New At This - Need suggestions

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 30 June 2009
bullet posted this 23 June 2009

I have shot cast bullets in my pistols and muzzle loader for many years and some in a 444 Marlin and 45/70.  I would order the bullets already cast, sized and lubed.  I think now that I would really like to cast my own for the fun of it. I will have a double cavity mold with a 220gr and 250gr cavity coming in a month or so for my 358Win and later on I will have one made for my 44mag. super blackhawk.

I have always wanted to do this but never took the plunge, but now have decided to do so.

What would be the most inexpensive way to begin and end up with fairly good equipment?    If you have a reading source or suggestions I would appreciate it.  I have so much to learn.

I am reading Veral's book right now and realize I will have to read it a few more times just to let it all soak in.  Any help on where to begin with equipment and what equipment to buy would be appreciated.   :)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

I have decide to take some advice and read the archives and educate myself and that is what I will do.  Thank you  :)

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 23 June 2009

bullet A lot of people start out with Lee molds. They have a good selection of other casting supplies and their prices are hard to beat. After you read Veral's book you might get the Lee Reloading Manual, or the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. One of the things you'll have to decide is whether to use a bottom pour pot or a dipper pot, both work.

Attached Files

Thanks ttuner53 for the heads up on the books.  

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 23 June 2009

The Lee and Lyman brands are usually the least expensive. If you're like most of us, you'll end up with equipment that suits your individual taste, rather than an entire kit of the same brand(or several kits of different makes, lol).

Attached Files

GL49 posted this 26 June 2009

A good place to learn about bullet casting is www.lasc.us. Plan to spend several hours, (or several days), at their site. My casting started with Lee molds because of their price, and if you take care of them, they work well. You just have to realize that the aluminum molds will damage easily. I own a 20 pound bottom pour Lee pot, and it is FAST when filling six cavity molds. Since I shoot mostly pistols and revolvers, I purchased a star sizer from magma engineering for the speed, since my sons and I shoot about 2 thousand a month. I found in the case of my star sizer, I could buy new cheaper than bidding for one on ebay. Castboolits website has a “group buy” section in their forums, you may find a bullet design there you just can't pass up and will have to order a mold. Sounds like you aren't interested in large quantities as much as quality equipment, I would go with Lee 6 cavity pistol/revolver molds if you want speed, or, Lyman molds for a little better quality. Good equipment, reasonably priced, as tturner53 said. Wheelweights make great bullets, they are relatively cheap, and White Label lube is worth a look at. That's my two cents worth.

Attached Files

bullet posted this 26 June 2009

Thank you for the response, I will be casting for some rifles of mine that will have velocities over 2000fps.  So I will be using at this point LBT molds and Blue lube.  Since I will be using the blue lube anyway for my rifles I will be using if for the heavy loads in my 44mag also.  Now as I said, this is where I find myself so far in my research.   Still deciding on equipment also.

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 June 2009

Bullet

Too bad your so far away from me. You could spend several days in the shop and then you would realize what you want to do and with what.

Jerry

Attached Files

bullet posted this 30 June 2009

miestro_jerry wrote: Bullet

Too bad your so far away from me. You could spend several days in the shop and then you would realize what you want to do and with what.

Jerry Amen on that Jerry!!!  With no one close who really does this, I am  taking my time reading as much as I can before I take any leap at all.

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 June 2009

Bullet,

The Lyman #49 Reloading Manual has a lot of good how to and why information. It is well worth the money.

Jerry

Attached Files

bullet posted this 30 June 2009

Thanks for the suggestion, I will get one and add that to my collection of books on the subject.

Attached Files

captain-03 posted this 30 June 2009

See you are from Picayune, MS!! I am from Byram. Come over and visit us at msgunowners.com .. I am sure that we have several members in your neck-of-the-woods who cast .. I do for every caliber handgun and rifle I own!! Great hobby!!

Attached Files

Close