458 SOCOM learning cast

• Last Post 26 July 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
WoodencrossIII posted this 17 July 2020

Hello I’m a new member and new to casting and reloading in general I have a 458 SOCOM and I wanna learn as much as I can from anyone who has been there and done that with this round. Please chime in and give me maybe what the best way to go is. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Geargnasher posted this 26 July 2020

That's a little different from my pistol-length system, so I'm not sure my data will help you all that much. I had good luck with powders in the range of 2400, Longshot, and HS-6. The maximum allowable pressure of the .458 Socom is quite low and can be exceeded very easily, so proceed with caution.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
WoodencrossIII posted this 21 July 2020

Distances for shots i would say i plan to shoot anywherre from 25-200 yards

Attached Files

WoodencrossIII posted this 21 July 2020

Yes sir sounds good I have a unsurpressed 18" bear creek arsenal upper planning to run 300,340,500 grain projectiles. I have a lyman manual with jacketed data nothing for cast tho so its much appreciated.

Attached Files

Geargnasher posted this 21 July 2020

That one isn't extremely easy to start out with, but doable if you pay very close attention to certain things. I put an AR-15 upper receiver together expressly for use with 500-grain cast subsonic, suppressed hunting loads, so if that is your interest I can help with the vacuum of useful load data.

You haven't mentioned the firearm type or what sort of bullet weights and velocity ranges you're interested in pursuing.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • WoodencrossIII
  • M3 Mitch
David Reiss posted this 17 July 2020

Try this thread: https://www.castbulletassoc.org/thread/458-socom-load-data/

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • WoodencrossIII
  • M3 Mitch
Close