.303 British SMLE

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 23 September 2022
hanover67 posted this 18 June 2020

I have a 1916 BSA SMLE I would like to try in a cast bullet military rifle match. I bought the rifle through the mail about 1954 when I was 13 years old.

My problem is elevation. I've replaced the battle sight with a Parker-Hale micrometer sight which is fine at 50 yards, but does not have spare elevation to reach 200 yards.  I have not done a lot of development with different loads yet. So far I tried Lyman bullet 311413 over 12.7gr of Unique powder and 311291 over 16gr of 2400 powder (The "200-yard Load") . Both are fairly accurate at 50 yards. My thought is that I could increase range by increasing the powder charge. The question is "How Much?"

I've filed down the front sight until it is only a small nub, and I can't get much more elevation on the rear sight. I'd like to try solving this range issue with load development rather than rear sight replacement.

I've tried to post photos of the front and rear sights, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 19 June 2020

It seems to me you are approaching this from the wrong angle.  If the sight does not have sufficient adjustment then another sight is a the answer.  By chasing a velocity to allow for the use of the current sight you may miss the sweet spot for accuracy in your rifle.  I would be inclined to find the right load then match the sight. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
hanover67 posted this 19 June 2020

I appreciate the comments so far. My rear sight is a Parker-Hale PH13. I really need a PH 5A  sight but I can't find one at a reasonable price. The front sight was selected from a group of sight inserts. The lowest profile base was installed and the blade has been filed down to the lowest height I can still see when aiming the rifle. At 50 yards the impact at maximum elevation was about 4" high, so there is some remaining elevation to try at 100 yards, which I will do. I'm tempted to try to find a sight base for a Redfield rear sight and have the receiver D&T'd for it. This rifle looks like it fought in every British battle after it was manufactured in 1916, and I think it cost me $37 when I bought it. So, this project has been on the back burner for many years.

The 311291 bullet drops from my mold at 170gr, the 311413 at 165gr. I wanted to use a gas check bullet to minimize leading in a pretty rough bore. I slugged the bore and it measures .313 as near as I can measure a 5 groove bullet. I have a mold for the 311299, a 200gr bullet, so I'll put that in the mix as well. I'd also like to find some data for rifle powders like 3031. My Lyman reloading books have very sparse info. Ken Waters' Pet Loads does not deal with cast bullets at all. I'll have to do some more research.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
pisco posted this 10 June 2022

I have some front sights you put the bloke in and there are 6-7 blades that you tap in and out to suit I have some spares if you are interested 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Samari46
pisco posted this 18 June 2020

Hi I use 27 gr  ar2206h behind a 222gr cast bullet just have to find a powder chart and work out what you yanks call it

i can shoot out to 300 y alright with that load

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 18 June 2020

I dont think you will be able to increase velocity enough to go from a 50 yard zero to 200 yards. It is possible that your bullet is not at its mid range trajectory top at 50 yards. i think you should try at 100 yards and see where it is hitting the target at that range. I think you might be better served with a heavier bullet. Lyman 314299 or 311284. I do know many shooters will tell you to slug your bore but i find if the bullet fits the throat it usually will make up for an oversize bore. Your powder charge should give you around 1400 fps not a bad place to start. if you cant get your sight to move up enough maybe make a new base for the sight to raise it. not sure what sight you are using but most parker hale sights i have used have a lot of elevation adjustment. I have a like new number 4 mk1 and have never gotten it to shoot well, i keep looking for the magic bullet, even ordered a mould from CBE in Australia. 

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

pisco posted this 18 June 2020

What mould did you order I have a 216 gr mould that through 222gr I g/c I have only used it out to 300y I go alright with my eyes

i have a cbe mould for my martini 303s 245 gr works a treat in the old girls

i have a few cbe moulds you won’t be disappointed 

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 18 June 2020

The first thing you should do is replace the front sight ,elevation on Lee Enfields needs to be adjusted by the front sight.The fore sights have a blade the same height and the base below with the dovetail part comes in different heights to allow zero to match the rear sight settings.

Both your loads will get to 200 yards if you get the sights sorted.

Attached Files

pisco posted this 19 June 2020

Should have a front sight blade that puts you on at 100y

Attached Files

pisco posted this 19 June 2020

Now you have done your load work at 50y get back to 100y and try it 

16 gr 2400 should get you to 300y easy 

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 20 June 2020

A 311299 going at 1700 fps will be 5" high at 50 yards and POI at 200 yards. Try increases 0.5 grains of Alliant 2400 starting at 16 grains going to 20 grains and see what happens at 50 yards.

Dave

Attached Files

pisco posted this 20 June 2020

Do a chamber cast and get your throat size the bullet will swage down in the bore

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 20 June 2020

An example from QuickLoad and QuickTarget, Your bullet must be five inches above the target at fifty yards to be on at 200 yards. This diagram is for a scope set 1.5 inches above the bore, the iron sights will be lower. Sighting at 25 yards to get a rough zero before going on out to 100 and 200 yards may be a better effort. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

pisco posted this 20 June 2020

When I do load work with my open sighted firearms it is all done at 50y I can line the sights up for windage once I get the load I then go back to 100y and start working out my elevation

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 30 January 2021

If you are four inches high at 50 yards, why do you want to go UP with the rear sight?  You need to go down.  Cutting the front sight down also raises point of impact.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Samari46 posted this 08 June 2022

Front sights on the SMLE and the #4 series of rifles have the same height blades. It is the base of the sight itself that is either thicker or thinner depending on the numbers stamped of the sight. Ran into this when shooting a Parker Hale sporter on a Long Branch action and barrel. Didn't come with a front sight blade. Liberty Tree Collectors does sell some front sights. I used a set of dial calipers to roughly get an idea of the sights I bought. Hope this helps. Frank 

Attached Files

ClydeF posted this 14 June 2022

I have a Parker Hall sight for a WWII 303.  It goes into the milled rear sight apature that gives you windage as well as elevation.  I have both of the Lyman molds but have yet to develop a load for them.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 16 June 2022

If you have access to a Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Manual there are drop tables for their bullets in the back.  Good place to start figuring where you need to be at 50 yards, and then refine at 200.  

Attached Files

Samari46 posted this 23 September 2022

Pisco,are you referring to me or the OP? Thanks.Frank

Attached Files

Close