Round Bullets

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 28 August 2009
mrbill2 posted this 26 August 2009

Why don't cast bullet molds cast round bullets. I have all the egg shaped mold I need and would like to try some round bullets. Do round bullets shoot better that egg shaped bullets?

Mr Bill2

mrbill2

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 26 August 2009

The rest of us have egg shaped barrels. I wasn't supposed to tell you.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 26 August 2009

Nothing man made is perfectly round, square, flat, parallel, perpindicular, etc.

How much are your bullets out of round?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 August 2009

MrBillAlso,

I shot this years National military rifle matches with bullets that are 0.002” out of round. I just orient the bullets so that they are each in the same relative position in the case and in the barrel. I can see no difference in scores as long as they are in the barrel in the same place. HTH, ric

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 26 August 2009

KenK wrote: Nothing man made is perfectly round, square, flat, parallel, perpindicular, etc.

How much are your bullets out of round?

Ken

From .002 to .003 . I think with modern machine tools we can get a little closer than that.  On a good day I think Fred Flintstone could do better. .0005 to .001 would work alot better.

Ricin

"I just orient the bullets so that they are each in the same relative position in the case and in the barrel".

I just marked my mold today so that I can do the same. I'll see if this helps my scores.

Shot my first match last weekend and got the bug BAD.

Mr. Bill2

mrbill2

Attached Files

KenK posted this 26 August 2009

Most of my cherry cut moulds cast a bullet that is a .001-.002 out of round;  a few of the old raggedgy ones are worse than that.  I can't detect any out of round with my one LBT mould, with what I have to measure with.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 August 2009

Hey, I was just kidding about the egg shaped barrels, MrB. We wouldn't keep something like that from you, really. For the record, my Saeco #315 double cavity throws 'em at well within .001". I love that mold.:shock: I have several other molds that make me wonder why they were ever made, useless.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 27 August 2009

I have 65-70 bullet moulds. Most of them will cast a bullet within .001” of being round. My MiHec moulds are considerably better. I got my six cavity MiHec #68 H&G Clone up to “casting heat", ran a couple of moulds full, then carefully kept all of the six casts. I weighed and measured them. I have never seen such consistent bullets. They were round within .0002” (two tenths of a thousandth) and they weighed + or - .5 grain (half a grain).

It is a pleasure to have such a mould (and I have a couple of more coming) but in all truthfulness, my standard bullet moulds (or rather bullets from my standard moulds) seem to shoot VERY well when sized properly.

I expect my handguns to shoot under an inch at 25 yards. I expect that level of accuracy at 100 yards from rifles. When I am competing with my schuetzen bench rifle, I NEED a half minute rifle. To be competitive the rifle must shoot in 1.0"-1.5” off a bench at 200 yards. For that work, I use a single cavity custom mould. I reject any bullet for Schuetzen that varies more than + or - .2 of a grain. Jim Borton, the great Schuetzen bench shooter, rejects any bullet that does not weigh EXACTLY like it's neighbors. Jim casts about 100 perfect bullets an hour. He weighs each bullet as it comes from the mould while waiting on the sprue to harden.

So, it all depends on the level of accuracy that you need. I do NOT weigh pistol bullets. I am particular, but sort entirely by eyeball. I weigh my Schuetzen bullets...

I did not entirely stay “on point” but my comments ARE related...

Dale53

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 27 August 2009

Thanks fellows. I'm thinking about getting a custom mold made for my Production bench gun. If I'm going to shell out $125.00+ for the mold it needs to cast bullets that are close to being round. It does make one wounder why some of the egg shaped molds shoot as good as they do. My 311284 is .003 out of rounnd but will shoot some good groups when I do my part. Till next time. Mr. Bill2

mrbill2

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 28 August 2009

RicinYakima wrote:  I just orient the bullets so that they are each in the same relative position in the case and in the barrel. I can see no difference in scores as long as they are in the barrel in the same place. HTH, ricI think this is the key. There's always going to be differences from one component to another. Even carefully manufactured components have a tolerance. Indexing cases and bullets all thru the loading and shooting process ensures consistancy from round to round. When I get a batch of cases prepped, I file a small mark on the rim and do the same to molds. Get all the imperfections you can in the same place every time.

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 28 August 2009

DB.    I just cast some 311284 in my mold that I marked yesterday. After they age for two weeks I'll be giving them a try.

Mr. Bill2

mrbill2

Attached Files

Close