TC Renegade

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 13 January 2010
KenK posted this 13 September 2009

Does anybody have an opinion on these rifles? They are available at a good price and seem to me would be a durable and dependable rifle.  Certainly no frills. I have a pound and a half of vintage Dupont FFG that's begging to be used.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 13 September 2009

All TC traditional muzzleloaders are very well made. I've had several, including a Renegade, which I traded off way back when. Now I'm down to three TCs, an early model Hawken that has the drum and bolster in .50, a .32 Cherokee and a .54 White Mountain Carbine, which is a lot like a Renegade. The old one with the Drum is convertible to flintlock, which is the way I usually shoot it. To make a short story longer, I mean shorter, go for it. If it's in decent condition you're set for life. They don't break or wear out and can be very accurate. Oh yeah, I have a New Englander 12 ga. single barrel shotgun that is a riot to shoot. You've gotta try a muzzleloading shotgun!

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 14 September 2009

Watch out for the .56 smoothbores. The bullet moulds for them are almost impossible to find. The twist in all of the (rifled) TC barrels of that period were 1:48, a bit fast for round balls but ideal for the maxi-balls. Other than that, a nice plain good quality rifle.

Jack

Attached Files

Maven posted this 18 September 2009

T/C traditional rifles (flintlocks and caplocks) are very well made, durable, and generally quite accurate with both RB's and Maxi-Balls.  Although the 1:48” twist is a compromise, I've never had a problem with it and RB's.  However, some T/C bbl.'s are more sensitive to patch thickness than others and that will have a significant effect on accuracy.  I'd start with the RB diameter T/C recommends*, or better yet, one of their molds in the appropriate caliber and use T/C patches or .014” - .015” pillow ticking (compressed) if you have it.  That combination with a reasonable charge (70grs.) of FFg or Pyrodex RS should allow you to put at least 3 shots touching from a rest at 50 yds.  If not, try .018” pillow ticking (compressed) with the same RB.  Use a good BP patch lube, e.g., T/C “Bore Butter” (can also be used on Maxi-Balls) and dry swab the bore after seating the projectile atop the powder charge, but BEFORE capping the piece.  Damp swab, then dry swab after firing a Maxi-Ball and again after seating it (but before capping it).  This is for target purposes.  When hunting, you wouldn't necessarily swab so often.  Once you're satisfied with the rifle's accuracy, you can experiment with other patch lubes including those you make yourself. 

*You can also purchase Hornady or Speer swaged RB's of the appropriate diameter for your rifle if you prefer not to cast them.  Btw, if you opt to cast, weigh a sample to determine the mean weight and standard deviation and use that data to cull your “droppings."  It DOES make a difference in accuracy.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 December 2009

What king of accuracy can you expect from roundballs and the 1-48.I have a chance at a Renegade 54 for a good price and really only want it as a roundball gun.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 25 December 2009

Linoww: I have shot for years, very successfully, a .45 (.445) round ball scratch built muzzle loader. I used charges of 65 gr (bulk measure) of Pyrodex for most of my shooting and 70 gr 2F and a dry patch when the stakes were high. Tight groups at 50 yds. The Tc has a mill cut under the “bolster” for it to fit over the lock. Do not over charge the TC. With charges similar to mine start 10 grains lower the TC will amaze you with superb accuracy.  I have shot them and for the price it really shoots. Measure across the lands and shoot a ball that diameter with a .014 to .017 thickness patch. .018 is common in the gun stores, so you may have to go to a fabric store with your mic in hand and pick out a quarter yard of 3 thickness, - make sure it is 100% cotton fabric. Wash the fabric before shooting so that the “sizing” is out of the material. If you want e-mail me and I'll send a couple of shot targets from matches to you. Reg

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 25 December 2009

.56 roundball mold available from Erik at http://hollowpointmold.com/forsale/>http://hollowpointmold.com/forsale/

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 December 2009

thanks for the info.I have too many CB projects already but it looks like the 54 TC would be fun.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Maven posted this 25 December 2009

George, The .54cal. T/C Renegade is capable of excellent accuracy with the correct RB diameter and patch thickness and powder charge.  In theory, the T/C bbl. needs a .530” RB and a .015” patch.  However, you may want to experiment with a .535” RB + a .015” patch or a .530” RB + a .018” patch.  Naturally you'll have to work up an accurate powder charge, either Pyrodex RS or Goex (or your favorite brand of) FFg, as well.  I think 50 grs. of either @ 25 yds. is a good place to start.  When you're satisfied with the accuracy at that range, move yor target to 50 yds. and increase the powder charge to 60 or 70 grs.  Btw, you may also find that FFFg results in better accuracy with less fouling, but at the price of higher pressure than does FFg.

All, for custom bullet molds that fit Lyman handles take a look at Jeff Tanner's offerings:  http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk>http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 December 2009

On the .54 in 48 inch twist I got best accuracy loading a full .540-inch ball “Hessian” style without any patch, just using an Ox Yoke Originals lubricated wad over a charge of 80 grs. of Goex 3F and using a mallet and short starter to get it into the bore and engraved so that I could ram it down. Do the same thing in the .50 cal. with a .509 ball.   Accuracy is wonderful, no blown patches.  One spit patch and a dry patch between shots.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 December 2009

Hessian style. That's one I never heard of. Kind of a game changer, for sure. What's the advantage?

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 13 January 2010

Ed I'm a little late on this one. I have a TC Hawkin with a 54 cal. 34” Green River barrel with a 1 in 60 twist. I use a 535 RB with .015 pillow ticking with 75 gr. of FFG or a measured 75gr. of RS Pyrodex. It will shoot a clover leaf at 50 yrds. I also have a 28” TC barrel in 50 cal with 1 in 24 twist, it shoots pretty good with a 365gr. TC mini ball and groups in the 2 to 3” at 50 yrds. This barrel is a pre engraved at loading so I use a bullet starter. I realy like the TC line of muzzle loaders. What is the Hessian style?

Attached Files

Close