RCBS Striped Die Holder

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 23 July 2010
pablom posted this 20 August 2009

Does anyone have a good method or know if a kit is available to fix ( rethread ) the worn out threads in a RCBS Lube A Matic. These are the threads that hold the die in . Thanks Paul

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
roadie posted this 20 August 2009

I don't know of any repair kits, are you talking about the cap that holds the die in place and screws into the sizer? If so, I would think a replacement would be the best route, if they're available.

roadie

Attached Files

skeet1 posted this 20 August 2009

I would drill and tap for the next larger size set screw if it were me.

Skeet1

Attached Files

pablom posted this 20 August 2009

Yes Roadie,  Its the cap that holds the die in place. I wish it was as easy as rethreading to the next larger size. I need a oversized cap, with a common thread. Any ideas would be great .  Thanks Folks

Attached Files

roadie posted this 21 August 2009

Yeah, that cap has always been a PITA for me, takes a lot of care to avoid cross-threading. Mine mikes out at .928, I was expecting 15/16 but it's 10 thou under that.

If you can't find a replacement, you might get lucky and be able to make 15/16 work....maybe

Thread pitch on mine is 32TPI

roadie

Attached Files

pablom posted this 21 August 2009

thanks for the help. dont feel like buying another

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 21 August 2009

Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to repair the threads. Most folks are aware of the common thread repair files. They come in a number of thread pitches, to include 32 per inch. They are for outside threads. What most folks haven't seen are the thread repair files that have, on the ends, another thread repair tool that does inside threads. I had a set (until someone decided they needed them more than me) that I have used to salvage inside threads on numerous cylinders. There's only one company that makes them and I can't think of them off hand, but I'll run it down if you think it might do the job.

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 August 2009

I'd put in a call to RCBS. They have great customer service and might be able to help you out.

Attached Files

303PV posted this 21 August 2009

Is this the type of file  you mean ,Dollarbill :

http://fedfile.thomasnet.com/viewitems/electrical-mechanical-auto-plumbing/thread-restoring-files>http://fedfile.thomasnet.com/viewitems/electrical-mechanical-auto-plumbing/thread-restoring-files

Attached Files

pablom posted this 21 August 2009

Those are some great ideas. However being that its cast I think th are pulled out. I had 2 ideas 1 being  tap 3 small holes arround the threaded cap and use washers to hold it in place. The other is find a close tread and re-tap it larger and get same die, weld and thread the cap.  I think if I go with the 2nd idea i'll use a corser thread. That way it wont easily be cross threaded.

I think the threads are too far gone for the file, but i'am gonna keep that one in mind for other ideas. Never knew what they were for, but I've seen them in the past.

Thanks Guys for all the help.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 21 August 2009

303PV: That's it! I looked all over today and couldn't find one. TF0110 and TF0120 covers most any application for SAE threads. I'm requesting a quote. Thanks!:dude:

Attached Files

mcskipper posted this 23 July 2010

The force is down so the threads are most likely not pulled out. The nut was cross threaded is the way I see it.

As to fixing it, I would get two new nuts. One I would grind maybe 6 or 8 slots JUST through the threads. I'd use a Dremmel tool with the thin cut-off disc's. This I would use as a thread restoring die. Use the other new nut to hold the dies. the original nut is no good after cross threading.

OR, get ALL the lube out of the casting. Clean it up so there is NO lube left at all. Get mold release and spray a new nut up good. Use J-B weld on the inside of the casting. Let it sit for as long as the J-B weld box tells you to.

I use the ram to square up the nut. LIGHT ram pressure ONLY. Keep the light downforce on the nut as you thread it in a few turns. You will never cross thread a nut doing this.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 23 July 2010

I'd contact RCBS. They were extreamly helpful when the rod that holds the resizing ball broke off on my .375 h&h Ackley Improved full length resizing die. They immediately sent out the replacement parts free of charge.

Given you live in the US you could probably send them the whole set up and they could fix it. Let them know, thats my advice, and good luck and good shooting!

PS I use the Lee sizer/lubricator system and its cheap and works really well. Simple and idiot proof... ie I can use it!

cheers

James

Attached Files

Close