Powder Shortage

• 5K Views
  • Last Post 15 March 2017
LWesthoff posted this 05 June 2009

The FedEx guy just delivered the 8 lbs. of Varget I've had on backorder from Cabela's for over two months!

Could this be a sign that the shortage is about over?

Let's all get together and hope REAL HARD!!!

(While we're at it, let's hope the price of primers comes back down and those guys that bought a bunch of them “on spec” get stuck with a bunch of them they have to sell at a loss.....O.K.?)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 05 June 2009

I think you're right, the supplies are increasing, demand is easing up, just based on what I've seen. It would be GREAT to see those parasites that have helped drive the costs up have to eat their investments.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 05 June 2009

I have had an 8 lb Varget on order for 4 months. The one you received today was supposed to go to my house. Ill send a UPS pickup call tag for you on Monday. Please redirect my powder. LOL..... The above is true.

I didn't think there was a powder shortage, just a distribution issue. Alliant got hit hard as they have the market on multiuse powder. I have ordered H4895, 2400, Green Dot, H4227, Reloader 19, in 6 lb quantities from Cabelas over the last 5 months (one order a month essentially) and have all delivered from in stock, no waiting. Varget...NOT SO MUCH. By the way, a Cabelas Card with a high limit used for NET 30 business expenses (self employed contractor) is a GREAT tool for getting components!! $200 points per month, YEAH BUDDY!!

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 06 June 2009

I think the ramped up production is finally showing up on the shelves. My local gunshop had 8# Unique, a fairly good selection of other powders in 1#, and, finally, 20K CCI LR, 5K Federal LR primers, and a brand Giorgio will be familiar with, Cheddite shotgun primers. Still no LP primers.

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 18 June 2009

PEOPLE WERE BUYING MORE THAN THE COMPANIES COULD PRODUCE,and still supply the ammo companies.same with primers.

win was making 1,600,000 rds of 45acp a day and orders for 200,000,000.and I know Lee was producing 150 presses of one model a day and had 2000 orders.every place I know of all over the country has almost no ammo.plenty of shotgun but no rifle or pistol..>    :fire

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 July 2009

Shooters

My feeling is the powder shortage only existed for certain powders. I buy most of my powder from Bruno. I was able to get 2 Jugs of H322 a year and a half ago and an 8# jug of Unique a couple months ago. Give him a call he might have what you need.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 July 2009

Lester is a great guy! He lives, eats and breathes shooting, certainly my kind of guy. His shop isnt huge, but he usually has what you need. I usually run into him out at Ben Avery when I visit Phoenix, on the BR range of course.. There is a restuarant across from his shop in the DV airport terminal that has a great chili size!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 06 July 2009

I haven't had too much trouble getting powder.  I finally went ahead and put some primers on back order at Cabelas a couple of months ago.  I guess I'll get them sooner or later.

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 July 2009

I still can only find certain powders at the stores, but some stores have lots of ammo on hand now.

The Cabela near me, gets in a large shipment of powder and it's gone in a couple of days.

Jerry

Attached Files

Dicko posted this 09 November 2009

1.60 million rounds of 45 ACP and 150 presses a day.   Amazing numbers.   I know that in South Africa we can't get some US made components easily, like CCI primers.  We put it down to the known high rate of buying in the US.   I know we are not supposed to talk politics but would it be fair to suggest that Barack Obama has been the best arms salesman ever ?

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 November 2009

Can't talk politics?! Barack Hussein Obama and the people who tell him what to do and say are the best thing that ever happened to the US gun and ammo industries. Makes me wonder. As they say, follow the money.

Attached Files

testhop posted this 27 December 2009

in some gun shops obama has been named gun salesmanof the mo and some places sales of the year.

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 January 2010

I think the NRA named Obama Gun Salesman of the year. I went to the W.V. Cabela New Years day and they had more primers on the shelves than they received over the last 5 months, They actually had some useful powders in stock.

The big problem is prices are not going down. We are becoming another high dollar profit market.

AS that I am doing shotgun reloading at the moment, I was hoping shot stay the same price, I was wrong.

Jerry

Attached Files

technojock posted this 15 March 2017

Obummer is long gone and I still haven't seen any #2400 rifle powder in over 2 years.  I can get just about any other powder I could want...

Tony

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 15 March 2017

Tony: Mid-South has 2400 8lb jugs in stock.  Gp

Attached Files

Close