bullet size - WW vs pure lead

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 07 June 2009
Jim D posted this 08 May 2009

I have been shooting a muzzle loader with store bought pure lead round balls of .445 diameter with good success. If I use a .445 mould with wheel weights, will the ball become that much larger then the pure lead giving me different results?    

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 08 May 2009

According to the books: 0.0016” larger. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Jim D posted this 09 May 2009

Thanks Ric. 0.0016” shouldn't make a difference in a patched round ball.

Jim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 May 2009

Jim D.

I'm just finishing up a 54 caliber flintlock project. I'm been wondering the same thing, not the size, but if the patch will grip the ball or not.

You can PM or respond if you get results.

Thanks, Ric

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 10 May 2009

The patch will grip the ball properly if you are getting the correct size ball for the bore along with the proper patch. The differences in using WW in a ML are: 1. the ball may not flatten on impact at ML velocities the way a pure lead ball will. 2. there is potential for extensive ricochet 3. removal of the ball with a screw or worm in the event of the ball being placed in the bore without powder, or in the time of need to remove the load without discharge will be VERY DIFFICULT.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 10 May 2009

Just something to think about for muzzle loaders.

When I run into undersized round balls, I use 2 patches (commercial cotton). The compression of 2 lubed patches will make up the difference in the muzzle. I also measure thickness of patch with a micrometer. Commercial cotton patch material is around .010. Mattress patch material depending on if it is used or new cloth. is .015 to.020.

Sometimes barrel fouling will help with accuracy of undersized balls because the muzzle diameter is smaller after a few shots.

Good Luck Bob D

Attached Files

Jim D posted this 13 May 2009

Well with what I have read here by Offhand35 and in the CBA book page 75, I will give WW a try with a patched round ball. While picking up some caps and patches I mentioned my intent to try WW to a muzzleloader guru. He said it will never work. I asked if he had ever tried it. No he didn't. To which I replied “ then how do you know it won't work”? The guy turned red and yelled on and on about how he had been shooting for 50 years and bla bla bla. Without ever meeting me before, he made some remark about my inability to shoot. I should have challenged him to a match right then. Not with WW of course. He pointed to four targets shot offhand that were very good. I guess if you shoot for fifty years your bound to get four impressive offhand targets. I have shot a few targets that were so good I would not have believed it was humanly possible until I did it, and it didn't take me fifty years. But it might be fifty years before I shoot that well again.

Another guy piped in and said the patch can't grab the WW ball, so accuracy will be poor. I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Jim

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 13 May 2009

CONVENTIONAL WISDOM IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. TRY IT IF IT WORKS YOU HAVE LEARNED SOME THING USFUL. tHINK ABOUT THE PATCHES WHY WOULD THEY NOT HOLD,THEY ARE COMPRESSED IN TO THE RIFLING,IT MAY TAKE A LITTLE HARDER PUSH TO DRIVE THE BALL DOWN THATS ALL.THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS AS I HAVE TWO MUZZEL LOADERS BUT DONT SHOOT THEM.but I do all kinds of crazy reloading for every thing from swiss 41 on to newer guns.old tales carry on for centrys by word of mouth.I bet you it works for you.

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 14 May 2009

Jim D, Isn't it something that you actually found somebody who knows everything! I am glad I have not met him! I have been casting for and shooting ML's for about 14yrs. as well as handloading shotshells and metallic.....I still find questions to ask, and situations to ponder......I am so very glad that I was treated with consideration whenever I asked a basic question!!! How would anyone figure something out? Let us know how your WW round balls shoot for you. I suspect they will hit the target just fine. You just need to be aware of the possible drawbacks.....Note I said “possible” drawbacks, YOU may find that you have no trouble with them at all!

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 14 May 2009

wow how did we ever make the transition in metallic cartridges from pure to 40-1 then to 20-1 and on to ww type materials that have changed 5-6 times throughout the years. you could also add some plain ole lead to your ww's.

Attached Files

Jim D posted this 05 June 2009

I finally got some casting done. I took a guess on bullet diameter, charge and patch for my test load. I'm sure every bullet tested could give much better groups with a little work. I did not shoot a large number of groups so I wouldn't put to much faith in the results. Group sizes for: Store bought swaged sprueless bullet, 2 ½ “ . My bullets cast with pure lead, 3½ “ . My bullets cast with WW, 7 “ . I'm going to compete in a match with the store bought swaged sprueless bullets.

Jim

Attached Files

Grant posted this 05 June 2009

Hmmmm. How do you suppose wheelweight alloy would do in a .44 cal. Pieta 1858 Remington?

Attached Files

1Shirt posted this 07 June 2009

I used to compete with front stuffers for a number of years. Shot against one fellow who used only wheelweights for roundball, and took home his share of prizes for first place.
1Shirt!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 June 2009

I wonder if using WW for patched round balls in a muzzleloader might affect pressure? Or at the next step, using WW to make conicals for a muzzleloader? I'm not the scientific guy here, there's others here that know much more on the subject, but I was thinking how easy it is to get pure lead.

Attached Files

Close