Cornell Wad Cutter Question

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 12 May 2009
CB posted this 28 April 2009

Does anyone who has one of these things know if the slot will accept .080 thick material?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Should, the slot to run the material in is pretty big.. Just got one out and looked.. For sure it will accept .080..

Attached Files

Thanks Jeff

Attached Files

You're welcome Pat.

Attached Files

JackG posted this 28 April 2009

pat i. wrote: Does anyone who has one of these things know if the slot will accept .080 thick material?

Pat,

Got my answer.  Thanks.

Jack

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 May 2009

I received my wad cutter today and have to report this is a quality tool at a decent price. If you use P-Wads in your load this is something you can't do without and with the price of wads will pay for itself in no time flat. I don't know the production rate yet but I was able to knock out a hundred in what seemed like a couple of minutes. I imagine with a bit of practice it'll be even less. Fred Cornell did an excellent job on this little ditty.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 07 May 2009

How about a short explanation of “P checks” for those like me who are ignorant of their use?

Or a link.

Please.

Attached Files

Actually Ken that is P-Wad. P-wad is a Type 1 PVC wad used below the bullet. there are several reasons to use one. 1) helps seal the bore below the base of the bullet thus aiding in prevention of gas blowby and leading. 2) the PWad helps keep the fouling consistent in the bore. 3) When shooting competition, if you de-bullet by sticking one in the throat that you forgot to taper or bump, the case can be removed without filling the trigger full of powder because the wad will keep the powder in the case.

I use them in both of the guns I shoot competition with and mainly for the last 2 reasons.

I have also been experimenting with using them below plain base bullets and driving them at gas checked or magnum velocities as a way to save money cause them copper hub caps is getting expensive!

Attached Files

Here's a link to the NECO site that sells Poly, or P for short, -Wads. You just seat them in the case neck with your fingers or the wad seater they sell and seat your bullet on top

http://www.neconos.com/shop/index.php?cat=16&>http://www.neconos.com/shop/index.php?cat=16&

I haven't used them much but a while ago when I was shooting my 6.5 PPC they really helped and the gun wouldn't shoot without them. I've just started playing with them in my 30x47 and they do seem to help. 

Attached Files

KenK posted this 08 May 2009

Interesting, has anybody compared cork or paper to the PVC material?

According to the neco website their material has a “up side” and a “down side"???

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 May 2009

NECO puts a little piece of somethingorother on one side of the wad, red goes up black goes down. I think it might be because there's a little taper to the wad or maybe to protect it a bit but don't know for sure. I can't see where it'd make a difference to be honest.

I've never tried cork or paper but both sound like they'd be more of a PIA than the soft vinyl since in most instances the wad isn't sitting against anything and the P-Wad type wad sticks to the inside of the case neck.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 11 May 2009

Merrill Martin, a writer for Precision Shooting magazine, wrote extensively on the use of wads. In his case they were 0.060” polyethylene. Merrill's theory was that the wad sealed the base of the bullet to prevent the combustion gases from escaping around the bullet base AND the wad allows the use of softer cast bullets so that the lube grooves would collapse easier (less resistance to chamber pressure) and extrude the lube into and down the bore. As the cutter passes through the wad material the resultant wad has a larger diameter on one side than the other. This “feather edge” (larger diameter side of the wad) should be placed towards the powder when assembling the load. Merrill suggested drawing lines on one side of the sheet of poly and then when assembling the wad you can more easily identify the fatter side to be placed against the powder.

If I was successful in attaching a pdf here there is more contained in that article that might interest you.

Tom

Attached Files

JackG posted this 11 May 2009

Jeff Bowles wrote: I have also been experimenting with using them below plain base bullets and driving them at gas checked or magnum velocities as a way to save money cause them copper hub caps is getting expensive! Jeff,

How has the PB/Wad combo worked out for you?  Fast as GC?  I'm very interested in your reply.

Jack

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 May 2009

If I can ever get time to finish up the load development I will let you know. I have a 357 mag NEF sigle shot I am playing with it in. So far I am up to 1300 fps with 8 bhn alloy with no leading.

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 11 May 2009

Seems like I remember a comment on a recent thread (or maybe I just read it recently) by Ed Harris about the danger of ringing a chamber by using wads or fiber fillers.  Is this a danger when using these PVC wads?

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 May 2009

I have heard the same thing, but I think it was when using a poly filler like dacron or something similar.

Personally, I have not had that experience and I have been using the P-Wads for quite some time.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 12 May 2009

I can recall Merrill Martin (see above post) cautioning against using them in bottleneck cases because if they slipped down past the shoulder and fell into the larger portion of the case, then trouble could begin to raise its ugly head, producing “ringed” chambers. Merrill used to suggest that the use of wads should be restricted to straight wall cases only.

FWIW

Attached Files

JackG posted this 12 May 2009

Balhincher wrote: Seems like I remember a comment on a recent thread (or maybe I just read it recently) by Ed Harris about the danger of ringing a chamber by using wads or fiber fillers.  Is this a danger when using these PVC wads?

I've read a number articles over the years on the subject and one thing that makes sense to me is that ringing of a chamber becomes more prevalent when a partially filled case (straight or bottleneck) has a wad, Dacron or solid, directly on top of the powder to hold a powder column up against the primer.  If the powder is fast burning enough and the bullet big enough the wad will be accelerated and slammed against the bottom of the bullet with enough instantaneous force generated (remember the bullet is sitting still) causing the chamber to bulge from an instantaneous and substantial over-pressuization.  Think of it as a projectile being fired into the base of another projectile which hasn't moved yet.  This causes a slight but problematic out pouching of the barrell at the chamber neck.  You know you have a situation because you have extraction problems from that point on because the case neck always expands into the ring recess that was formed from the ringing.  I don't think ringing occurs in most cases but when it does you now have an explaination when you go get your barrel rechambered or replaced and your education level jumps a quantum leap.

The other use for a plastic wad is different from the situation above in that the wad is held firm against the bullet base.  There is no mass to accelerate from the middle of the case (other than the powder) to slam against the base of the bullet.  Theory has it that the wad snugged against the base of the bullet helps to seal the base by extrusion of the plastic when pressurized.

Attached Files

Close