323378 LYMAN IN 8MM MAUSER

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 03 July 2009
linoww posted this 23 January 2009

i was given a 323378 Lyman from a friend to test out in my Yugo 8mm with target sights with near mint bore(for sale here on the forum maybe;).I loaded 16.0 of 2400 and seated it out so the front driving band engaged.Nose did not engage rifling so i Loaded 20 up with no faiht in it shooting.While I clicked the sights up the target to get a zero with the first 5 shots all were in a fairly straight line and got me exited.Fist 5 at the bull were near 1",but i shot 5 more into the group.I then fired the last five at another bull.Groups were 2.2 for 10(shown) and 1.2 for the 5 shot group.Not too bad considering i never had much faith in this designs accuracy looking at the pictures of it in the old Lyman catalogs.At a whopping 240g in WW/Lino it should be a wind bucker.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 23 January 2009

5 shot group

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 January 2009

You're a better man than me George.  I could NEVER get that sucker to shoot in the VZ33 I once owned.  In hind sight I reckon the nose was undersized for my rifle.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 January 2009

I am willing to accept it as the “fluke group syndrom"I loaded 50 more to shoot today and i bet results wont be as good!

This particular mold casts .324 on the body and the first .200 or so of the nose is .319 before it tapers to nothingness.(1p lino/3p WW)When chambering the front band engraves with 4 nice “tick” marks,but the nose doesnt hit at all.If i drop the nose into the muzzle it stops about 3/16 in front of the body.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 January 2009

Reshoot a success! The first 5 shot group @ 100 was 7/8".I clicked up the sight to get a better zero and the next 10 went into 1-11/16” with 9 of them into 1.5".I shot my last 5 after i moved it over to center,but group was about 2".Now I need to shoot all 50 to see if it can keep shooting especially & 200.

.If anybody has a 2 cavity 323378 for sale i am interested.

George Damron

Attached Files

Handloader posted this 26 May 2009

Hi, good material. I also have an 8mm Mauser and this will be reliable info. I was also wondering if anybody had any info on buying another barrel for my British Enfield No4 Mk1* in .303.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 May 2009

Nice shootin' George! Thanks for the info, it gives me hope for my old Mausers. I like the 8x57.

Attached Files

rno172 posted this 03 July 2009

If anybody has a 2 cavity 323378 for sale i am interested.

George Damron

If anybody has this mould I would also be interested in buying one.

-Andre

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 03 July 2009

i shot a 97 4x at 100 yards with that bullet 2 weeks ago in my yougo 24-47 i just hope i can repeat it. if i can i will shoot it in georges match in the tri cities in august. joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 03 July 2009

could you post a pic of the boolet? this may be what i need for my 32-40. thanks, mike

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 03 July 2009

I just checked its in the 1957 handbook,but not in 2007 cat.very long nose.:coffee

looks like 311299.

Attached Files

Close