RCBS Cowboy Reloading Dies for 3030

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 29 March 2010
green onions posted this 07 June 2009

Anyone have the RCBS Cowboy reloading dies?  I want to purchase a set for my 3030 to reload cast bullets.  I would like to hear Pros and Cons.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 07 June 2009

I bought a set when they first came out in 25/20. They were minimum spec's for jacketed bullets. So they went back to RCBS with 3 fired cases and 3 bullets I wanted to reload. They opened up the sizer die to stop excessive sizing, made a new neck expander for .258” bullets and bullet seater for round nosed bullets. There was no cost to me except postage. They have been excellent dies with no problems since.

They had quite a few complaints when they started making them, and may have better spec's now.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

GREYGHOST posted this 11 June 2009

I have a set of Cowboy Dies in 30-30, and have used them only for jacketed bullets so far. They have been fine and I plan to load some cast in the near future. If you are in no hurry, I will get back with you as soon as I load some up.

Regards,

Joe

Attached Files

green onions posted this 12 June 2009

Joe,

I am going to use cast bullets for the 3030.  Some people use the lee crimp die, but I was looking at the Cowboy dies.  I hope they are what I am looking for.

Like to hear from you.

Thanks 

Attached Files

GREYGHOST posted this 12 June 2009

I will try to load some up over the weekend to cycle through my Marlin 336 in 30-30. I sent it back to Marlin a few years back and had the cowboy octagon barrel put on it. I'll give you a shout back soon.

Regards, Joe

Attached Files

green onions posted this 12 June 2009

GREYGHOST wrote: I will try to load some up over the weekend to cycle through my Marlin 336 in 30-30. I sent it back to Marlin a few years back and had the cowboy octagon barrel put on it. I'll give you a shout back soon.

Regards, Joe

Post some pictures of that BAD Boy.  What did cost to do that.

Bert

Attached Files

GREYGHOST posted this 12 June 2009

WOW! It's been more than a few years, ticket from Marlin shows 8 years ago. Anyway, it was $270.00 total. They replaced the forend, metal forend cap, barrel, and the metal magazine follower with an orange plastic one. Wasn't two pleased about losing my metal follower, but oh well. Marlin would at that time, also convert it to 38-55,which sometimes I wish I had done. But, since my heart has always been for singleshot rifles anyway, I decided to stick with the 30-30. I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance. Got to go back to the range to test some cast bullet loads for my 45-70.

Regards, Joe

Attached Files

GREYGHOST posted this 13 June 2009

GREYGHOST WROTE:

I got rained out of going to the range today, so I loaded up some cast 30-30. They cycled through my Marlin fine, as long as I didn't try to see how fast I could cycle them. I believe it is due to the large flat nose of the cast bullet and not the dies. It would hesitate chambering until the loading gate got repositioned. Again this was attempting fast recycling and when doing it a little slower and more deliberatley, there was no problem at all. As far as accuracy, I don't know, as I haven't shot them in this rifle yet. I personally would not hesitate to purchase the cowboy dies again. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe

Post some pictures of that BAD Boy.  What did cost to do that.

Bert

Still haven't had time to do the pics yet, but will try soon.   

Attached Files

green onions posted this 14 June 2009

I been waiting for those stores to restock their reloading supplies.  I got a lead on cowboy dies in 30-30.  I will find out Monday..>

I plan on reloading the 30-30 using Lyman 311041 173 grain Flat Nose, the RCBS 82019 150 grain Flat Nose and the RCBS 82009 115 grain Round Nose bullet all with Gas Checks.  The dia. is .310 for Marlin lever action.:cba:

The velocities will be under 2000 fps using Trail Boss, SR4795 and H4895.  So far I am rounding up my supplies.  SR4795 is hard to get of hold of.  I do have Trail Boss and H4895 in several pounds.  Other powders I do not have.

I hope to get to reloading by the end of June and have some fun shooting those loads.:fire

Attached Files

GREYGHOST posted this 14 June 2009

Sounds like you've got it going! Let us know how the dies work and the gun shoots!

Joe

Attached Files

excess650 posted this 25 July 2009

I have a set of the Cowboy dies in 38-55 and they work fine.

My own 336CB in 30-30 slugs out at .310” groove diameter.  I was expecting closer to .308", but since it was purchased specifically for shooting cast, it will be fine.

