder.

The Swede carlgustafs usually have larger bores than US or european modern 6.5 barrels. Most surplus rifles are Well used and worn nowadays,expecially the target ones,with  match peep sights.

I had a worn  biathlon carlgustaf who sent all bullets sideways at 300 meters.

My modern Sabatti 6.5x55 sporter shoots decently with a saeco bore riding nose bullet and better the lyman loverin bullet.

6.5x55 rifles are throated to accept the old and heavy round nose 160 grain bullet.

The last week I sold a nice  95/38 carlgustaf and got a nice Sako finnwolf in

308 Win caliber.It is much easier to load cast bullets from US moulds in US standard calibers.

The 6.5 barrels have the right twist  to stabilize any long bullet.even at low speed.

I have used Vectan A0 use starting loads of Unique and go up CAREFULLY.

Vihtavuori N110 is a bit slower than 2400, but is too expensive.

Cant you get the REX powder made from Nitrokemia Hungary? Similar to A0 but much cheaper at least ,in Italy. 

What is the complete name of AA powdwers you can easily find at home?

Do not size your bullets, just lubricate and crimp the gas check,long 6.5 bullets are easily bent in the lubrisizer.

T

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 17 November 2008

I would like to develop a reduced load for shooting up to 100m (first, then 200, 300). I have already found a very nice load in 7.5x55 (I shoot the long M1911 Schmidt-Rubin), bullet is Lee .309 185gr GC, 24 grains of AA 5744 - 1750 fps.  I had also more or less success with AA No. 9.

I cannot get the REX powder from Hungary, never heard about it, it's much easier to buy powder in Vienna - it's possible to get Vihtavuori and Hodgdon powders there. In Slovakia I can get almost everything from AA (No. 2, No. 5,No. 7, No. 9, 5744, 2015, 2230, 2520, 2460, 4250, 3100) and Vectan (BAs and TUBALs).

How fast burning is Vectan A0? Is it like the N110 from Vihtavuori?

I will try to load the bullets unsized, .266 should be fine. Just not sure about crimping the gaschecks, I have no sizer/lubricator press, for .309 caliber I use the Lee sizing die which mounts into a standard reloading press. How to crimp them without the die?

Molto grazie per le tue idee!

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 17 November 2008

AO is much faster than N110, 9 to 11.5 grains in the swede,with  140 grcb.

With  .30-'06 bullets of 180-190 gr weight, at 1500 fps,the black of the UIT 300 meters  target is in serious danger, if you have wind flags to read,

140-150 gr in the 6.5 have a petty good ballistic coefficient,and should do well too.

I have some data upstairs in my loading room,I'll be more accurate to morrow.

Get a rcbs lubrisizer,not cheap,but stronger than the lyman.use lyman or rcbs dies in it. You 'll get more speedy production and better quality bullets.

I have three lubrisizers,a lyman for 358 pistols,an RCBs for 460 cal rifles and another rcbs for the small calibers,45 handguns,44,375,30,7mm et coetera. 

get dies that do not size the bullets,hone them out with abrasive powder,lube the bullets and just crimp the  gc.

The lee die works well using their tumble lube bullets .The instruction say they crimp the gas checks,but only with pre lubed bullets.

Are you inside the Maastricht treaty countries ,with no customs between Italy and Slovakia?

I have  a couple lyman double cavity 266469 and a h&I sizer die 266 dia that I can send you.

I am using mostly a saeco 4 cavity mould for my Sabatti 6.5 sporter and a carcano91/41with a new tight Armando Piscetta barrel,made to shoot the current Norma 6.5 Carcano Ammo. 

I went to Vienna 15 years ago,with my younger son and friends,I had to come back before visiting the second part of the Arsenal Arméé museum ,from the 1859 campaign to modern times,but I swear that next year I'll go to Wien again.

Like the Jews who  used to say every Easter"Next Year in Jerusalem".

I buy most loading machines and dies direct from midsouthshootersupply is the US paying with a credit card,cheaper than buying from the expensive and often incompetent Italian merchants.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 17 November 2008

I use the SAECO 140gr, sized to .268 in my 96/38 I Started with IMR3031, and BW36, when I ran out I went to Benchmark.

