Copper Bullets

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 23 September 2009
SAMUEL.DEAN posted this 22 September 2009

I am new to reloading and live in California where we can not use lead bullets so I woud like to pour copper bullets, I am a electrician, I have access to copper wire.

How to comput the weight of copper bullits from standard molds?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
LWesthoff posted this 22 September 2009

Specific gravity of pure lead is 11.34. Specific gravity of pure copper is 8.96. If you have a pure lead bullet that weighs 200 gr., a pure copper bullet cast in the same mold should weigh 200 X 8.96/11.34 = 158 gr. I'm not sure what the melting point of pure copper is (didn't bother to look it up) but I think maybe you might have some problems melting and casting copper with standard bullet casting equipment. Interesting idea, though.

Wes

Attached Files

Copper melts @ 1083 deg.F Lead melts @ 327deg.F Thangs for the fast reply.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 September 2009

Samuel, Your temperatures are in error. Cu is 1083 degrees Centigrade (1981.4 F.) and Pb is 327 degrees Centigrade (620.4 F.) Ric

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 22 September 2009

Ric, you must be almost as old as I am. They changed the nomenclature from “Centigrade” to “Celsius” clear back in 1954. (I DID bother to look that one up.)

Wes

Attached Files

Your right I.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 September 2009

Samuel

Where did you get your info on a ban on shooting lead bullets in California. As far as I know there is no ban on shooting Cast bullets and Trap and Skeet still use lead shotshells in California. There is a steel shot requirement for waterfowl hunting.

What interests me is your copper bullet idea. You would need a heat source hotter than one for lead. Once you cast some come back and give a report. Good luck.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 September 2009

LWesthoff wrote: Ric, you must be almost as old as I am. They changed the nomenclature from “Centigrade” to “Celsius” clear back in 1954. (I DID bother to look that one up.)

Wes Wes, I will admit that when I was a freshman Chemistry major, you were required to take German language  classes because they were still considered the world's leading chemists. Ric

Attached Files

SAMUEL.DEAN posted this 23 September 2009

When hunting in Ca. you have to use lead free.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 23 September 2009

SD,

I have limited lath turning knowledge however have you considered, cutting and sizing soft copper wire to length and making a flat point wadcutter from appropriate size wire? It seems that would be a cheap way to make bullets instead of trying to pour them in a mold. The mold would need to be cast iron or pour into a sand mold and then break them out. I believe a sand mold casting would still need to be turned to proper diameter.

Just a thought.

Bob D

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 23 September 2009

Sounds to me as though this thread is getting closer and closer to taking a piece of copper wire and swaging it into bullet form. Isn't something like that already being done by some of the major bullet manufacturers?

Wes

Attached Files

Close