308 small rifle primer cases

• Last Post 11 December 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
gunauthor posted this 10 December 2018

I have a home built 308 and would like to try it with cast bullets.  I see where Starline has 308 small rifle primer brass and was wondering if it offered any advantages over large rifle primers.  Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frnkeore posted this 11 December 2018

I've not found that using 30 America brass, it's 30/30 brass with small rifle primer pockets.

I thought at first it was better but, in the long run, it doesn't seem to be. I still use it as a tuning tool, when working up accurate loads.

Frank

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
gunauthor posted this 11 December 2018

Thanks for all the info.  I think I'll pass on getting any small primer brass and work to make regular brass do the job.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
frnkeore posted this 10 December 2018

I would give them a try, in the 30 BR or 308 x 1 1/2 but, in the full length case, I don't think it will be a advantage.

There was a 22 caliber, based on the full length, 308 (forgot the name of it), they used bushed primer pockets, so they could use the small primers. It caused hang fires, in that application.

Remington used to make a small primer, full length 308 but, it was mostly made to shorten to the shorter match cases.

Frank

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 December 2018

i think i still have some small primer remmy 308 win. cases ... if interested , i will see if i can find them.   had 100, made 40 into 243 win. cases, still have 60 in 308 ... .... i think, maybe, ... ( g ) ...  pm me if

with my 2 moa plinker loads in my 243 i couldn't tell any difference.  still have the 243 srp, if anybody b  interested .

ken

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 11 December 2018

I heard that the advantage with small rifle primers was consistency. Right? Wrong? If so are they better than "match" lrp's?

Attached Files

Close