Kano Kroil as a release agent

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 18 September 2009
CB posted this 28 August 2009

As do many of you, I frequent the Cast Boolits forum. The other day Ken the admin (45nut) gave me a call to talk about a CBA member that had passed. In the course of the conversation, of course we got to talking about casting and shooting. He mentioned that he had spoke to the people at Kano Kroil about using their product as a mold release agent. I had never hear of this, being from the old school on oil in bullet mold cavities of course I questioned it. To make a long story short I tryed it and it worked without leaving wrinkled bullets. Anyone else know about this great little trick?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 28 August 2009

Interesting, kroil is about the only thing I use anymore for a bore cleaner unless I have copper fouling.

How did you apply it?

Attached Files

Tom Trevor posted this 28 August 2009

I also read this and said HUH? just had to try it i cleaned a Paul Jones .45 mould and applied the oil with a Q tip over the mould wiped it with the dry end of the tip and warmed everything up and IT WORKED. One thing I did notice is the Q tip was left on the work bench in the shop overnight and the following morning it was as dry and fluffy as a new tip.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 29 August 2009

I gave it a try this morning.  It didn't seem to do much for me, good or bad.  The mould in question releases bullets fairly well anyway.  Maybe the effect would be more noticeable on a sticky mould.

Attached Files

1Shirt posted this 04 September 2009

I tried it on an old 6MM mold, and did not notice any appreciable difference until I got it real hot (frosty hot), and then they came out like they had a spring behind.  Guess there is some merit to it. 1Shirt!:coffee

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 08 September 2009

Jeff,

You need to change your footer to say “You only need 2 things in life. Kroil to......."

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 September 2009

Naw, WD-40 still rules! But I may need to change it to read one only needs 3 things....

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 08 September 2009

I just read this thread on castboolits 2 days ago.  It is a sticky and I have included the link below.  This is very timely since I have some time off and am doing some major casting.  The past 2 years I have used vacation to cast and reload enough for a year.  The problem is... then I don't do much reloading or casting the rest of the year.  Anyway, I have 2 sticky moulds that I plan to try this on.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55260

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 18 September 2009

Anyone else know about this great little trick? Jeff, not until it spread around the forums like a prairie fire.  So, I gave it a try casting some 530gr bullets using a double cavity mold.  Naw, didn't work as promoted. My opinion?  Don't throw your hickory hammer handle in the fire place!

But I'll offer up - clean your molds thoroughly with Micro-90 and no release agent is needed.  About 75 - 80% of the bullets will drop out with just the light tap to release the tension between the 2 mold halves before opening up with the handles

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 18 September 2009

I tried it also and I wasn't impressed. The bullets were still sticky but needed a heavier hand with the stick to release, plus I lost about 30 casts to horribly wrinkled bullets.

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 18 September 2009

John Boy- How do you use the Micro-90 and where do you buy it. Any price I can find is for an entire case.

Attached Files

Close