Micrometer choice

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 28 January 2014
kbuck posted this 22 July 2009

I need to get a good, solid 0-1” micrometer. I want a Starrett, but they are very expensive. Any preferences for other brands? Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
offhand35 posted this 22 July 2009

Years ago, when I was shopping for a mic, I balked at the Starret and the Mitutoyo, and finally decided on a Craftsman. It actually came as part of a set in a wooden box with a dial caliper and a 6” rule. I have NO idea what is available now at Sears, but you may want to look there.

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 22 July 2009

Years ago, when I was shopping for a mic, I balked at the Starret and the Mitutoyo, and finally decided on a Craftsman. It actually came as part of a set in a wooden box with a dial caliper and a 6” rule. I have NO idea what is available now at Sears, but you may want to look there.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 24 April 2010

Hello, Kbuck. This is one tool you only buy once, if I were you I would buy Starrett. Bought a Mituoyo once on someones suggestion, first time I tried lock, it broke off. Bought a stainless 0-1 Starrett back in 76' for apprentiship, still in use, good as ever. Spring for the .0001” they come in handy for bullet dia."s. & case-head expansion. Best of luck.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 24 April 2010

I have several top end American micrometers and a 1” Mitutoyo. The Mitutoyo is at LEAST the equal of the others. At the time I bought it, it was considerably less expensive than a set of Starrets.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

2Tite posted this 24 April 2010

Go to a pawn shop......a good Starret should be around 25-35 bucks...or check out plazamachinery on the internet. Good folks..fair prices

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 24 April 2010

+1 I bought my Starret for 30 bucks. It seems brand new.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 April 2010

I have a 1” Brown and Sharpe .

My pop had it in his office and gave it to me when he retired !

My dial calipers are Brown and Sharpe as well !

Only Starret stuff I have are a 6” scale and a set of precision line up punches .

Attached Files

400jeffery posted this 27 January 2014

Well, this being a older post, but, one that is ongoing forever in time (as long as anyone is still reloading). For most of us, or at least me, my dad told me long ago buy the best you can afford and then take good care of it. I've used a good brown & sharpe for years, when I went to work for Bendix back in the 60's as a OD drill grinder I had to have a good enough mic to do my job, was not even close to thinking about reloading ammunition back then. But having parents, and grand parents who were born and spent most of their lives living in Athol, MA and working at Starrett's beginning in the late 1930's I always had high regard for their precision measuring tools. So finally two years ago at reaching the age of 61 I got me both the 1” mmicrometer and the caliper both digital and I enjoy using them. Just get the best you can do. If later you want to upgrade, you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 January 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2956>kbuck

Don't be shy to buy a used Starrett off EBAY. The Model 436 Starrett is the model I use for serious measurement. it is accurate to .0005” and has increments of .001

This is sufficient to even measure pressure rings on fired brass to evaluate ballistic pressure.

This is the model I use, buy it now for $30 on Ebay, mine isn't in this good of shape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-436-0-1-inch-Micrometer-0001-ratchet-thimble-locknutin-starrett-box-/261384388217?hash=item3cdbb93e79

Gary

Attached Files

400jeffery posted this 27 January 2014

Right on KBUCK!!  It's what's on the inside that counts.  One can always send it back to Starrett's to have the calibration checked for a nominal fee.;)

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 27 January 2014

AHHHHH!     I have tried REPEATEDLY to contact Starrett wishing to have them calibrate and, if needed, repair my Calipers; all to no avail. They refuse acknowledge my attempts in ANY manner.    I must continue to use them (with a slightly bent depth guage) as a result. I hope this is some strange confusion because in the absence of a valid excuse I wholeheartedly and in full earnest DISLIKE this company!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 January 2014

when i wuz a job shop we used a co. that did nothing but repair y calibrate devices. google could find such. $reasonable.

in 30 years we never buggered a starret or mitutoyo micrometer. we blew up several name dial calipers, they are much more delicate. we blew up all the digital electronic calipers.

owch ... the cheap micrometers from msc etc. are pretty good; i hate that, but feel better carrying in my to-the-match bag. i bot a cheap mike in 1955, still works fine.

do advise getting a standard ( a bullet is a fun thing ) to check with before starting a big project ..be sure it measures the same each time.

dont pay any attention when your wife catches you measuring your sierra matchking over and over. somethings are just guy things.

lastly, with the horrible current economy there are some great buys in used production toys.

ken

Attached Files

400jeffery posted this 28 January 2014

Vassal,

Let me make a call to Starrett's end of this week or start of next week to find out what the deal is.  I will PM you on what I find out, and if it is a procedure that will make it easier for all on this forum, I will also post it here on the forum.  Barry

Attached Files

400jeffery posted this 28 January 2014

You may send your Starrett tools to our factory here in Athol, Mass., marked for the attention of our repair department. We kindly ask that you include your billing and shipping addresses, telephone, email address, and fax number.

Our shipping address is as follows:

L. S. Starrett Co. Attn: Repair Dept. 121 Crescent St Athol, MA 01331

Following this inspection, we will notify you of any costs.

Sincerely,

L. S. Starrett Co. Elise Tandy 121 Crescent St Athol, MA 01331 Phone: 978-249-3551 ext. 238 Reply to: Fax: 978-249-3334 or [email protected]

-----Original Message----- From: [email protected] Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:47 PM

Attached Files

Close