Controlling neck tension

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 20 August 2009
JetMech posted this 20 August 2009

I'm ordering equipment to load 30-06 in 1903 Springfields. I've searched the threads concerning die sets for neck sizing for CBs, but I'm not quite clear on which set I should get. The Redding dies are clearly able to adjust neck sizing with the different bushings, but many of the folks here are using Lee dies, which are very inexpensive by comparison. The problem I have is I don't understand how you can adjust the amount of neck tension with them. I don't see that they have various size collets. Do you guys just buy several collets and bore them out so you have various sizes use or do they have different collets available? I've searched the Lee site, as well as looking at a set at the local gunshop, to include the parts list, but don't see any options.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
grouch posted this 20 August 2009

The Lee collet die allows you some latitude in neck tension by adjusting the depth of the die in the press.

Grouch

Attached Files

303PV posted this 20 August 2009

There is a rod inside the case neck.I think that by changing the diameter of this rod the neck tension can be varied even more. The patent US4,723,472 explains it in detail. You can look at the patent if you register with Freepatentsonline.

Here is the link : http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4723472.pdf>http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4723472.pdf 

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 August 2009

Bill

You can help your situation with a FL bushing die. Redding makes one. By choosing bushing sizes you can adjust tension. I would buy 3 bushings consecutive sizes depending on your case diameter. The concern for me here is the FL sizing usually too much with these dies. I have a Bonanza die that allows me to bump and FL size no neck sizing, my smith removed the the neck sizing portion of the die. I size the necks with a Wilson neck sizing die. Works slick I get the best of both Worlds in sizing cases.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

If you send a couple of properly sized cases, or the specs of what you want the folks at Lee will make you the mandrel and collect to meet your needs.

When I first started several guns ago shoot CB competition I used a Lee collect die with the mandrel from a 303 brit and customized the collet myself with a dowel rod and emery cloth. Worked fine and in fact I still use it when I go down to Phoenix and shoot with my nephews, I gave it to them for their cast guns.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 20 August 2009

Bill, I use the Redding bushing die and Lapua cases in my .30/06. The Lapua cases are pretty uniform and consistent in thickness. I didn't see the need to turn them and shoot them as is.

I think I'm using a .334 bushing to resize them with a .3104 base diameter bullet. The Lapua cases are roughly .0145 in thickness and vary about .001 over all.

No M die is needed to flare the case if the proper bushing is used.

I've been loading this way for the military matches since 2006.

Attached Files

I like the price on the Lee dies, but the issue I have is that I will be using the die set for 2 or 3 rifles, that may not use the same diamater bullets for best performance. One 1903 has a used HS44 barrel and the 1903A3 has a new/old stock HS barrel.

Stephen, the current Redding neck sizing die sets include a die that FL sizes the body only.

Jeff, I'll check with Lee. They may very well custom make 2 different dies for my that will still cost less than the Redding set. I have 2 sets of RCBS standard dies. It would be easy to take one FL die and open up the neck so it doesn't size it.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The goal is 0 to .001 neck tension.

Attached Files

Bill Went I load for competition I use .002 neck tension. Of course we seat our bullets rather long and when we chamber and lock the round the bullet pushes back into the case. We do this so the seating depth is consistent each and every time and that gives the best accuracy. We size the bullets so that there is a slight interference fit of the freebore and the bottom driving band of the bullet, that helps to align the rear of the bullet and the push back aligns the front of the bullet so it is the same for each round. This doesnt lend itself well to hunting rounds, but for competition it is great.

I know that a lot of the guys shooting military rifles like the 03 are using a SAECO 315 and seating it so the bullet just touches the lands and they are shooting pretty darn good.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 20 August 2009

I used a Lee collet/neck size die some with the 30-30 and could never work up much enthusiasm for the technique.  I think it is harder to get a consistant neck tension with the Lee than with a conventional die or a bushing die.   It seems like the case springs back more, depending on the workability of that lot of brass.  It also requires a good bit of pressure on the press handle.  Lee specifies how many pounds of pressure to apply but I disremember what it was.

Even with a bushing die I still believe in using an m die to load plain base bullets.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 August 2009

I agree with Jeff. When I had Lee make a collet die for my .303 Pygmy I told them I wanted a mandrel diameter that would produce an ID of .316 and that is exactly what I got. I may actually spin 1/2 - 1 thou off the mandrel for a bit more neck tension. Time will tell. If you start fat you can take metal off. It doesn't work in the other direction of course.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Jeff Bowles wrote: we seat our bullets rather long and when we chamber and lock the round the bullet pushes back into the case. We do this so the seating depth is consistent each and every time and that gives the best accuracy. That what I intend to do. I do the same with my 45-70 BPCR, except I'm thumb-seating the bullets now, Annealed case necks and just a touch of neck tension, bullets seated .020 or so long. That's using a standard 45 neck die from Buffalo Arms I honed out alittle.

Jeff B, for two different sizing diameters, do you seat the check and size normally to the major diameter, then change dies and size them nose first to the minor diameter?

Attached Files

Close