RCBS or Lyman

• 6K Views
  • Last Post 25 December 2016
Terrier posted this 02 January 2009

For the same price, which would be the better choice for my first sizer/lubricator.  The RCBS without heater or the Lyman with the heater and an explination of your choice.

Thanks,

Terrier

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GBertolet posted this 05 January 2009

I have both.Either will work great.But I feel the linkage is stronger on the RCBS. I have broken the linkage on the Lyman already. You don't really need a heater unless you want to use the hard lubes or your sizer is in an unheated area.If you were unaware,the Lyman and RCBS sizer dies and top punches are interchangable.Good luck!

Attached Files

Shawn McGaughey posted this 10 January 2009

I have both RCBS and Lyman. I would recommend the RCBS as they have better warranty. When things break Lyman sells you replacement parts, RCBS sends them no charge.

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 January 2009

I'll agree on the RCBS it's a better machine and customer service is a lot better.

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 10 January 2009

RCBS is my choice for the reasons already stated.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 January 2009

The gentleman that commented on the RCBS sizer having better linkage must be talking about a Lyman 4500. No way does a RCBS have stronger linkage than a Lyman 450 and I have never broken anything on my Lyman 45.

Hey Fred, I bought my first Lyman/Nagy/Culver powder thrower from you at Kelbly's in 1977.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 11 January 2009

You are correct!, the Lyman press I have was of the previous generation.I see now they updated it. I should have been more specific.Still, quality for the money and manufacturer support ,the RCBS is still a superior product in my humble opinion.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 January 2009

I have both as well, I have 3 450's that I bought used and then bought the upgrade kits from Lyman that corrects the linkage problem.

I like the double oring on the Lyman piston opposed to the RCBS's single, that may be just a matter of personal preference.

For the record as far as the sizing dies and the interchangeability.. Lyman dies works in either but when using in a RCBS I notice more of a excess lube pile up under the bullet.

I think RCBS dies are made just a touch differently as I do not have that problem to the same extreme when I use the RCBS die in the RCBS luber.

I like Lyman for seating gas checks better, again I have modified the ejector punch so it is flat and not concave. Makes for nice flat bases when using gas checks, but the concave works better with plain based bullets.

The RCBS customer service is far superior to Lyman for the reasons already stated, but I hear they have new owners and we will have to wait and see if this continues.

Either way you go would be a good choice.

Attached Files

hicard posted this 10 February 2009

I just called RCBS yesterday wanting to purchase a whole lube assembly as I stripped out the pressure rod threading when I allowed the lube to get too low. I was pleasantly surprised when the kind lady told me that it is on its way FREE! They must be learning from Dillon. I am very happy with my RCBS lube-a-matic 2 and the warranty service by RCBS.

Attached Files

keeper89 posted this 11 March 2009

:dude:I will be returning my 30 year old LAM body to RCBS tomorrow to be either repaired or replaced. Through the years I have had to use customer service twice for the unit, both times because I muscle-nutted the depth adjustment screw sleeve and snapped it in two. This time I managed to strip the threads out in the lower part of the housing that accepts the sizing die. Not a problem with RCBS, just a “please send it in and we will either repair or replace it at no charge and oh, by the way, thank you for using our products".......they have been way good to me and a lot of other folks which is why I don't hesitate to buy and use their products.

Attached Files

Terrier posted this 11 March 2009

Gentleman,

I wish to thank you for all the replys.  It has been very educational and informative.

Terrier

Attached Files

vito DeAngelis posted this 17 April 2009

Terrier:

My reply is late and you've probably decided by now, but if not...

I've been using a SAECO lubri-sizer for 25+ years and it's still working great. Redding now makes them and I added a Redding 4 years ago to hold a different lube.

What I especially like about these sizers is that they have a spring-loaded / pressurized reservoir, so a bunch of bullets can be done before you have to make any adjustments to the lube handle. And alignment is perfect.

Redding products carry a lifetime warrenty, but I don't know how 'real' it is because I've never used it. Nothing has ever broken!  :D:D

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 17 April 2009

I have two Lyman and two rcbs.

I prefer the RCBS macines and Lyman H& I  dies.

Attached Files

Eddie Southgate posted this 21 December 2016

I love my Ideal # 1 but am gonna buy a new RCBS to for my son's to use so I can keep the Ideal in good condition , It is an early one and still looks like it just came out of the box . Wish I had the box !

Eddie

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun......Do Not Touch .

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 21 December 2016

RCBS hands down.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 21 December 2016

I'd vote for the Saeco as well. Yes, the initial cost is more as are the dies. But they are indestructible. I have two. The first, I bought new over 45 years ago and then added a second some time back for black powder lube. The only problem that I ever had was the leather washer inside the old sizer finally gave out after 20 years. Got a new one from Redding only it was neoprene this time. Back in business. Still going strong.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 December 2016

I have a pair of the 4500's and a 45 . Never had a 450 . The linkage on my 4500's have snapped maybe 8 times . Usually when I order the dog legs from Lyman I get maybe 4-6 at a crack . I had one of the RCBS Lubrisizers I bought used , but I never used it someone offered me an amount for it that gave me a tidy profit so it's no longer in my possesion !

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 22 December 2016

Wow you guys are hard on stuff. I've never broken one, not even my old 45 lyman.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David Reiss
David Reiss posted this 23 December 2016

Great answer Mike (aka The HULK) 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 23 December 2016

RCBS for strength and customer service. I own RCBS, Lyman 450, SAECO, and Star; the RCBS and Lyman dies are interchangeable. SAECO dies are unique ot the sizer as are Star. You can order custom sizes from several website and these are better dies for size and finish plus they are price-competitive.. 

Talking to the RCBS manufacturing engineer at a NRA Annual Meeting many years ago, he told me they have a specialty piloted cutted that bores all holes in the sizer die setup. They bought this to assure alignment of the pathway.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 25 December 2016

I have both without the heater. I'very been using a Lyman 450 since 1974. A few years ago I thought I'd  "upgrade” with a Lubimatic! It wasn'the the upgrade I thought it would be. I hardly use it at all and keep a .224 sizing die in it.

Attached Files

Close