HELP with .358 Dies

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 26 August 2010
Terrier posted this 08 July 2009

Tonight I attempted to neck up some .308 cases to .358 with a used set of Lee dies and on the first attempt the die died an untimely death.  I need a die set that will work for expanding .308 cases (I was given 250 Federal cases) as well as normal reloading chores.  I can get either RCBS or Lee here in time but which are better suited for my need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Terrier

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jhrosier posted this 08 July 2009

Terrier, I have formed a fair amount of .308 to .358 with no problems. I use a Lyman .358 “M” die to expand the neck before full length sizing. What was the nature of the die failure?

Jack

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 08 July 2009

i use rcbs dies. unless i am going to make some real fancy target ammo,i always opt for rcbs. they just work and their customer service/warranty is top notch. about the only lee dies i have are their carbide sizers for revolver ammo.

Attached Files

Terrier posted this 09 July 2009

jhrosier,

The expander/decapping rod slipped up on the first attempt.  Tightening it did nothing.  When I took the nut that holds the expander off I discovered that the threads were stripped.  It held for normal resizing but not expanding.  One leason learned so the whole ordeal is less of a waste plus I get a new set of dies.

Terrier

Attached Files

bruce posted this 12 July 2009

Terrier,

I have expanded them with a Lee die set. I've also done them by just loading in 10 grains of red dot, a lightweight .308 cal lead bullet and shot them down range. I can't remember the neck expander slipping. I think they aren't really right until some fire forming has taken place, anyway. Rattling the small lead bullet down the barrel is supposed to be ok. It never damaged my BLR that I am aware of. I've also tried just a big plug of soap on top of the powder, but those didn't always form out as well as with a bullet. I wonder how many other people have expanded them with a bullet? I think I got the idea from reading Paco Kelly, but that doesn't mean it is his fault if it is a dumb idea.

On the other foot, Midway USA has some real .358 Win brass for sale right now. Now again, having 250 cases ready for .358 Win could provide you the opportunity for a real sore shoulder!

Bruce

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 31 August 2009

did a couple thousand with redding die and no problem it comes with a special expander that is very graduate so you don't force the case no fireforming

Attached Files

twelvestep posted this 15 August 2010

I have had a Savage Model 99DL in .358 Win for about 50 years. Most of my cases are prior military .308s necked up to .358 in an RCBS FL size die with the decapping pin replaced with a tapered .30 to .35 expanding plug about 3/4” long. Before necking up I resize .308 cases in an RCBS small base size die. Why pay .358 brass prices when .308s are so cheap. I find that commercial .308 plated cases expand with no plating problems.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 16 August 2010

Just my .02

Take the lee expander out and chuck it up in a drill. Polish it till it shines like a new dime. Polish the expander real good, not the stem that goes through the split locking nut on top of the die body. I would also suggest a little lube on the inside of the case mouth, a little goes a long way and a qtip is good for this. I have found the Hornady dies with the tapered expander to work the best for necking up. Most all of the other die makers expander ball has little or no taper and makes life difficult for such brass work. If you don't have any m dies, you should have if you load much cast at all. As to the comments on nickle brass. The only nickle I own is some 38 and 357 and it was free. I am done with the stuff. It is hard on trimmer cutting edges. It is not a matter of if it will flake of but when. I had some issues with it several years abck. If you get a piece of that stuff ironed into a die body it will make you expand your vocabulary. The only way I got it out, was to send it back to the die maker. And, if it doesn't flake off and stick to the die, it can and will scratch them. Had the most issues when sizing up, but still had some with 06 and 270 in standard non wildcat cases. 90% or more of the reloaders have no idea what goes on inside of a die. The pressures that can occur are suprising, even more so when moving a fair bit of brass. One last thing, ease the case up into the die with slowwww steady pressure. Not like you were smashing pop cans in one of those can crushers or cracking walnuts. Size it by feel and not force and you should be alright. jeff

Attached Files

raytear posted this 16 August 2010

Another thought re: process of necking up.

It is a fairly large step going from .30 to .35 caliber. I have used an 8mm x 57 die (backed out so as not to set back the shoulder) as an intermediate step when doing some experimental stuff necking .30-06 cases up to .35 Whelen. That same idea should work for .308 cases.

The suggestion re: polishing the expander ball to mirror brightness is also an excellent one. I would also use a bronze bore brush to clean the inside of the case necks if they are smudged or smokey.

Keeping everything smooth and well lubricated, going in small steps while operating the handle slowly have been the keys to any success I've had in reforming cases.

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 22 August 2010

your best choise is redding,they also make a tapered expander 358 cal.available. from midway.I have a rcbs 35 rem set for $15.00 plus usps $4.75 if your [email protected] or [email protected] 702-346-7843

Attached Files

nobade posted this 24 August 2010

I've been having good luck necking up 308 cases to 35 with a RCBS 38 cal. neck expander die.(from a 38spl pistol set) I run the case into that first, then full length size in the RCBS 358 die and they come out nice with no split necks.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 24 August 2010

I necked up hundreds of 30-06 into 35 whelen with old Lee dies,the ones with cylindrical expander.(having lubed the interior of the cases with STP add to your oil)

Now their expander is taperd and should need less effort for the Job.

I would send them back the nut with stripped threads,to get a couple of new replacements.

The Lee client service is considered good by many people.

Attached Files

Reg posted this 25 August 2010

Back in the late 60's when the 35 Whelen was just starting to get some steam under it, RCBS found out that one need a long tapered expanding plug to gently expand those case necks and made it a regular feature on their dies. Its simple, with a lathe, to make one as I did at the time. Proper inside neck lubing is required. One also might consider neck anealing if the brass seems a bit brittle.

:cowboy:

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 August 2010

You guys are looking at this all wrong. When someone gives you 250 .308 cases you have the perfect excuse to buy another rifle! Man you guys are slow. First day?

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 26 August 2010

I've been necking up 243 cases to 308 with my Lee dies. I've not had any trouble at all. Do yours have the new expander? I also lube the necks, but I use graphite.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 26 August 2010

A good pic is worth thousands of words.

That's the right tool to enlarge the brass from 308 to 358.

But the thought of leaving the  308W brass alone and buying a new 308 rifle is not to be thrown away.................. 

Attached Files

Close