Saeco 22 caliber

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 18 March 2009
KenK posted this 21 February 2009

I just got this mould, casts .226 and about 58 grains with my (maybe) Lyman # 2.

It's a right good looking bullet to me.  Anybody else using it?

I'm going to send it out to have the gas check shank removed but wanted a few to try until I get it back.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 21 February 2009

I have had two of them and both of the shanks were too short for Hornady GC's and they shaved the bottom band when seated fully. How is the one you have?

I shot it in two 22-250 rifles and never got good accuracy compared to other  .22 designs.It fit the throats,cast well and was confusing why it wouldn't shoot under 1” in the two 1-10” twist rifles i tried it in.I like your idea of plainbaseing it,maybe if it works for you i'll have Erik Ohlen at HP Mold Service do mine.He said it wouldnt be a problem when i asked about having one of my 4 cavity 225415's plain based.I have about 10,000 22 GC that should last awhile,but for most casual shooting up to 100 a plainbase is fine.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 21 February 2009

I didn't really notice how short the gas check shank was until I sized and lubed them.  It is VERY short.  I don't have any gas checks to try, never have, never will. : )

I sure do like Saeco moulds, this one casts like a dream.

I'm sending this one and a couple others to Eric on Monday.

I tried out my Hoch mould today, it casts like a bad dream.  I'm throwing that thing in the trash.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 21 February 2009

I had a couple of Hoch molds that were “grainy"  looking and had odd chattered cavities that really were pretty poor casting and looking but shot well.They wernt worth the battle of getting them to release from the mold so i traded them off to a more patient shooter.They were the first ones Dave Farmer made after buying the buisness from Richard Hoch.What was wrong with your mold? 

Chauncy Roe, a Schuetzen shooter from Springfield Or. used to say you could trace the downfall of Western civilization to John Barlows introduction of the GC bullet.You would get along with him i bet.

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 22 February 2009

After a little preliminary shooting today, in a gale, at fifty yards; I have my doubts that this bullet is going to shoot as well as my NEI plain base.

I'm going to mothball my Model 700 .221 Fireball until I decide what to do with it and go back to the Bee.  Just finished swapping the scope out.

I don't know what the deal is with the Hoch mould.  It is a nose pour with a .075 meplat, I just can't get it to fill right.  I went through about three cycles of cold to way too hot and never got a bullet worth keeping.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 February 2009

I still have a few of the NEI's you sent me.I was amazed how well it shot even though the nose seemed undersized and the body too short.If you remember i “bumped” 10 of them to fit the throat of my Savage.Well...your bullet as designed shot 10 into 9/16@ 50 and my impovement shot 3” groups.Apparently i need to shoot first and then make judgements.

I wonder if anyone has had good luck with the SAECO .22, it seems your results are following mine.If you find an RCBS 55 FN swoop it up.It is like a heavier 225415, but shoots as well as most 22's i have and would make a dandy plainbase.

I have an Eagan i fight like that Hoch of yours.I cant give up on it yet, but i have been close to selling it a few times.

Shot more 308403 Popes today.Good and some bad.I'll get it on the 30-06 plainbae thread after i sort the targets.

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 14 March 2009

Here it is with the gas check shank bored out.  I'll shoot some whenever it stops raining.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 14 March 2009

Did Erik Ohlen do the work? I went out to shoot my 22-250 yesterday and had wild results.Last time out it shot pretty well with the Eagan 62 and 13.5 of 2400.It usually takes 3-6 shots to settle,but yesterday it refused to settle at all.The first 6 shots were 3” but the last two shots were 1/2” apart.I moved over to the next bull and the first 4 were 1",but #5 went 3” high.I moved to the next bull and the first 8 were 2". But again the last two each went above and below the group 2".I fired one last group and it was a hollow 6".No leading present and this was all with the same lot of bullets and powder setting etc.This same load shot a few MOA groups the day before.( one 5 shot group at 200 went 1-7/8” !)Confusing the heck out of me.I might give the barrel a good soaking in Eds Red as i usually just dry brush and patch it before each session.

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 March 2009

Erik did the work; he did a couple others for me also and I'll  post pics when I get a chance.

Whenever a previously good load goes south; heavy cleaning is the first thing I think of.  I like kroil and jb bore paste for those occasions.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 March 2009

Not too bad for a first try.  Minute of squirrel head anyway.  Shot with a Ruger No. 1, .218 Bee.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 18 March 2009

Looks like i may have to send my #221 to Erik the way it seems to be working for you.What other molds did he do for you?

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 18 March 2009

linoww wrote: What other molds did he do for you?

George

A Lyman 311672 and a Saeco RG4 looking mould.

I shot a ten shot group at 100 yards today with the Saeco 22.  The group was kind of disapointing at 2 1/2” but it was nice and even with no gross flyers.

This was with a brand new set of brass and prior experience with this rifle tells me to expect somewhat tighter groups once the brass is fired and neck sized.

Attached Files

Close