"M1 Carbine" "accuracy loads"?

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 23 August 2009
NuJudge posted this 20 December 2008

I know the two terms are usually mutually exclusive, but does anyone have any suggestions?

CDD

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 20 December 2008

What are you shooting? GI Issue or a Plainfield? Have you slugged the bore? GC or PB Bullets? I have been doing some work with Bullseye that looks promising that will cycle in my Plainfield using a old H&G PB bullet. I also have a Ruger BH in 30 Carb I have been tinkering with. I use a Lyman 32/20 bullet in that piece that is working fairly well. If you would like I have a bunch of the H&G bullets cast up and also have some of the 32/20 bullets if you would like to try them. Send me a PM and I will get some to you.

Attached Files

NuJudge posted this 20 December 2008

I just got a CMP Inland-made M1 Carbine, and other than clean out a lot of Italian cosmolene, I've done nothing.

As the barrel is Inland manufacture, I have some faith that the groove diameter is .308".

Bullseye scares me, especially in a case with a relatively long case.

I need to have these feed out of the magazine, semi-auto. I'll shoot the rifle in the CMP M1 Carbine match, and these loads are to practice with.

I have a .311359 (gas check) mold, and a Lee 120gr RN gas check on order.

I'm looking to see what other people find works.

CDD

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 December 2008

The reason I use bullseye is I am shooting a pb bullet. I am too darn cheap to put a GC on these. Yeah there are some concerns, but I found that 5.0 grs seems to work fairly well. I dont think 10.0 grs of H110 with a pb bullet would be a non leading combo.

I also have a small Eagan bullet a little longer than the Lyman. Would be a good choice for seating deep enough to be used in a magazine with a reduced charge. I think you could run that with 8-9 grs of H110 and get some decent accuracy. I havent tried this yet, but it looks good enough to try. It is a trucated cone bullet so it should feed fairly well.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 20 December 2008

CDD,

:) Know what you mean about accuracy in the Carbine being mutually exclusive. I bought a GI issue Winchester. Paid good money to get an all correct one, and patterns were the best I could get with it. Sent for a replacement barrel and it will shoot around 2” to 2 1/2” at 100 yd. now with the issue sights. Here's my load.

13 grs. of SR 4759 NEI 120308 GC bullet 50/50 Lino/WW alloy NRA lube Win. SR primers OAL to function thru the clips MV - 1809 fps ES - 38 fps

PETE

Attached Files

feathered posted this 23 March 2009

Back in the early 1970's I had a Winchester M1 Carbine that I shot a lot of WW bullets through. We experimented with a number of different moulds. We ended up with a conical fp mould from Lyman that casted 118 gr bullets and used gas checks. As I recall, 11.5 gr of H-110 powder put them puppies into 1” at 100 yds. The mould is #311441. If you come across one of these moulds grab it up. This was the only mould design that shot this good in our Carbines back then. If you go for this combination, you best double check the manuals recommendations on the powder charge. I know it worked very well in our carbines is all!

~ Ed ~

:riflebr:

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 March 2009

When I shot an M1 carbine many years ago, I got best results with an old Ideal #3118 115-gr. flatnose for the .32-20, cast of wheelweights, sized .311, using Tamarack Alox-Beeswax and the lightest charge of Unique which would cycle the action, about 5.5 grs. as I recall.

A nominal “caseful” of 4198 or RL-7 WITHOUT compression works well with cast bullets in the .32 H&R Magnum, .32-20 and .357 Magnum rifles would be worth a try in the carbine.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 12 April 2009

I have 130 grain lead bullets cast by the famous Scott Merchant (thanks Scott) for my National Postal Meter. Any suggested powders? I was thinking Unique. How many grains to start? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks and Happy Easter!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 April 2009

M1fuzz wrote: I have 130 grain lead bullets cast by the famous Scott Merchant... Any suggested powders? I was thinking Unique. How many grains to start?  I would try 5 grs. of Unique and see if that cycles.  If it doesn't, increase as needed but no more than 6grs. Also you could try 8-10 grs. of #2400, 10-12 grs. of 4227 or as much RL-7 as the case will hold without compression, about 13 grains.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 13 April 2009

Great!!! Thank you.

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 25 April 2009

Well, I used the NPM in a match last week. It did pretty well. 130 grn cast plain base. 12 grains of RL#7. Not bad. Cycled the action reliably. Groups were ok. I noticed on the cases that were capped w/ Winchester small rifle primers shot tighter than CCI 400s. I'm going to go up to 12.2 grains of RL#7 and see if that tightens up a little more. I'm also going to try some 2400. Ed, thanks for the load info!!!

Attached Files

QuickRick posted this 25 April 2009

I've had my best luck with H-110 and AA #9 powders.  Both are of similar burn rates.  13.5 grs of H-110 does a pretty fair immitation of 110 grn FMJ ball ammo POI and MV from my Inland Carbine with 110 to 120 grn cast bullets. It's the load I shoot the most.  My Inland is persnickity about feeding anything but round nose bullets. Unfortunate, since my little Marlin M62 30 Carbine prints the little Lee 112 grn FN gas check bullets as well as anything, including jacketed bullets.  The Marlin likes H-110 so well I never experimented much with other powders for full power loads.... Good luck. For my money the 30 Carbine is one of the funest guns to shoot there is....

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 25 April 2009

I'll agree it is a riot to shoot. Our club is now trying a carbine class. Should be fun. How much #9 you think to start w/ a 130 grain cast bullet? I use #9 w/ my 357 Sig reloads in which it does excellent work.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 August 2009

Fuzz

I cast 311359 have 2 molds for such. In the carbine I had at one time loaded 12 grn of 2400. There is no accuracy element with a carbine. The gun was built to go to War with. That meant rain, mud, and little if any cleaning. The generous tolerances on the reciever and adjoining parts were like the energizer bunny kept on ticking and sprayed lead in the general direction of the enemy. Overall the carbine with a .45 as backup our guys survived Korea and Nam with them. The remaining Garrands, Sprngfields, and later .223's were more desirable most would claim. 

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Close