Forster hollow point attachment

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 23 December 2008
KenK posted this 17 November 2008

It is an attachment that fits to their case trimmer so that you can drill a hollow point.  Anybody ever use one? 

I'm thinking about trying it.  My .22 bullets don't expand at all at low velocity.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 17 November 2008

My friend uses one with good luck.I intend to borrow it some day.

I had the same problem with 22's this last two years.A Lyman 225415 at 2200 just didn't 'splat"em good enough.I just had a 225438 made into a HP for hopefully curing the mentioned problem.Its a newer one that has a more stream-lined nose and only two lube grooves.I'll send you a few to try out.I owe you anyway for the PB bullets you sent me.

Here is a link to the guys website and a picture of my mold.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/Rifle%20mold%20example%20pictures.html>http://www.hollowpointmold.com/Rifle%20mold%20example%20pictures.html

George Damron

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 November 2008

linoww wrote: My friend uses one with good luck.I intend to borrow it some day.

I had the same problem with 22's this last two years.A Lyman 225415 at 2200 just didn't 'splat"em good enough.I just had a 225438 made into a HP for hopefully curing the mentioned problem.

George Damron

**8 Hi, years ago I had the old style round nose 438 in a hollow point mold, never got it under about 2 inches/50 yards, but it would absolutely skin and gut a rat or starling ....  make a terrible mess (g) ....  gas checked and H4227 at about 2000 fps.

It was a single cavity, of course, and lots of work to cast good bullets.... If I wanted HP cast bullets now, I would drill them ( Forsterize them ) after casting.

regards, ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 18 November 2008

KenK:

I have had one for my Forester trimmer since the “60's". Used to use it to hollow point the Lyman 358156  160grn. cast for my .357's. Worked fine back then.

RD

Attached Files

linoww posted this 18 November 2008

but it would absolutely skin and gut a rat or starling ....  make a terrible mess (g) ....  gas checked and H4227 at about 2000 fps.

Thats what i am looking for!

These current HP's i have had made are a bit “closer"than the Old Lyman's and in two cases accuracy was actually improved from the non HP version.I hope the 22 is similar.I cast a mess of them last night,and it was critical to get the pin very hot to keep the HP nose from wrinkling.Once i got going it was smooth sailing like most 22 cal casting seems to be.

George

Attached Files

singleshot1 posted this 18 November 2008

:coffeeGeorge, those are some nice looking hollow point moulds! Does he do this  as a business? If so do you have an address? I have a 224415 that would be just the berry's for varmit shooting this spring. A M-19H Savage that I have shoots the Lyman 224450 quite accurately, I would think that  a hollow point would improve things a bit.      Thanks, Dave

Attached Files

singleshot1 posted this 18 November 2008

:D       George, got the link ok. I am going to have one done. Thanks again, Dave

Attached Files

linoww posted this 18 November 2008

singleshot1 wrote: :D       George, got the link ok. I am going to have one done. Thanks again, Dave

He is the most honest and fair person you could hope to deal with.You will have good luck i know.Between my friend and i we have done about 15 molds this last month or so.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 01 December 2008

225438 HP (Erik Ohlen conversion) @ 60 yards 22-250 13.0 5744 w/w alloy appx 2300 fps.

Entrance hole

Attached Files

exit hole.Bullet mostly fragmented.

Attached Files

Another shot at 50 yards into 1 gallon jug.Remains of bullets shown(20g of fragments) No exit.Also shot one jug at 150 yard with similar results and no exit hole.Load groups 1.4-2” at 100 yards typically.

Non HP weighs 45g HP weighs 40.5g

George

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 01 December 2008

I tried a 225415 (I think) cast from straight Linotype and loaded in .223 cases. At 25 and 50 yards ,they would blow a gallon jug off the stand.Accuracy was good also, getting 1 to 1 1/2” groups with my elbows on the table.I decided to wrap some with Teflon tape to see if it helps. I could load another 2 or 3 grains of powder under them with no loss of accuracy.I chronoed a few and got ~2450 fps. A friend who just recently gave up reloading gave me a BUNCH of the jacketed variety. SO this is on the back burner till I run out of the others!

Attached Files

I also shot non HP 225438's bullets at the same jugs and they exploded the jugs,but didn't fragment.A friend shoots 225462's in Lino at 2600 and says they explode smaller varmints.Come spring i intend to find out.

George

Pic below is close up of the 20g remainder of bullet after going through a 1 gallon jug at 50 yds.

Attached Files

Euan posted this 23 December 2008

Definetly the way to go. Safer and deal to small critters real quick.What size HP pin do you use for the 22s? Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

Close