32-20

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 30 April 2009
buffhunter posted this 21 April 2009

I am sure its here but I couldnt find it----- a light plinking/bunny/postal match? load for a 32-20 police positive that hasnt arrived yet but is on its way. Have red dot, unique, bullseye and 2400 powder on hand. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 21 April 2009

Under handguns: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=1944&forumid=4

Attached Files

Thanks Bill---- it is getting hard to obtain powders here other than shotgun---- being bought up I guess. Thought maybe red-dot would be a good powder. Any thoughts out there ? Thanks            Buffhunter

Attached Files

KenK posted this 21 April 2009

What bullet are you going to use?  I don't think my 32-20 rifle load will do you much good but the Speer and Lyman manuals have some data... 

Attached Files

I have some magnus 100 gr cast   Buffhunter

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 April 2009

Buffhunter,

The 32/20 is my all time favorite pistol cartridge. My notes over the last 10 years say that 3.0 grains of old Bullseye (maybe 3.1/3.2 grains of the new stuff) is the hands down small group maker for the pistol regardless of the bullet. The only question is POI compared to to POA.

Ric

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 22 April 2009

i am using 3.5 of 700-x and a 98 gr rcbs cast boolit. i keep thinking there will be some recoil but there ain't, and it is flat accurate.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 April 2009

Just checked my email, Natchezz Shooter Supply is having a sale on powder. 4 lbs. of Red Dot for about $55, others available.

Attached Files

buffhunter posted this 22 April 2009

Thanks for the input--- Red dot is one of the few powders still on most of the shelves in this part of the world, that was my thinking on developing a plinking load. 7-8oo ft  and a soft bullet would thump a rabbit, grouse ?, and certainly those 11# jackrabbit targets that my old police positive, aka outdoorsman trailgun might find . Cheap and pleasant to shoot are the requirements. Saw in one old manual 2.3 to 3.5 gr Red dot with 90 to 115 gr cast bullets but was concerned about todays powder versus the old stuff and how finicky Red dot would be in small doses

Buff

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 April 2009

Your Old Police Positive should be happy with 3 grs. of RDot with the heavier 100-115-gr. bullets and up to 3.5 with the lighter 90-98 grain ones. In my experience RDot needs about 10% reduction in charge weight compared to current Alliant Bullseye. Given the particle size, it may be hard to accurately measure charges less than about 2.7 grains, and you have to consider the charge variation. I set my measure by throwing TEN charges on the scale pan and moving the decimal point. Good practice generally, but essential with the larger flake poowders.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

buffhunter posted this 22 April 2009

Thanks-- I hope to have time the next few days to try a couple different loads and see how it shoots- poa with loads etc.        Buff

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 23 April 2009

My most accurate loads have been with 2.8 grains of ZIP behind the Lyman 311008. Both of these charges also work well behind the RCBS 098 slug. The 311008 loads clock about 820 fps out of my four inch Police Positive. I haven't got to try them in a rifle as of yet. Neil

Attached Files

buffhunter posted this 30 April 2009

Zip--- ? I have been gone-- going to make up some sample loads today-- mold I have throws them 120 gr with ww alloy--- will also try 100 gr xtps and 100 gr cast--- only primers I could get my hands on were small pistol magnums

Attached Files

Close