PTG Uni Throater

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 13 April 2009
CB posted this 23 February 2009

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I just ordered one at .310 x 1 1/2* incl. and am looking for feedback.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
cityboy posted this 23 February 2009

<size=3>I don't know know what a PTG throater is; but I do have a JGS throater and have used it to rethroat two rifles. It seems to work OK. The JGS comes with guide bushings; I don't think all throaters come that way. AS I see it, trying to throat without bushings is a good way to get into trouble. Take a look at http://www.jgstools.com I assume they still offer the throaters. <size=3>Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 February 2009

The Uni Throater must be sort of the same set up as the JGS. It's a throater with a removeable pilot up front and bushing that slides over it to fit against the shoulder of the chamber. The back of the reamer is threaded for adjustment stops and you can run it either in the lathe or with a T-Handle that's included. Once I get it and try it out maybe I'll write up an article for the FS.

Attached Files

Largom posted this 24 February 2009

pat i. wrote: Anyone have any experience with one of these? I just ordered one at .310 x 1 1/2* incl. and am looking for feedback.

I have that exact same throater for my 308. Works VERY well.

Piece of advice: Check ALL dimensions before you use it. I got the wrong size twice, first one had wrong Dia. second one had wrong angle. They replaced both with appologies. Nice people to deal with and a very good tool.

Larry

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 February 2009

Thanks to both of you. I have quite a few reamers and throaters from Dave and haven't had a problem yet but there's always a first time. I wish you hadn't of even told me that because when I talked to Dave I thought he'd take the order himself but instead he switched me back to order dept. I've always ordered directly through him in the past and everything went smoothly and I got what I ordered.

Attached Files

Pat: Whats you going to throat, Joe

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 February 2009

i am not sure if it is in the instructions,but you need to turn it backwards slowly as you enter the throat before you start cutting.Bill Anderson gave me the tip when i was borrowing one from a buddy and it worked well.I think it helps start it straight,but i am not a machinist so who knows ?

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Joe, I'm going to throat a Browning 1885 in 30-30.

I don't know how 30-30s shoot as well as they do. I took a chamber measurement and the length is 2.150 compared to a 30-30 case which is around 2.040. I ordered some of the long 38-55 brass to see if I could fill it up but the walls are so thin that even after forming it was .326 with a .310 bullet seated. The shorter 38-55 brass was much better in this respect coming in at .331 with the .310 bullet but will leave a .050 gap between the end of the case and the beginning of the throat. I'd rather have a short case than a loose neck so will use the shorter 38-55 brass. I don't think the super sized 30-30 chamber is unique to this rifle because I've seen chamber casts of other 30-30s and it looks about the same.

I've never shot production class but want to try this thing out. I think the 30-30 would make a great cast bullet cartridge for this although the Browning won't be the best platform because it doesn't have the best trigger and it's not exactly the best bag gun.

George, Thanks for the tip and the instructions are on the PTG page. I've done my share of throating and turn the chuck backwards when finding out where to start even with a lathe. I've never done one by hand though and hope I can keep everything straight. Dave Kiff makes some excellent tools and says it does a good job so I don't expect any problems.

Attached Files

TomG posted this 24 February 2009

Pat, I don't know what Dave K. is selling as a Uni-Throater but whenever I throat a barrel outside the lathe, I always make up a bushing that fits in the back end of the chamber to guide the reamer right down the middle of the chamber.

A quick and dirty bushing can be made by using a shell casing for the chamber. Cut of the first inch of the back end, put it into a collet or 4 jaw and then indicate it on center in the lathe. I then bore it out to be a nice slip fit on the body of the throater reamer. Since it's tapered, just shove it into the chamber till it comes tight and then insert the reamer thru it. I've never gotten a crooked throat by using this method. It is possible to get a crooked throat if the chamber is crooked I guess.... I've seen some of those Brownings shoot pretty good on prairie dogs. My single shot CB gun is a 30 Herrett long neck on a 310 Martini action.

Tom Gray

Attached Files

Tom,

Thanks.

I was thinking about using a case but half the fun is buying things. I really won't know the whole story on the Uni Throater until it gets here but I'll write something up after I give it a whirl. From what Dave said it's caliber specific vs. cartridge specific so I guess it'll work on all the .30 cals except the Carbine and it's got a stop indicated in .005 increments, won't have to worry about crooked chambers either like you said. Sounds like a neat tool and considering it includes the T-Handle how can you go wrong.