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 25 July 2009

green onions wrote: Anyone have the RCBS Cowboy reloading dies?  I want to purchase a set for my 3030 to reload cast bullets.  I would like to hear Pros and Cons. I have RCBS cowboy dies in .357, 44 spec/mag, .45 Colt & 45-70. All pro's as far as I'm concerned, the selling point being there designed especially fo cast. 30-30? I went with Hornady, because at the time I didn't have or should I say want to spend the xtra $$. 

I purchaced a '94 trails end last Dec. and have been shooting cast exclusivley. Barrel having been lapped, as per L.B.T. method and a A.O. ghost ring sight installed utilizing the factory front. Bullet is a L.B.T. 170gr LCFN w/gc sized .309 air cooled W.W. Powders initialy were Varget and TAC. With Varget giving me a 1 1/4” 5 shot group at 100yds! Once and only once was I able to achieve this, with subsquent groups in the 2 1/2-3 1/2” range. More to my ability by the way. TAC has been a failure in everything I tried it in, which incl. .223 Rem(jacketed) 35 Whelen(cast) 38-55(cast) and of course the 30-30. Yesterday I went out with, again Varget, and added H-322 and a couple of boring stand by's, IMR3031 & IMR 4064. 3031 proved to be worth trying as it gave the best accuracy and velocity, 2nd only to 4064, which quite didn't give the velocity,but accuracy on par with 3031.

With Varget getting harder to find because of the supply/demand scenario, AKA hoarding everything you can get so you can look at it on your shelf and be the envy of your shooting buddies, It pays to try the things that have always worked, but just haven't used them in a while, for no other reason your trying new or different stuff.

One more point on the cowboy dies. While I use the roll ceimp on all the revolver cartridges I use a Lee factory crimp die on the Rifle cartrides as I don't have a crimp groove in the proper location on the 30-30 and 45-70.  Crash87

Attached Files

green onions posted this 29 July 2009

crash87 wrote: green onions wrote: Anyone have the RCBS Cowboy reloading dies?  I want to purchase a set for my 3030 to reload cast bullets.  I would like to hear Pros and Cons. I have RCBS cowboy dies in .357, 44 spec/mag, .45 Colt & 45-70. All pro's as far as I'm concerned, the selling point being there designed especially fo cast. 30-30? I went with Hornady, because at the time I didn't have or should I say want to spend the xtra $$. 

I purchaced a '94 trails end last Dec. and have been shooting cast exclusivley. Barrel having been lapped, as per L.B.T. method and a A.O. ghost ring sight installed utilizing the factory front. Bullet is a L.B.T. 170gr LCFN w/gc sized .309 air cooled W.W. Powders initialy were Varget and TAC. With Varget giving me a 1 1/4” 5 shot group at 100yds! Once and only once was I able to achieve this, with subsquent groups in the 2 1/2-3 1/2” range. More to my ability by the way. TAC has been a failure in everything I tried it in, which incl. .223 Rem(jacketed) 35 Whelen(cast) 38-55(cast) and of course the 30-30. Yesterday I went out with, again Varget, and added H-322 and a couple of boring stand by's, IMR3031 & IMR 4064. 3031 proved to be worth trying as it gave the best accuracy and velocity, 2nd only to 4064, which quite didn't give the velocity,but accuracy on par with 3031.

With Varget getting harder to find because of the supply/demand scenario, AKA hoarding everything you can get so you can look at it on your shelf and be the envy of your shooting buddies, It pays to try the things that have always worked, but just haven't used them in a while, for no other reason your trying new or different stuff.

One more point on the cowboy dies. While I use the roll ceimp on all the revolver cartridges I use a Lee factory crimp die on the Rifle cartrides as I don't have a crimp groove in the proper location on the 30-30 and 45-70.  Crash87  

Crash87,

I had my dies on order since June.  I am still waiting.  .>  I ordered the Lyman M die and should come in this week.

I don't have any Varget so I will try IMR3031 since it gave you good accuracy.  I don't have any Large Primers so I will be force to use Magnum primers.  I wish these stores would stock up on primers and not be on short supply.

What kind of velocities did you get?  Don't no if you have a chrongraph.

Thanks for the tip on the powder and all posted feedbacks.

I will keep you all posted.:coffee

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 01 August 2009

green onions wrote: crash87 wrote: green onions wrote: Anyone have the RCBS Cowboy reloading dies?  I want to purchase a set for my 3030 to reload cast bullets.  I would like to hear Pros and Cons.

