fast twist 38-55

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 29 June 2009
phenspost posted this 30 November 2008

I think I made a mistake by installing a12 inch twist on my 38-55 highwall. Can't get it to shoot anything, from 250,300 grain bullets. What's wrong?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
4060may posted this 01 December 2008

smokeless or BP?  what constitutes “get it to shoot anything?

Attached Files

PETE posted this 02 December 2008

Man! That's a lot of twist for a .38/55. I shoot 330 gr. bullets in a 1-15” twist with excellent results.

Altho I'm not a great believer in over stabilization I'd say this would be your main problem.

Off hand I'd say you need to go to a much heavier bullet, but how much that would be, I don't have a clue.

PETE

Attached Files

Mauserman posted this 02 December 2008

A few years back I put q 444 marlin on a mauser action...:cool: Wanting to build something to shoot out of the bench and “different".. I used a 1-12 twist barrel big heavy 1 1/4” all the way... Gun was really put together for something to laugh about...:) Had to use a big long cast bullet ot get it to shoot but it really shot well.. 365gr bullet and it would put them on the mark all day... Still have the rifle and have put many hours at the range with it.. Made for a real enjoyable rifle once you got it to the bench....:lovecast: MM

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 02 December 2008

All you need is a bullet that stays in balance on takeoff and as it traverses the bore.   You solution is simple.  -  Go to LBTMoulds.com and order out a pack of 375 push through slugs and a set of 375 rifle throat slugs.  Make the throat slug per the instructions and try a push through from breech to muzzle.  If the push through slides smoothly all the way and exits with slight resistance the barrel is in good enough shape to shoot well.  If the push through feels jerky, doesn't slide smoothly all the way, or gets loose at the muzzle, the barrel needs lapping.

Send the slugs back to LBT, along with any comments you think are important about them, along with an order for a bullet mold, or, if you have any questions, email me before you send, or after sending.  When you order the mold pick the weight and type bullet you want to shoot, but leave the door open for me to twist things as I see fit, with your sanction of coarse, which I'll get by email if things look too bizarre.  Order a lap kit of coarse if the push through slugs indicate that lapping is required.

When the mold arrives you will be pleasantly supprised by the stellar accuracy or I will refund the  price of the mold.  All this only if the gun shoots jacketed accuratly now, or if the bore condition as measured by the push through slugs proove the barrel needs lapping.

Just in case you are wondering, I'm pretty cocky sure of myself about that first line I wrote.  Veral

Attached Files

phenspost posted this 13 December 2008

Thanks Veral; first of all this is my first time on a bulletin board and I like the input. The barrel may be generic? but I thought I had ordered from Green Mountain, although there is no stamp on the barrel. I've slugged the extra piece which was cut off the end of the barrell and the slug comes out .372 groove and .368 bore. The chamber was cut to WW size brass (new)no freebore. Could I use paper patch bullets in this,accepting the fact that less powder ( black) could be used.

Attached Files

Jim w. posted this 14 December 2008

Groove diameter .372” is tiny for a .38-55. The new Pedersoli 12” twist has a .372” bore diameter, .379” groove. What diameter bullets have you been shooting in it? Cast that way or sized way down?

I think you would do well to take Veral up on his kind offer.

Dan Theodore has a high BC 360 grain bullet designed for the Pedersoli, but you would sure have to have a heart to heart talk with Paul Jones about the right diameter for your barrel.

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 14 December 2008

I see no reason why paper patch wouldn't work just fine. As for barrel diameter, don't fret so much about that as in getting the case neck swelled up to a close chamber neck fit. -- When the primer pops the cartridge neck slaps out against the chamber and the bullet is soft as with traditional BP loadings, swells up to a tight fit, sagged out of shape like a cow pie, if one looks at the true precision required for accuracy. Get you bullet out there to begin with and it will enter the rifling with a lot better balance. I make this type bullet with the first band cut close as I can hold to groove diameter and the rest of the bullet at the desired size to diameter and not more than .0015 more than that, guaranteed tolerance. Cast from an alloy that you can get up to 20 + bhn and accuracy will stun you.

Attached Files

phenspost posted this 15 December 2008

Thanks Veral! I've sent for the push though and the chamber casting from LBT. Once done with that we (with your help if you can) can figure out the precise bullet required and go from there. I appreciate your input and help. 

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 18 December 2008

Thank you for the appreciation. You'll fall in love with LBT once you get your hands on one of our molds fitted to your gun. Keep in mind I keep one shoulder available for customers to cry on at all times. Just email with any problems and I'll help you work them out till the promise I made above comes true.

Attached Files

excess650 posted this 29 June 2009

I know its an old thread, but......I had a 30-30 barrel rebored/rechambered to 38-55 some years back.  It was ordered 1-16", but delivered 1-12".  As I recall its .368"x.376” 4 groove, and shoots remarkably well with the Lyman 375449 hard or relatively soft.  I've also tried various weights from 150gr to 305gr, and it doesn't seem to be fussy.  Keep in mind my loads were with smokeless in a levergun.

Attached Files

Close