How long is the the 30 Herrett LN?

Since you're here I'm gonna bug you about writing for the FS again. I always enjoyed the living H&!! out of your articles and miss them. I don't want to hear any excuses either because no matter what you've got enough stuff stored up for more than a few articles I'm sure. :)

Pat

Attached Files

Largom posted this 24 February 2009

Pat,

My 30 cal. unithroater has a .430 dia. sleeve which slides over the reamer. Using a cut off case as TomG stated is the best way to center if cutting by hand.

Larry

Attached Files

Well if my throater comes with a .430 sleeve I guess I'll be finding out because the 30-30 chamber's only .421 on the ass end although Dave K. said it would work. I'll just have to adopt a wait and see attitude.

Attached Files

TomG posted this 24 February 2009

Pat,

The 30 Herrett long neck is a 30 Herrett with a full length 30-30 neck on it. 1 deg. incl. angle throat and a 30 deg. shoulder. I'm down in the desert in Tucson AZ for the winter but I'm guessing it's 1.5” OAL which is just the right case capacity for a 30 cal. bullet. Back in the old days, Fred Retzloff and Dave Sherwin used to shoot it in bolt guns by turning the rims down to fit a .473” bolt face.

Jay Stanton from PA used to shoot one very similar to it with good success too. He called it something else but was based on a 30-30 case.

As far as cast bullet articles goes, I could write one on how I can't get my 1895 SS Marlin 45-70 lever shoulder buster to shoot lead anymore.

My latest R&D has been in designing and testing muzzle brakes for prairie dog guns.

Tom

Attached Files

Either one of those things work for me. Just throw in a few numbers and your $.002 worth of opinion and I'll be a happy man.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 24 February 2009

Pat

In exchange for all the fine advice we have given you, we expect a full report on this project.

Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 February 2009

I do want to thank you guys for the help but especially Larry for mentioning that the sleeve runs .430. I called PTG and told them to include one that would fit a 30-30 chamber. I'll try it out first in a Marlin I have just to see how straight it cuts and if it's not up to snuff I'll bore out a case like you guys suggested.

Attached Files

Largom posted this 25 February 2009

Pat,

When I ordered my uni-throater I did specify that it was for a 308 Win. Cart. Now you have me thinking about asking Dave to make me a sleve for my 30-30's. Got a LBT mold at .310 dia. that will not fit a no throat 30-30.

Just what I need, another project.

Larry

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 February 2009

I think a .430 sleeve is the standard size and naturally will work on about everything except what I want to do with it. If you want to hold off for a bit I'll get the sleeve and if it turns out right I'll send it to you to use.

You could also make either a press mount or a H&I type taper die with the reamer you have. I was running some .310 LBT SPs through my Browning with a bit of a 1 1/2 degree taper up front and 9 grs of Blue Dot and they shot pretty good with the standard throat. You don't need anything hard for this and I used 7/8-16 threaded rod for the press dies which I'm sure is 1018.

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 April 2009

Received my Uni-Throater back today after being sent back because they mistakenly cut a 3 degree incl. angle on it instead of the 1 1/2 I specified (thanks Larry) and am posting some pictures so people know what's being talked about. I ordered a .395 sleeve to go along with the standard one so I could use it in the 30/30. Everything comes in the package including a .300 pilot. The little brass rings on the reamer is both for setting depth of cut and a lock. .005 increments if I remember correctly.

I set it to cut .040 after turning the reamer in backwards to find the starting point and it did a pretty good job for just a see what happens cut. Overall a real nice and handy tool to have. Hell you could cut a throat in a barrel at the range with this thing.

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 April 2009

The reamer itself.

Attached Files

chboats posted this 13 April 2009

Pat

I bought a Uni Throater reamer from PTG. It works great but a word of caution. I found it very difficult to determin when the reamer was making contact by turning it backward as the instructions tell you to do. I put plain base bullet in the chamber, that was large enough to stop at the end of the chamber neck, base first. Then using a brass rod with a collar determined the end of the chamber from the muzzle end. Allowing for the pilot on the reamer and the rod determined the start point for the throat. After using the feel methode and comparing it the the muzzle measurement I found I would have cut the throat .080 deeper than I wanted if I would just used the feel methode.

I also ordered my reamer for a 308 but when I tried to throat a 30-30 I found the sleeve would not enter the chamber. I called Dave and he is sending me another sleeve with a .400 OD for use in the 30-30. Great people to work with.

Carl

Attached Files

Close