I used 22.5 grs of Benchmark Federal F210 primers, LBT Blue lube, about 1700fps

Vectan Tubal 2000 would be place to start.

This load will knock down pig silhouettes at 300M

Live anywhere near Mojtin, Slovakia?

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 17 November 2008

My M96 slugs .2665” I size my two Lee custom bullets at .2683” in a custom made Lyman die and nose punch.  One bullet is 170gr. and the other is 130grs.  The 170 gr. is a bore rider and the 130 gr. is a Lovern style, both shoot well with 10 to 11 grs. of Unique and a Magtech LR primer.  I load them with a set of Lee collet dies that have been customized by Lee  to neck size to the correct size and seat the larger bullet, I crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die and expand with a Lee universal expanding die, (I know this sounds like a plug for Lee, but if it works....).   I have shot 1 3/8” three shot groups at 100yds with this combo.  In your case I would not size the bullet at all but either hand lube it or LLA it or both.  You need to stay below 1600fps in the swede with cast for best accuracy in my limited experiance.  Good luck!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 November 2008

paulezo wrote: I'm planning to shoot the bullet from my M96 Mauser. Does anyone have experiences with this bullet? How does it shoot, i.e. what are the velocities needed to stabilize the bullet, what powders do you use ... the powders I have access to are AA and Vectan (and Vihtavuori, it can be easily obtained in Austria)

Hi ... I have had 3 ( so far ..(g)  )  M38 swedes ...  consider the size of those throats also, not just the barrel dimensions.  Mine all had large dia throats and needed up to 0.269 dia base diameter bullets. 

Be a good idea to run an upset slug in your neck/throat/leade area, on all three of my rifles the actual barrel was extremely nice, but the chambering job was pretty bad ... rough ....   I was tempted to set back 1/8 inch and rechamber, but sadly I sold them all with offers I couldn't refuse ...  yet another dumb move ...

Last I looked new M38 barrels ( in the white but chambered  )  were still available from Numrich/Gun Parts... I bot a couple for under $100 total, but now have no rifles (g) ... timing is everything.

I did get a couple of oversize molds of Lee specials... maybe they still have some? Good luck, ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

sundog posted this 18 November 2008

That's a good bullet for the Swede.  My best load with that bullet is 17.0 IMR 4227 for about 1625 fps.  Lacking that powder from your list, try the same with VV N120 and adjust up or down.  The IMR load stated is very accurate.

I wouldn't wast my time trying to shoot any without the gas check, especially not a 1800 fps.  The 7.5 twist in that bbl is hard enough to deal with, and I'm not sure liquid alox would be up to the task.  Shoot those bullets WITH a GC and do not size them down.  If it were me, I'd be looking for another lube besides LLA.

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 19 November 2008

@giorgio:  since yesterday I'm considering the RCBS Lube-A-Matic instead of custom Lee die; as I see there are sizing dies available in many calibers for example by Lyman, especially in .30 cal (which I will need to size as well).

Slovakia is a mem

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 19 November 2008

paulezo,

I only remove the case mouth flare and do not crimp my loads as I load them single shot.  The recoil from my loads is not enough to pull bullets out in the case anyway if I did load the magazine.  No crimp, just straighten the case mouth out. 

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 19 November 2008

It was my idea as well - not to crimp, just remove the case mouth flare. I'm doing it so with 7.5x55 and works even with the magazine fully loaded (no problems with bullet runout).

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 26 January 2009

I finally loaded my first rounds in 6.5x55, see the picture. Lyman 266673 GC, 18 gr. AA 5744, COL according Lyman Reloading Manual. Have not tried it yet, I will post the results then.

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 20 May 2009

The group with this load was about 5.5 cm (2.16 “), I expected better results. Then I tried also 20gr, 22gr and 24gr of AA 5744, the best of them was the load with 22 gr.  - about 4 cm (1.57") @ 1910 fps.  24 gr. gave 2041 fps with a slightly greater standard deviation (10.1).

Attached Files

Close