30x338

• Last Post 22 February 2017
Lee posted this 18 February 2017

Trying to make a good cast bullet load for 30x338. So far I've tried Accurate #31-175B FPGC with 15.25gr of BR-5 with a Win LR primer. This is a low pressure low velocity load. Bullets sized to .311” for the first three bands then bore riding. Neck sizing and bullet seating done in  Wilson dies. Bullets seated for about .020” jam. Accuracy is good.

Does anyone have experience with this cartridge and cast bullets?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
muley posted this 20 February 2017

what cartridge are u using as parent cartridge? I habve gone in the other direction and use a 6Br case blown out to a 338, with 35 gr varget and a 252 gr bullet.

Attached Files

Lee posted this 20 February 2017

I'm using 338 Win Mag as a parent cartridge. Your 6Brx338 sounds interesting. What are you getting out of it?

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 20 February 2017

Not this cartridge, but a similar case for a .300 Winchester Magnum. The shooter was trying to get a practice load that did not beat his shoulder .We experimented for a while and ended up with SR 4759 and a 200 grain bullet since the throat was long. The rifle was a target rifle set up for 600 and 1.000 yard shooting. .  

The large case volume requires special handling. The load only filled one-third of the case, tapping it on the bench before each shot was standard procedure. It was fun to experiment, but the end result was not competitive for matches.  

Years ago in the Pacific Northwest, Roy Smith campaigned a .338 BR case on a 788 action that was very competitive. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

muley posted this 21 February 2017

I have not chrono it. I gets.5-.6 groups at 100 yds and around 385-390 on the score target . it is a bore ride bullet. the Accurete

340270e  mould. the bullet is only held in the case by the gas chek. thepowder comes to the bottom of the gas chek. it is improving daily.

Attached Files

Lee posted this 21 February 2017

In the Accurate catalog I"m seeing #340270F. What's the difference between “e” and “F"?

Attached Files

muley posted this 21 February 2017

sometimes the old memory doesn"t catch up. it is the F model. the 252 gr is in lino. a 50/50 mix is about 263 gr. it would be a good bullet to try in your 338. if u need some samples pm me. be sure to clean ur barrel of all copper. scrub it clean with Isso paste, so u can get somewhat accurate results with lead. I also have a Ruger M77 in 338mag I am going to start to play with. I neglected to say my 338Br is in a Unrestricted Pistol.

Attached Files

Lee posted this 22 February 2017

Thanks for the information. All the copper is gone from this barrel. Haven't shot any jacketed bullets in years from this rifle. 

Attached Files

Close