Lyman 4500's

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 06 February 2009
6pt-sika posted this 12 January 2009

I bought a Lyman 4500 with a electrode heater when they first came out !

That was back about 2002 I think . Used it with no problems until the spring of 2008 ! Then the little screw cap that goes over the sizing die and holds them in kinda stripped the threads .

Called Lyman and they tell me it happens and they can sell me a new casting for $50 !

So instead of that I ordered ANOTHER 4500 with a heater . Whole thing was about $130 . Later I had a guy where I was working at the time rethread it and make me a new cap to hold the dies in ! Still works alright but it ain't the way it came from the factory !

Then yesterday I was using my newer second 4500 and the rod that goes down thru the lube came up thru the bottm of the casting !

I haven't called Lyman yet to complain but I will ! And even though I've not had this one a year yet I bet they don't replace the cheap casting again !

Now I know anyhting is possible and maybe I got one that had a void or whatever in the cast iron . But I am wondering if this is something that has happened to many others ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
wizzbang posted this 13 January 2009

As a newby trying to find equipment I was going to ask about what is a good luber-sizer to obtain. It sounds to me like the corporations are becoming more interested in quantity than quality. From some of the comments I have seen on other sites, it seems that some of the newer equipment leaves a bit to be desired.

Attached Files

circle141 posted this 13 January 2009

Sir.

I have a Lyman #45 and a Lyman #450. both have 10's of thousands of cast bullets through them and worked well. I have noted that Lyman is having trouble with the 4500. On a diferent note, I have had three Lyman #2500 tumblers replaced in one year. Sent them back and had to pay the shipping each time. Replaced it with a Dillon, much better.

Mike Circle
                       [email protected]

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 January 2009

Well I called Lyman this morning and talked to a gentleman who was a CSR .

Told him about the problem with my FIRST 4500 and then related that I went ahead last spring and purchased a second 4500 as opposed to getting the $50 dollar casting .

Then I went on to tell him how the lube rod had busted up thru the bottom of the reservoir .

His response was that he was certain Lyman would either repair it or replace it ! Personally I would prefer they replaced it , but repaired is better then nothing provided it holds up !

Anyway they tell me usual turn around is 2 weeks from my door and back again ! But with the current state of affairs in this country to expect 3 weeks round trip !

So I will see if I can get this thing stripped and sent today or tommorrow !

Attached Files

concho posted this 30 January 2009

My 450 also broke the threaded rod , bottom of it has a cap and it just broke off , I ordered another one , I am going to weld the old one and have a spare .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 31 January 2009

My “first” 4500 stripped the threads over the sizing die after about 5 years last spring .

So when they told me the warrenty was over I just got a second complete machine and had a guy at the factory I used to work make me a new nut and recut the threads . And it works great !

This second 4500 has been in my possesion less then 9 months I think ! They have the casting now and I am hoping to recieve a fixed or new one in the next week or so !

Besides the two 4500's I also have a pretty old 45 thats never ever given me a minutes trouble .>

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 January 2009

6pt-sika wrote: My “first” 4500 stripped the threads over the sizing die after about 5 years last spring . I was having trouble with the sizing die nut threads on my 450 quite a few years ago. I buffed out the threads with a Dremel wire wheel to clean them up.

Looking over the situation this is what I do now:  I insert the die into the nut and then into the body. Then slip the wrench over the nut. Then I drop the ram (with no top-punch) down on the nut and wrench the nut down and tight. The ram holds the nut perfectly in alignment every time. Haven't had a bit of trouble on any 3 of my 450s. I don't know if this is in the Lyman instructions or not since I bought them used. Hope this helps someone.............Dan

Attached Files

concho posted this 31 January 2009

That's how I do it ! Thanks Dan

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 01 February 2009

Me too.~AMMOe

Attached Files

454PB posted this 03 February 2009

In addition to the above advise on the die retaining nut, don't crank the lube pressure screw when the sizer is cold or the when the lube reservoir is empty. That's what breaks the threaded rod.....too much pressure.

I've broken both of my Lyman 450's handle mechanisms by trying to size too much or too hard of an alloy, but neither has ever had the pressure screw failure. My oldest one is 37 years old and has sized hundreds of thousands of bullets.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 03 February 2009

I'm glad you pointed that out, 454PB. My 450 is 25 years old and early on, I was applying pressure to lube a bullet. It came out dry so back in the die it went. A little more pressure, then I realized something was wrong only to find the resevoir empty! It wouldn't have taken much more before it broke. I felt that same rise in pressure one time, backed the plunger all the way out, thinking the resevoir was empty only to find it half full. Application of the wife's hair dryer got things moving again.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 February 2009

Well the Fedex guy was knocking on my door last night about 7PM . He had a box from Lyman for me .

They saw fit to send me a new casting instead of trying to repair the old one ! I put the 4500 back together and it laying on my bench waiting to be bolted back down .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 February 2009

Nothing against my Lyman 4500's as I like them just fine when they are working .

But the first chance I get to buy a RCBS Lubrisizer I'm gonna get one just for use with SPG and BPCR bullets .

I was thinking about doing that with my old Lyman 45 but an additional RCBS unit might just be a good edition and since all my TP's and sizers will fit the RCBS thats the way to go over a Saeco unit .

I know no normal sane person needs FOUR lube sizers but what the heck .>

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 February 2009

6pt-sika wrote: I know no normal sane person needs FOUR lube sizers but what the heck .> That is like saying no one needs more than ONE gun!!!!! .>

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 February 2009

Dan Willems wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: I know no normal sane person needs FOUR lube sizers but what the heck .> That is like saying no one needs more than ONE gun!!!!! .>

Go on the leverguns forum and read my thread about First and Second Model 444's . I am about at the point that I have a seperate RIFLE for each mold :D

There's a fine line between hobby and obsession :cool:

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 06 February 2009

Sometimes we have to rationalize our obsessions. I currently have a Lyman 450 set up with SPG for BPCR and a Star for PB pistol bullets. The Star won't handle the gas check bullets and I'm not big on changing lubes in the Lyman, so I think I need another, maybe a RCBS.:idea1:

See what you guys have done to me!

Attached Files

Close