44-40 dies

• Last Post 02 June 2017
Keith posted this 02 June 2017

For those reloading the 44-40 is there any maker of dies that works better than others for cast bullets?  If loading 0.430 diameter bullets who makes dies with an expander of appropriate size?  This will be for a Winchester 73 of current manufacture which I expect will have a 0.430 bore but I have not yet made the purchase.  I have searched 44-40 but was unable find any comments concerning die makers.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gmcswret posted this 02 June 2017

I use the 44-40 cowboy action RCBS. works in my six shooter. I have not shot it yet in my Henry

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 02 June 2017

I use RCBS Cowboy dies in 44-40 and shot RCBS 44-200-CM bullets as cast at .430" in two Uberti 73's and a Rossi 92.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 02 June 2017

How do you know what the bore will be ?

Is this rifle of Italian or Japanese manufacture? 

The only Japanese Winchester I've ever worked with had a .428 dia. Bore. That was 20yrs ago.  The 3 UBERTI rifles & 1 ROSSI that I have .427& .428 diameter bores respectively.   

That said most COWBOY ACTION SHOOTERS that I know favor the RCBS Cowboy dies in the Brown box. 

The rifles mentioned,  plus my REAL Winchester 1892 SRC will not take a .429dia bullet seated in even a Remington case.

I use a combination of an Old 1960 LYMAN die set & a RCBS pre Cowboy die set designed for lead bullets. I also have a 1970's RCBS die set for jacketed bullets &  HORNADY set of current manufacture.

Use a good spray lube( I prefer HORNADY)  & seat bullets with extra care. I seat & crimp separately. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

dromia posted this 02 June 2017

I use Lee and NDFS dies when hand loading for my Uberti Henry. I size to 0.430" and use an NOE 0.431"-0.427" expander plug in a Lee expander body. Using Starline and Winchester cases.

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 02 June 2017

Like dromia, I use the NOE expanders. My 44-40 dies are Redding and since I powder coat my bullets I can also use the Redding competition seating die.  The comp seating die isn't a necessity of course but is very handy. Gp

Attached Files

Ken T posted this 02 June 2017

I use and like the RCBS Cowboy Action dies in both .44-40 and .38-40.I load for Colt New Services in both calibers.For the .44-40 I use the Lyman 427098 mold with with 8.0 grains of Unique.Bullet sized to .428.

Attached Files

Close