Mommy! Mommy! Ed Harris made me do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 27 April 2009
RicinYakima posted this 11 April 2009

Of all the pocket pistols, the Remington 51 “speaks” to me. I've owned and shot a lot of this type of pistol, but this is the one I keep coming back too.

So, last year I sold my almost like new 380 ACP Remington, for a fair price, and I have been looking for a 32 ACP (curse you / love you Ed Harris) but not having much luck. Then at this year's local gun show, a guy has this 32 ACP, only the second one I have ever seen. I paid a terrible price, just don't ask me. They made about six 380's for every 32 manufactured. I shot it for the first time today.

Western 74 grain ammo from before WWII, I never throw anything way, averaged 954 f/s. Western 71 grain ammo from before 1955 averaged 845 f/s. New R-P 71 grain just made 735 f/s.  

I loaded the Lyman 313226 cast from WW's (94 grains) sized them 0.311” and while in the sizer flattened the noses so that seated to the front of the crimp groove, they would fit in the magazine. Powder was 2.1 grains of new WW 231 with Federal SP primers. The first four were averaging about 835 f/s when I shot the Chrony. Did I tell you that I flinch some times offhand?

Anyway, the locked breech Remington seems to like that load. The Western cases were about 10' to the right and 3' behind me. I never found a one of the new R-P cases. The cast bullets were in a neat pile 3' feet to the right and 3' behind me. Next week we will work on accuracy, but they seem to be keeping in about 3” at 25 yards.

Ric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 12 April 2009

Hey Ric- Are you whinning or bragging? Either way darn nice piece!

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 April 2009

Ric:

You sure that Rem ammo was .32? Maybe the reason you couldn't find them was  that they went right down the tube with the bullet. Why don't you send it to me so I can work on finding out for ya.

Pretty sure I have a place to keep it and can find the time.  :fire :^:

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 April 2009

Jeff, I think it is called confession. I just couldn't help myself, which shows you how weak willed I am.

R., The 51 has a “floating” breech block that locks after first part of slide travel, then unlocks as the slide goes farther to the rear. Now that I think about it, the only place I didn't look is forward of where I was standing. Next time I am at the range, I will look there.

The pistol should stay here until I can make it work right, as it would be a shame if you had it and it broke.

Ric

Attached Files

I know how that can be.. I have had my weak willed moments a time or two..

R, if you do get it and its broke, give me a shot at it, I can fix it right up!

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 April 2009

Hey Jeff:

I don't think that I'm going to get Ric's pistol. Tried to be as diplomatic as I could but took his reply as a “NO".-----------  Was it something that I said???? :shock::(

R.

Attached Files

Ya know, some guys just dont want to share their toys I guess.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 April 2009

Hey Guys! You are both welcome to come to central Washington State and help me shoot it! I will be back from the National Military rifle matches at Hawkeye Range, Iowa, about the last week of June. Or you can meet me there! Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 April 2009

Update:

Shot the 32 ACP again today and have a strange thing happening, so I need some help here.

71 grain Western factory loads (845 f/s) were grouping in 4 inches at 25 yards two handed benched. POI and POA were fine vertically, but 2 inches left, same as I always shoot fixed sights.

94 grain cast with 2.1 grains of WW231 (835 f/s) were 4 inches low and more to the right. With 1.9 grains of SR7625 group was a full 12 inches low and centered. I always thought heavier and slower loads shot higher, not lower?

Any thought on this?

Groups at 50 feet were less 2” (very happy with that!) but the same relationship low. Should have grouped them before I shot the Chrony, I guess.

Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 April 2009

RicinYakima wrote: Update: Shot the 32 ACP again today and have a strange thing happening, so I need some help here. 71 grain Western factory loads (845 f/s) were grouping in 4 inches at 25 yards two handed benched. POI and POA were fine vertically, but 2 inches left, same as I always shoot fixed sights.