Crash87,

I had my dies on order since June.  I am still waiting.  .>  I ordered the Lyman M die and should come in this week.

I don't have any Varget so I will try IMR3031 since it gave you good accuracy.  I don't have any Large Primers so I will be force to use Magnum primers.  I wish these stores would stock up on primers and not be on short supply.

What kind of velocities did you get?  Don't no if you have a chrongraph.

Thanks for the tip on the powder and all posted feedbacks.

I will keep you all posted.:coffee

.  Yes I do chronogragh all loads as I work up. Remember I'm using air cooled WW, I have found that when getting near 2000fps accuracy starts to go south real quick. If I was to waterquench or heat treat I could go higher, but that is not my goal. I use the Lyman M die on my 35 cal. I like it a lot. As far as the mag primers, only experimentation will tell, I have not used them in my 30-30, but have found them to work O.K. in other rounds.You have to go with what you got. I see a lot of posters chastizing those who are trying things “they” feel they shouldn't, of course they've got a shelf and a closet backup full of components. Work up with those primers and see what happens. You never know, just might come upon the perfect combo.for comparison.   Varget 27.0 gr / velocity 1802 exsp. 084 s.d. 031                         IMR3031 26.0 gr / velocity 1836 / exsp. 048 / sd. 019                         IMR4064 27.0 gr / velocity 1796 / exsp. 046 / sd. 018                          H-322    23.0 gr /  velocity 1761 / exsp. 073 / sd.031 Again 24 ” barrel / LBT 170 gr LCFN gc Air cooled WW alloy. As you can see H-322 mimicked Varget and 3031 and 4064 were for all practical pupose equal, but just a slight edge in accuracy to 3031. 1800 fps seems to be the accuracy number for this alloy, but more impotantly all these loads in my rifle would have what it takes to kill a Deer clean out to anything I have or will  encounter, here in the Wisc. northwoods.               

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 01 August 2009

I'd like to add one more thing for 30/30 cast shooters. There is an excellent article in “Handloader” issue #233 on shooting cast in the 30/30. It is a very good, informative, and in depth article. It is, in my opinion, worth checking into. Crash87

Attached Files

excess650 posted this 01 August 2009

" Yes I do chronogragh all loads as I work up. Remember I'm using air cooled WW, I have found that when getting near 2000fps accuracy starts to go south real quick. If I was to waterquench or heat treat I could go higher, but that is not my goal. I use the Lyman M die on my 35 cal. I like it a lot. “

I have quenched my bullets for years as SOP.  I have a towel in the bottom of the bucket, and another “floating” on top.  As the sprue cools, I cut it into a box and then turn to my right and open the mould over the bucket.  The bullets cool quickly and either drop to the bottom or accumulate on the towel until I lift it to make room for more.  I don't like to drop bullets onto bullets and potentially cause damage to them.

In an effort to keep the bullets malleable rather than brittle, I add soft lead and tin to the mix.  My recollection was equal parts WW, soft lead, and then 2% tin.  The resultant bullets cast nicely, and end up about 15bhn.

I've not run these across the chrono, but my 357Mag carbine loads are 1800fps+ according to a writer using the same load that I use, and can shoot as long as I want with excellent accuracy and no leading in (3) different rifles.  The best 30-30 load for a 20” barreled Savage 99 carbine uses the Lee 160gr FNGC that should chrono right at 2000fps per the manual.

Water-dropping allows you to have your cake and eat it too.  You get the benefit of the added hardness for extra velocity, yet be malleable enough for expansion.  Quenched bullets also reach peak hardness in a much shorter time than air cooled bullets. 

I consider a Lyman M die or similar custom to be a necessity for loading cast.  Buffalo Arms made whatever I asked for in the way of expanders, compression plugs, and now offer custom sizer dies for Lyman/RCBS or Saeco sizers.

Attached Files

green onions posted this 29 March 2010

Hello all,

Just a follow up on my cowboy dies for 30-30.  I shot 50 rounds of different weights and started to reload then again.  Those dies work great.:D

Since I am using .310 lead cast, now I need a sizing die that will size them  bigger without overworking the brass.  Looks to me that I need a custom die made. Or is there a off the shelf die for this bullet?

Bert

Attached Files

Close