308 x 1 1/2 sizing die

• Last Post 01 September 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
Fitzpatrick posted this 25 August 2020

looking to build a 308 x 1 1/2  rifle and wondering about dies ,where would a guy look for a set of dies

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 25 August 2020

CH4D, Huntingtons, RCBS, Redding.............

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Geargnasher
RicinYakima posted this 25 August 2020

If you are willing to go back to the 1960's for the original Barnes case, CH4D dies are excellent.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
mashburn posted this 25 August 2020

Hello Fitzpatrick

You can always do what I did while getting ready to build a .458 American. I kept watching ebay and gunbroker until I found some. The first set that I found had a bidder that wanted them far worse than I did. The second set, a RCBS set, I bought quite reasonable. It took me over a year. But guess what, I still don't have that rifle completed. But it is in the line of projects to get completed. I saw a set of .308x1/2 somewhere recently but can't remember who had them. If I think of it, I'll let you know.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Bud Hyett
billwnr posted this 25 August 2020

mill the bottom off of regular .308 dies if you need them bad enough.

Attached Files

I had wondered about doing that ,I don't have the machining equipment that should be used but I have cut down dies with a grinder to make trim dies suppose it would able to do the same to make do with until i find someone wanting to part with a set . thanks all for the input it is appreciated   James

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 25 August 2020

after you do, chamfer the inside edge of the die.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Tom G posted this 25 August 2020

James.   I have a set of Redding 308 X 1.5" dies I will sell if you are interested.  PM me for the particulars and If you don't want them they are available for anyone else.  

Tom 

Attached Files

sent you a message 

Attached Files

Tom G posted this 31 August 2020

James,  check your personal messages.   Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 September 2020

for odd jobs, such as cutting die bodies in half .....

don't forget the greatest tool of the 20th century ...

the dremel tool grinder ... and it's miracle cut-off discs .. buy 2 tubes of the discs, with extra mandrel ...  and you can buy diamond impregnated discs, and extra large discs ...  buy a CARBIDE 1/8 inch grinding burr, you will find uses for that quickly.  also buy an extra set of brushes and change them before the motor grinds itself into electrical heaven, in about 1-2 hours of use .  buy the variable speed motor it is more adaptable.

with that and a good file, you can do amazing things.  

oh, buy a full face clear shield, the discs are brittle, an experience-acquired skill .

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
mashburn posted this 01 September 2020

Hello Ken, you old night owl

Glad to see you post good things about the Dremel tool. The shame is that so many of the accessories  that were available years ago are no longer available anymore. For example: the attachment that you clamped the grinder in and put in the tool post holder and it made a fine little tool post grinder. I made one of these after I found pictures of them. It makes a fine little light duty tool post grinder. I have one of the little Dremel drill press assemblies that you can leave vertical for minute drilling and turn it horizonal. I keep it handy on one end of my work bench and keep a very fine mounted stone in it and when ever I need to sharpen a small tool  it's ready to go. The biggest problem with Dremel tools; my hands shake a lot more than they used to. 

Hey, my wife's phone just sent out a warning buzzer, it's probably a flood advisory because I haven't heard the tornado warning siren go off.

It's raining at the present at 20 in the morning and we're forecast to get about 5 inches in the next two or three days. I don't know if any of it is going to go your way or not .I took the grand daughter her 400.00 dollar softball bat this afternoon and boy was she happy. I got lots and lots of hugs.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close