308 - 165 sil loading data

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 15 May 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
tony1960 posted this 15 May 2019

Hey guys, I have been "volunteered" to assists someone develop a load for their 308 using powder coated RCBS 165 Sil projectiles. As I switched from rifle a long time ago and am now flying blind except what I have pinched off here (many thanks).

The only powder I have available to me is Reloader 7, which I had for my 30/06 back in the 70's. 

Can we get decent accuracy with these to 200 yds without putting a GC on them or does the brains trust recommend that I go and buy a box of checks? Will ptting them on over the PC degrade accuracy, as I would have liked them checked prior to PCing.

I'm looking at around the 1900fps mark.

cheers

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 May 2019

yes, anything over 1400-1500 usually needs gas checks, and anything over 1300 will be more reliably accurate with gas checks.

with RE7 and checks, you might get up around 2100 or more velocity with 2 to 3 moa accuracy, without a lot of work.  once you get around 2000 fps, it would be better to go to a medium burning powder .... 4895 is a good bet.

the only rule with cast that seems to be true 95 % of the time is that the bullet diameter should be almost as large as the THROAT not barrel .  for competition, it should drag when chambering :::  for hunting, reliability in chambering is a big deal, ( visualize a stuck bullet deep in the woods ) so allow for tolerances... a thousandth is reasonable.

i like the RCBS silhouette molds for accuracy.  for hunting, the flatter the nose the better on deer etc. 

just some thoughts, please ask further about anything that comes up.

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
tony1960 posted this 15 May 2019

Thanks Ken, that was about my thoughts too. I've already let him know that I'll want a swag of GC's, so am hoping they will stay on post PC. The projectiles measure up 310 with my calipers so should fit the leade I hope.

Tony

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 15 May 2019

Hi Tony. To your question of PC over the GC, that's what I do. After casting, I'll set and seat the check using a Lee push through or Lyman 450 with GC tool. Then I'll powder coat and resize again using the Lee push through sizer. I've found that the PC will often make the base too thick to seat the check well. Ed 

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • tony1960
lotech posted this 15 May 2019

I've had this mould a long time, but haven't used it in many years, only because I prefer a heavier bullet in .30 caliber. I tried four powders with it in .308; 5744, H4895, 2230, and Reloder 7. Reloder 7 gave best accuracy loaded to around 1800 fps with a .310" bullet of about 16 BHN. 

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 15 May 2019

My experience is similar to Lotech’s, hardness and diameter.

I used that bullet in a Rem XP-100 single shot bolt action pistol, in what was called a 308 x 1 1/2 (today 30 BR). Multiple powders were used but IMR 4895 worked “best”. It was used mainly for handgun silhouette matches out to 200-meters, iron sights, 15” barrel. Some call these guns “hand rifles”. IIRC the MVA was in the 2,000 FPS neighborhood.

I have zero experience with powder coating.

Recently I’ve been playing with the RCBS 30-130 Sil in a different handgun. I’ve owned all of the RCBS 30 caliber silhouette variations at one time or another. The 180 grain version was probably the best and these molds are good quality production, non-custom molds.

Tom

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 15 May 2019

IMR 4227 has proven itself for me with either the RCBS 30-165-SIL or 30-180-SP in the 308.

R.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
pat i. posted this 15 May 2019

Don't know squat about powder coating but 28 grains of Varget with greased bullets always shot well for me in the .308 and 30 BR, along with a few Wildcats. That bullet is just right for a 1 1/2 degree included throat.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 May 2019

i can't resist adding that if working up new loads for a strange rifle ... you really need to have the gun in hand to test fit .... real early in the process.

and load one, try one for fit; if for magazine use, be sure to try that.   after getting loads to fit, then load 3 to shoot, or 3 each of several different loads.  testing for terrible, not for best of best.

nothing worse than a cigar box of loaded ammo that doesn't fit or doesn't group.  if in a hurry, buy factory ammo.

after you finally get that cigar box full, if for serious use, try each and every cartridge through his gun.  safely.  i now have a lee factory crimp die for every caliber i shoot often, they are very handy; use gently.

just some thoughts.   ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • tony1960
Tom Acheson posted this 15 May 2019

Ken has some very good suggestions.

On the last one, the Lee Factory Crimp die, Ed Harris suggested that I use it, at least for semi-autos. For me that includes M-1 Garand, .38 Special (S&W Model 52),  Walther P-38, .45 ACP. I use it on just about everything I load including a BPC rifle and 3 revolvers.

Tom

Attached Files

Close