94 grain cast with 2.1 grains of WW231 (835 f/s) were 4 inches low and more to the right. With 1.9 grains of SR7625 group was a full 12 inches low and centered. I always thought heavier and slower loads shot higher, not lower? Any thought on this? Lower velocities and heavier bullets shoot higher in revolvers, and some rifles with two-piece stocks, such as the SMLE, because the gun rotates in a pendulum arc in recoil when fired, so a longer barrel time results in greater angle of elevation and higher projectile angle of departure. With auto pistols recoil tends to be more straight back, so their reaction is different and lower velocities or heavier bullets shoot lower, but as they do in most bolt action rifles.   My Walther PP acts much like your Remington 51.  Yes I'm envious 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 23 April 2009

For many years my love has been the 32 S&W Long chambered in revolvers. Previous to that I was an Elmer Keith adherent. The only revolvers worthy of recognition were 44 or 45 caliber. Then Jeff Cooper appeared on the scene and the 1911 became the King of the auto pistols. I owned them all and shot the 1911 in competition, poorly it may be said. Thru all this blarney and ballyhoo appeared a shining light. Major George Nonte wrote several articles about the 32 S&W Long. These incited my interest and Ken Waters handloading article cemented it. But alas, this didn't occur until the late seventies. During the late fifties and early sixties thousands of 32 and 380 autos were sold by surplus arms dealers for the grand sum of $29.95. That may have been a fine buy for some civilians but my military pay in 1958 was $32 dollars a payday, twice a month. Oh yes! Slave wages for someone that had to submit to military discipline and was expected to sacrifice his life for his country. During 1958,59 and early 6o's semiauto pistols were the last thing on my mind. Wine, women and song predominated, in that order. Commonly known in the Navy as “Booze and Poontang". In 1960 I reenlisted and was transferred to the boondocks. Then came Viet Nam! I spent most of the sixties and seventies overseas. When I returned in 1977 the days of the big surplus arms dealers such as “Ye Olde Hunter” were long gone as well as the good buys on pocket pistols. The little pocket pistols are now bringing ten times what they did during those halycon times. I have only owned five 32 auto that I can remember. The first was an old model Sauer that had been brought back from Germany in 1945. In 1948 the owners wife commited suicide with it and it was given to my uncle. This gun was stolen when I was overseas. In the early sixties I aquired a Spanish made clone of a 1910 Browning. It had feed problems so quickly went down the road. In 1968 I obtained a Colt 1903, officers model that was found secreted in a old officers housing unit when we reopened Itazuke AFB. I really regret losing that one but it looked as if I wouldn't be able to get that one back to the states so it went into the ocean. In the late seventies I picked up a MAB, Model D I believe and shortly thereafter traded it to a hunting partner. Since it possessed a trigger pull of approximately twenty pounds I found it hard to believe that he managed to shoot himself in the arm with it! Ah well! My last 32 was a WW II issue PPK with what I assumed was a ratty looking nickel finish. After meeting a gentlema toting a 1911 that wanted to terminate me I decided that I may perhaps be outgunned and sold it to buy something co nsiderably larger. The gent that bought the gun later informed me that the crumby looking finish was not nickel at all but was an experimental finish and that he had sold the pistol to a collector for almost four times more than he had given me for it. Ah well! No matter what 007's opinion; I didn't like the gun.
There are two pocket pistols that I have really lusted for. One is the Remington. I have only seen a couple in the last fifty years. The other is the Savage. I have only seen three or four of those. Ah well! They have crappy triggers and throw the brass all over the country anyway. I guess that I will stick with my revolvers. Neil

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 27 April 2009

My experience with autos has been mixed. I was an enthusiastic IPSC shooter during the late seventies and early eighties. I took part as a “Martial Art". When the “gamers” took over, I lost interest after five years of SERIOUS competition. I kept my .1911's and still have great affection for them.

When the Walher PPK's were first built in the U.S. I ordered a new one out in .380 ACP. It shot well, but every time I shot it I got two “railroad tracks” between my thumb and forefinger dripping blood. Now, THAT is calculated to get you to flinching. Within the first 500 rounds, the extractor disappeared. It functioned perfectly, but, of course, would not extract loaded rounds without the extractor (being a straight blow back, it “blew” the empties free of the pistol with complete reliability).

I swapped the pistol off for a stainless Sig Sauer .380. It was slightly larger but had a properly engineered tang that eliminated the pain associated with shooting the Walther.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the Sig to shoot well with the bullet mould I had and lost interest. It is still in my gun safe...

Now, that I am old and a bit decrepit, I no longer “enjoy” picking up brass. I have become pretty much a revolver man (like 10,000 rounds per year). However, I still am a “bunny gun” fan and have several revolvers for the .32 S&W L and .32 H&R Magnum.

Dale53

Attached Files

Close