Bullet Pullers

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 19 July 2011
hunterspistol posted this 17 August 2009

Never mind how I managed to load a bunch of 9mm's way too hot, I make my fair share of mistakes anyhow. But, it brings me to the question, who makes a bullet puller that works with cast?  The way I see it, I don't intend to hold a manufacturer responsible for the performance of a $15-$25 tool.

Just wondered if anyone has run into this sort of dilemma,  I have the usual inertial puller, the hammer type but, these babys are new and tight!  I really don't want to spend hours and hours pulling them apart, hammering to extremes to make it work. Anybody have a puller that works good for them?  Any of them different or improved?  Pictures just don't tell me all that much.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 17 August 2009

Hunter

I have a bullet puller I like and the other you may get from Bruno or Heohn Supplies. I have a RCBS press die that I like and Hood makes a hand held unit that Bruno or Hoehn might sell.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 17 August 2009

I've used the inertia pullers and the press mounted collet pullers. The collet pullers work quite well on cast. I believe it's an RCBS and I used it to pull 50 .458 bullets. They were still useable afterwards as foulers or sighters.

Attached Files

Don Fischer posted this 06 November 2009

Old subject but I just pulled a bunch of 38 bullets yesterday. Never though of using a collet bullet puller. Been so long since I've pulled bullet's I forgot I had one till now. Tried pulling with an inertia puller but to much trouble. So I just ran each round up to the top of the ram on my Rockchucker and grabbed the bullet with channel locks and pulled them. From there back to the scrap pot to re-melt.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 06 November 2009

Well, that's how I did it too. I asked some guys on the other website and since, I have vice grip pliers, I just pulled them all that way.

Be sure and clean the lead out of the press threads before installing a die, may take a little work.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 06 November 2009

Don Fischer wrote:  So I just ran each round up to the top of the ram on my Rockchucker and grabbed the bullet with channel locks and pulled them. From there back to the scrap pot to re-melt.

I did the same thing and it worked fine. Can't beat the price; no puller to buy.

Jim

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 April 2010

When I have made a mistake and the primed case is worth ore than the cast bullet then I use a pair of Vise Grip pliers with the leverage from my old RCBS A-2 press.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 October 2010

:coffee     Since I originally started this question, thought I would share all the answers to my endeavors.   I recently got a little too hot for my NEF 32 mag revolver.  Not wanting to abuse the little thing, I needed to dispose of the rounds.   I found a new disposal tool too.  A set to tubing cutters, the type used for copper tubing, let me cut the cases in half so I can just throw them away.  I didn't want to throw live rounds in the dumpster, the City has a new trash truck.  Here's my little set of bullet pulling/destroying tools.  Anyone have even better answers? 

I tend to think with all the casting and reloading that goes on, surely other people make mistakes too.  If you don't, you must not be experimenting much.

Ron

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 14 March 2011

I use a shellholder in the inertia puller. Lasts much longer than the rubber banded  aluminum collets. Can really whack magnum pistol rounds to remove in 1 or 2 hits

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 14 March 2011

:coffee  Great idea, hadn't thought of that!

Attached Files

raytear posted this 14 March 2011

I have an RCBS collet-style puller.  It works great on most bullets.  The ones where I have had trouble are the designs with very little straight-sided area on the bullet for the collet to get a grip.  If they are not seated too deeply or held too tightly they pull out alright.  Some others I have had to resort to running the cartridges up thru the hole where the die screws in, but without any die.  Then I have gripped the bullet with dikes or end nippers while lowering the ram. Hard on the bullet, but it does render the cartridge safe for loading with a better charge and a new bullet.

For bullets with little straight-sided area for gripping with a collet, I would think one of the newer type of gripper that acts like a pair of “Chinese handcuffs” might work well enough and leave the bullet shootable.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 15 March 2011

try screwing a sheet rock screw into the bullet if it is too deep to grab and use the grips on the screw. Same idea as a bullet puller for black powder. The bullet will be scrap but the brass can still be used. May need to shoot the primer and resize.

Thanks

Bob D

Attached Files

daboone posted this 22 March 2011

Quinetics is a company that makes a kinetics inertia that eliminates the need to unscrew the chuck completely off to remove and replace the next round. That makes the job much quicker. Now if anyone knows how to keep the powder from sticking to the bullet lube it would make the recycling much easier :)

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 22 March 2011

When the bullet reaches beyond the top of the press I use a wire stripper to grab it at the crimp groove. They don't seem to get mangled and I shoot them. I turn the strippers so that the flat side faces up. I hate pulling handgun bullets.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 March 2011

:coffee    Not a bad idea there, either.  How hard is it to find wire strippers large enough for 32-45 caliber bullets?

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 28 April 2011

IMHO I'd throw everything 9 mm away!

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 May 2011

I have a couple of the hammer type interia pullers, the RCBS collet type of pullers. When I have a bullet that the store bought methods don't work for. I tap a hole into the bullet and use my RCBS stuck case tool.

They all work for me.

If any one want to throw away 9mm stuff, please send it to me, I will pay the shipping.

Jerry

Attached Files

Savage99 posted this 19 July 2011

I put an ear plug (the squeezable type) at the bottom of the inertia puller (the one shaped like a hammer)and I have had no distortions of the bullet, cast or others.. works great for me, just an idea. the bullet ends up sitting on top of the ear plug and not at the grooves at the bottom of the hammer where there are indentations to mess up the bullet.

Attached Files

Close