Storage of BP

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 20 February 2010
CB posted this 09 February 2009

What is the safe way to store black powder? I already have a double walled stainless syeel cabinet cabinet for my modern gun powders, which it is getting full at the moment.

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 09 February 2009

Store all powders in small quantities in storage containers that will not contain an accidental burn. Sealed containment containers can act the same a loaded cartridge, it needs to be able to burn by accident without building pressure causing explosion.

Black powder's biggest enemy; MOISTURE and high heat. Smokeless powder; HEAT.  An old root cellar (aka bunker) would be great as long as its dry.  No temperature extremes there to draw condensation in sealed powder jugs.................Dan

Attached Files

big boar posted this 09 February 2009

Up here the regs are to store powder in a container with WOOD walls at least 1” thick, locked but not sealed to allow venting. Easy to make from regular 2x4's, size to suit, hinges and a hasp lock, easy to make. I store black separately as I think it is classified as an explosive where smokeless is classified as a flamable solid. I much prefere black to Pyrodex, as I shoot a caplock not an inline, but I feel uncomfortable storing it.

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 12 February 2009

How about storing powder in an old refirgerator?

Smokeless & black

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 12 February 2009

After reading the regs and talking to our EOD guys on post, I store mine outside in an air-tight container with 4 big bags of dessicant. The container is 24” X 18” X 14” high. I took the top and cut a 12” X 12” square out of the top, cut a 14” X 14” square of a similar plastic .125 thick and used gray RTV to glue it over the openning. This serves as a “blow-out” cover to release pressure if there is a problem.

Attached Files

25ring posted this 12 February 2009

I store mine under my reloading bench.That way if it all goes up in one big flash,at least I'll die happy and put on a big fireworks show for the neighbors!

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 15 February 2009

You remind me of a friend of mine. His house caught on fire, burned to the ground. The funny part was that about every 2 or 3 hours, some of his stashed ammo would cook off and re-start the fire. After the 4th time the fire department had to come out, the sherriff arrested him for vandalism! Said he was restarting the fire himself. Fortunately, the judge, and practically everyone else in that neck of the woods, know him pretty well and the charges were dismissed. 5 years later, the gun and ammo supplies are back to pre-fire levels. All's well and life is good.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 16 February 2009

I don't know how much powder you store. I only keep 2 or 3 pounds in the detached garage, in an old tool box, when I remember to put it back. CRS kicking in ( can't remember s**t). I try to keep smokeless and black in dfferent areas. Don't want a crater where my house used to be.

Bob D

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 16 February 2009

I buy it in 25# lots. An engineer buddy and I were discussing moving a 40' milvan one day. He told me that with 25# of a class 1 explosive (BP), he could move it 50 ft in any direction I wanted! Than milvan must weigh 4000#, at least.

cat1870, I wouldn't store the smokeless and black together. The refrigerator will work as long as you modify it with a blow-out panel.

Attached Files

RockChuck posted this 19 February 2010

Dan,

I just read your post on black powder storage from last year wherein you mentioned that moisture and heat could degrade BP.  I had long kown that BP could be ruined by moisture but I had thought that it was temperture stable at least up to the point of detonation.  I have stored a few lbs. in my unheated/unairconditioned shop year round for many years (decades).  I used and resupplied my BP much more consistantly in years past than now but I never rotated the older cans to the front.  As a result I now have (without going out to the shop to look for sure) Goex one lb. cans with three different design schemes as well as a couple of other brands of black that I tried to see if they would improve my shootin' (they didn't...it was me).  The temp extremes where I live are from around 0 degrees(rare) too 100 degrees(used to be rare...) and these extremes last only a few days to perhaps a couple weeks at most in most years.Average years are more like 15/20 >35/40 winter & high 80's/low 90's summer highs.  Summer shop interior closed up has hit 115>120 degress as it has dark roof and no vents/insulation.  Is my BP comprimised?  What is the high end temp. limit for BP storage?  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 February 2010

I like to store mine in brass containers plugged with a lead stopper. :-)

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

dromia posted this 20 February 2010

http://www.reloading.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smallbox.htm

Attached Files

Close