44 mag accuracy with cast

• Last Post 10 October 2019
2frogs posted this 09 October 2019

using 250 grain SWC hard cast and 2400 powder  and a fastfire 3 sight..From a rest my average 10 shots were at 3 inch.At 50 yards.Might have been better with fine cross hairs..Will this be ok for deer hunting out to 75 yards? I want to get back to the range for some more shooting before the senior season opens in two weeks..Thanks...John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 09 October 2019

Depends who you ask but there is an old theory....roll a basketball out on the ground and shoot at it, rifle or revolver. When you can no longer hit the basketball you have found YOUR effective “killing” range. The basketball is the approx. size of the vitals of a deer. Do this offhand, no artificial rests or a bench. You are a hunter and owe the deer a humane kill.

FWIW

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • Bud Hyett
M3 Mitch posted this 09 October 2019

3 inches at 50 yards from the bench shows the revolver and ammo are up to the task, in spades.  As Tom mentioned, how far out can you stay on a basketball (or paper plate, they are cheaper targets than basketballs) from offhand?  Also try bracing against a column at the range hut, imitating a "tree rest" where you stabilize your forearms leaning against a tree, sometimes this can be made to work in the field.

If you want to use this as an excuse to buy a shot timer, see how fast you can hit that paper plate drawing from whatever holster you intend to hunt with.  Needless to say, keep your finger off the trigger, until your sights are on target, always, but particularly when practicing a fast draw. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 09 October 2019

I too have always recommended the 8" paper plate. When you can  keep ten shot in the plate, that is you max range for what ever weapon you are using. I didn't invent it, it was the test for Junior Archery Hunter's class.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
BigMan54 posted this 10 October 2019

We used the 6" paper plates when I was a kid. Dad would walk down the trail and clothespin them to the brush along a deer trail. Anywhere from 5 - 8. He'd come back down the trail, and one of us would start down the trail, with him following.  Shoot the plate as soon as you saw it.  He'd let us know when we walked past a target. They'd be placed 50 - 100yrds off the trail. 

Great snap shooting practice and target identification.  

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Close