Ed's Red containers.

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 June 2010
shjoe posted this 15 September 2009

from a past discussion about containers to keep Ed's Red in, i have had good luck re-using empty Williams Electric Shave bottles. they hold a nice workable quantity of Ed's Red, have a good sealing cap, squirt opening, and the plastic bottle doesnt seem to react with Ed's red. large batches of Ed's Red are kept in a 2 gallon gasoline jug. as far as the smell. i dont mind it at all. not the same as hoppes smell which reminds me of past hunting camps and buddies. best, john

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 15 September 2009

I have been using medicine bottles from the local pharmacy (the 4 oz. ones) and they do NOT deteriorate from Ed's Red. They are a most convenient size and were given to me (I am a regular customer).

Using Williams Electric Shave plastic bottles is a good tip (that's my brand:D).

Dale53

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 15 September 2009

I use a mason jar but don't try to fill it all the way.

Attached Files

jon skorepa posted this 16 September 2009

i use glass mexican hot sauce containers works good lasts long time.  jon 

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 16 September 2009

good idea jon. never thought about re-using hot sauce bottles. dale53, the white squirt insert in the Williams electric shave bottles prys off fairly easily. then they can be filled easier.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 16 September 2009

Dale. wrong bottle discribed. should be Williams “lectric shave” plastic bottle. i remove the original lable after use and had to check a new bottle at the store for the correct name. sorry

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 16 September 2009

shjoe; Sheesch!! I MEANT Williams but wrote Mennen's. I have changed my post. Thanks for catching that.

NOTE: I don't use GLASS bottles for ANYTHING! I guess that I am too clumsy but I can see myself dropping those and spreading Ed's Red over my tamales, or somethin'...:uhuhuh:

Dale53

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 16 September 2009

Metal lighter fluid cans: I have many.

Masking tape around the can carries a label indicating whether it's Ed's Red Cleaner (with acetone, no lanolin), Lubricant (no lanolin, no acetone), or Protectant (with Lanolin, no acetone). C-L-P. Get it?

The schizzle.

My “basic” containers are one gallon acetone or lacquer thinner cans. Wide mouth glass jars with metal screw lids are pressed into service: the bottom protected with cardboard, wrapped with craft paper, secured with a hackamore (http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/jugknot.pdf%29>http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/jugknot.pdf) which provides a handy handle.

Old school. I know no better.

Attached Files

kokojoe posted this 17 September 2009

I have a 1lb Win 231 metal can that I use for the bench.  It holds about a quart.  I pour a little in a tuna can and dip patches, etc. into it.

I tried a a one gallon plastic gas can for mixing up the batches, but the seal was bad and it leaked when I tried to pour it.  The metal paint thinner and acetone cans leak all over when I tried to pour them.

So, I finally looked for one gallon metal gas cans.  Found a new one for over $50 and was not going to do that.  Finally found some foreign military surplus 1 gallon fuel containers online that work great.  I think I got two of them for about $40 with shipping. 

I wanted to go with metal so the acetone was not an issue.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 17 September 2009

Peanut jar. Haven't broke my Hoppe's #9 glass bottle yet (30 yrs.), so I figure I can handle the glass ok. From there it goes into little Hoppe's bottles saved up from way back before I found Ed's Red. I still mix in a little #9 to make Tim's Pink, smells more familiar.

Attached Files

jon skorepa posted this 18 September 2009

any one with glass paranoia should protect it with cardboard and 1/2 role duct tape. throw the protceted glass container off a 3rd story roof and it just bounces. end discussion!!!! jon

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 September 2009

Safety Note:  don

regards, ken at deltawerkes

Attached Files

daboone posted this 06 June 2010

A cleaned out PVC pipe primer can with the brush attached to the lid makes a nice container for Ed's Red. The brush hold enough to soak a patch. Doesn't take up much space in the range box.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 06 June 2010

I store bulk E'sR in a brown glass gallon jug that once held laboratory grade acetone here in the lab. (Don't ask me what the heck “laboratory” grade acetone is!) Small user bottles are recycled glass solvent bottles (Hoppe's, etc.) Initially I stored it in a gallon size plastic mineral spirits jug, until it started to swell and get mis-shapen. Dumped it into the glass jug, swearing to never use plastic for a solvent based solution again, even if it once held solvent. I'm not paranoid about it breaking.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 06 June 2010

Like gnoahhh, I use the gallon brown glass jug I found at a garage/estate sale. I bought several older antique medicine bottles with good caps, also glass, to tap the big bottle. ABout 8 oz goes with me everywhere (shooting that is, not to the grocery store although I think it has uses there too).

I use alum. foil to make a seal that is maleable in the old cap to ensure it wont leak.

I really like the old bottles. Both clear and brown. A hoppes pint or quart bottle would be just as good as mentioned prior.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 07 June 2010

Small glass pickle bottle Grouch

Attached Files

Close