Bump/taper die set up

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 31 August 2009
KenK posted this 30 August 2009

I think an enterprising person with a lathe could make this idea work.  It may have already been thought of, nothing new under the sun and all that.

A modified Lee push through die might work but I don't have one on hand to look at. 

This is an old scrapped die screwed through the bench mounted press and into the hand press holding both together.  Modify a punch from a Lee push through die set to hold Lyman type top punches and mount that in the hand press ram.  This will push the bullet back out the bottom of the die.  A spring could be added to the ram of the hand press to keep the handle up.  The end of the black handle would need to be cut off if it was desired to have the handle front and center.

I have a bore ride bullet that is a couple thousandths bigger than the bore of my 03 so I'm running through ideas in my head.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Vassal posted this 30 August 2009

someday I'll understand exaclty what youre doing, but it looks nice even now!

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 August 2009

Ken

I like the leverage set-up you have using that Lee hand press. Most guys with a smith background would enjoy your project.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

KenK posted this 30 August 2009

If somebody has a fairly recent manufactured RCBS or Lyman size die for the 7mm.  I would love to know what the very top diameter is and how long the taper down to the .285 diameter is.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 30 August 2009

Several years ago bump/taper dies were available and were called coax dies, if I remember right. I am lucky enough to have two of them. They fit in a loading press.

I also have a set of 30 cal dies by Donald Eagan. They only taper a bullet and are used in a Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer. I use them often. Sad to say, Mr Eagan has passed away, and I don't know of anyone filling the gap.

I find taper dies very useful. In my opinion, decent accuracy without fitting the bullet to the throat is all but impossible.

Jim

Attached Files

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 30 August 2009

Hi Ken, here's how I do it. I have a very old high tonnage Smith press and several dies from back in the 60's when I was making bullets. The dies made J-4 jacketed bullets that were competitive through the 70's. The dies are worn enough that they work fine with cast bullets. I am taking the 225462, my latest project, and making the nose smaller to a meplat of .110". The other bullet in the picture is a 226469 repointed that really shoots well. If you can find some old dies that are worn and are for sale, buy the and make up a press. Althiugh there is a person in Miss. that re-making the Smith press. Reg

Attached Files

Some how I eliminated the photo of the press. Reg

Attached Files

Reg

Allen Bench gave me a set of Baylin 22 cal dies before he passed away in 06. Never used them as I make 22 bullets on my Rorschach dies. Like what you said I could use the Baylin dies for 22 cast sizing, a second sizing. What think.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

I don't know why not - I use LBT blue lube in general, but a little light smeer helps lube the die to start with and no sticking with the small ejection pin with hard cast bullets. The 6.5 (.264) in the photo was the result of 2 pointing dies way back when. I used the large pin pointing die, which worked perfectly for the cast bullet. The jacketed bullet was so long we did the pointing in 2 stages. Those bullets were for Hoyer and Wright for their long range 6.5 HW mag on a 300 Weatherby case. You don't remember those guys, but they set long range NRA records until they could not keep up changing barrels every 300 rnds. Reg

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 31 August 2009

i have a lathe and a mill i would like plans or better yet to borrow or buy a bump die. i really cant read plans but like the chi-com i seem to be able to copy other peoples ideas. joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 August 2009

You should check with the fellas at Clark Rifle if that is near you, one of them would have a bump press. I like the idea in general, a good way to make use of old equipment.

Attached Files

Close