7.62x39 Cz Bolt Gun & Lyman 314299 boolit recipes

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 19 September 2009
OSOK posted this 31 August 2009

Hello, 

First post here.  I am looking for a few recipes for 7.62x39 with heavy 200 grain Lyman 314299 boolits.   I am looking for standard pressure loads that will deliver accurate and highest velocity for the combo.  I know - aren't we all? :)

Here're the boolits, just waiting...

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 31 August 2009

OSOK, Try doing a search on this site. There have been multiple threads on this very subject. Ric

Attached Files

OSOK posted this 31 August 2009

Thanks - I did and got information on lighter bullets and low velocity loads.  Didn't see anything pushing them along at 1800 fps - or comments about fastest velocity at normal pressure.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 01 September 2009

My SKK used to cycle and shoot well with 23gr W748 under a 180gr “J” bullet at 1600fps. With your 200gr lead bullet you could start at 20gr I am confident.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 01 September 2009

Handloader #177 had a pretty good article by Mike Thomas using heavy bullets in a Ruger bolt gun. Do you have it? If not, I could jot down the data and get it to you.

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

OSOK posted this 01 September 2009

Antietamgw wrote: Handloader #177 had a pretty good article by Mike Thomas using heavy bullets in a Ruger bolt gun. Do you have it? If not, I could jot down the data and get it to you.

Thank you!  Chances are, yes, I have that - I've been subscribing and saving them since 95.

Jeff - thanks for that too - I like W748 and have a good quantity on hand.

Attached Files

OSOK posted this 01 September 2009

Oops - just checked.   I guess I wasn't subscribing yet - as there were several gaps in 95 - October being one of them (that's the no 177)

Would you mind posting maybe the top 3 loads?  TIA

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 06 September 2009

I have used  a CBE 190 gc, which weighs 198 grains, lubed and gas checked, in the 7.62x39. My rifle is a converted Lee Enfield. Using  AR 2207 ( H4198 ), 19grains gave 1486 fps, and 20 grains, 1553 fps. Used PMC cases, and Federal 150 Large Pistol primers.

Have not done much work with this calibre, and rifle, 18grs of Winchester 680 and Lyman 311359 seemed OK at 100 yards.

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 06 September 2009

Did anyone provide you with data from the HANDLOADER article? I wrote that article but haven't seen it in some time. I don't believe I used the #314299 bullet but probably used one or two that were close in length and weight. Please advise if you still need data and I'll look up the article.   

Attached Files

OSOK posted this 06 September 2009

Wow - thanks.  However, I am beginning to think that this is a dead end as I was hoping to get around 1800 fps out the boolit.  It looks like 1500 fps or so is the reasonable expectation for the heavys in this caliber.  A lighter boolit at 1900-2000 fps would be a better bet I think.

Given that, yes!  I would appreciate the data!  I started purchasing Handloader and Rifle off of the racks in 95 and didn't subscribe until 96 is seems - based on my inventory.

If you have a link to it, that'd be great - if you have to type it in, just include a few of the good 150-170 grain recipes and that'll be great!!

Attached Files

rockquarry wrote: Did anyone provide you with data from the HANDLOADER article? I wrote that article but haven't seen it in some time. I don't believe I used the #314299 bullet but probably used one or two that were close in length and weight. Please advise if you still need data and I'll look up the article.   

Hey, I saw a post on another board about an Aussie company that was making this type of rifle from scratch now.  Takes AK magazines and has an integral scope rail and aperture sights IIRC.  Kinda cool.

I'm a fan of the SMLE and it was good to see the design being utlized in a new made rifle line.

Attached Files

Hope to have some info to you by tomorrow. Offhand, I don't recall velocities or data, but seems that the 7.62x39 did quite well from an accuracy standpoint with bullets much heavier than those usually recommended. 

Attached Files

Attached Files

Found the article. It's lengthy, must be 50 or 60 loads with nine bullets. PM your name & address and I'll make a copy and mail it.

Attached Files

Found the article. It's lengthy, must be 50 or 60 loads with nine bullets. PM your name & address and I'll make a copy and mail it.

Attached Files

rockquarry wrote: Found the article. It's lengthy, must be 50 or 60 loads with nine bullets. PM your name & address and I'll make a copy and mail it.  

Just PM'd you!  Thanks Mike!

:dude:

Attached Files

OSOK posted this 15 September 2009

Hey Mike - thank you for sending the article!! I've been on the road but am home now and got through the mail - outstanding!

Would it be OK to scan the load page and post here? I'd like to share this.

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 15 September 2009

As far as posting the entire piece, I have no objection, however, it's not really my call. That article is the property of Wolfe Publishing / HANDLOADER magazine, etc. I'm no expert on the subject, but as a matter of both courtesy and legality, I'd suggest getting their approval first, even if you do only a portion of the article. I would also be cautious of any advice along these lines from self-proclaimed Internet experts. They may know even less than I do.

I'm glad you found the article useful. Let me know if I can provide any more assistance.

Attached Files

OSOK posted this 19 September 2009

Sounds like it wouldn't be the thing to do - makes sense. I've never done that before...

And it sure is useful! Has all that I could ask for on the subject!

Thanks again!

Attached Files

Close