steyr 450 marlin big bore rifling twist

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 09 November 2009
canuck4570 posted this 06 October 2009

waiting for a Steyr pro-hunter big bore in 450 marlin I knew that the inside dimension of the magazine is 3.125 long today I found out the rifling twist is 1 in 14 to me this is great same has my 458 (able to stabilize real heavy bullets)

any draw back compared to the regular twist of 1 in 20 for this cartridge thank you Canuck

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
canuck4570 posted this 05 November 2009

thank you for feedback

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 November 2009

Canuck, congratulations on your new gun. Aparently either no one with a 450 Marlin or knowledge of twist issues for them saw your post. Maybe it'll catch somebody's eye this time around. I see lots of posts go unanswered, for one reason or another, don't take it personally. I get ignored all the time! So have you shot it yet?

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 05 November 2009

thank you tturner53 the rifle is at canadian customs so should have it soon waiting also for a nightforce scope 2.5-10x32 will be mounting the scope with Near mounts when I get everything I will post a complete report on how I came about to choose such a rifle and scope combo should be great for long distance cast bullets shooting and hunting

yes you are correct in saying not to many of these hanging around

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 November 2009

Definitely let us know how it goes. That's a damn interesting combination, not something you see everyday. I was thinking you might be after some big critters. I have a Steyr that's about 100 yrs. old! Not a spec of rust, bore is excellent, sharp rifling and looks like a mirror in there. I found it in a gunsmith's junk bin in the back of his shop, got it free. They know how to make a gun, that's for sure. Good luck with your project.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 06 November 2009

canuck4570 wrote: ...today I found out the rifling twist is 1 in 14 to me this is great same has my 458 (able to stabilize real heavy bullets)

any draw back compared to the regular twist of 1 in 20 for this cartridge ...

The biggest drawback is that you'll get to love shooting the 500 grain bullets!

.>

Can you say, “technicolor shoulder"?

(I have Ruger #1's in .458WM, 405Win and .375 Ouch and Ouch.)

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 06 November 2009

I have presently a ruger no 1 in 4570 it was modified to put a scout scope I shoot a Paul Jones 540 grain bullet, very accurate at 1500 fps scope is a burris handgun scope 2-7x32 with ballistic plex load is 40 gr of H 4895

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 06 November 2009

TRK wrote: canuck4570 wrote: ...today I found out the rifling twist is 1 in 14 to me this is great same has my 458 (able to stabilize real heavy bullets)

any draw back compared to the regular twist of 1 in 20 for this cartridge ...

The biggest drawback is that you'll get to love shooting the 500 grain bullets!

.>

Can you say, “technicolor shoulder"?

(I have Ruger #1's in .458WM, 405Win and .375 Ouch and Ouch.)

my friend has one in 458 and he shoot 65gr of IMR 3031 behind a saeco 550gr come out at 2014 fps he love it and yes the recoil is ouch

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 06 November 2009

tturner53 wrote: Canuck, congratulations on your new gun. Aparently either no one with a 450 Marlin or knowledge of twist issues for them saw your post. Maybe it'll catch somebody's eye this time around. I see lots of posts go unanswered, for one reason or another, don't take it personally. I get ignored all the time! Hey, Canuck. Tim's right. The reason posts go unanswered is because folks don't have any experience with your particular post. I'm kind of with Tim, though. We just jump in there if we see no one has answered, just to let you know people are interested. I shoot a 45-70, a Browning BPCR. Love those big slugs! I shoot 525 and 535 gn BP loads. Even at 1300 fps, you know you just launched a big chunk of lead. Hunting is no problem. Usually one shot is all you take. It's load developement that kicks my a__!

Attached Files

big boar posted this 06 November 2009

I have a 450 Marlin and really like it. I can't say I enjoy shooting the heavy loads though. I find the 420gr RCBS FN bullet over top charges of 3031, 4198 or sr4759 accurate out to 200yds but after about 30 rounds the fun is over. I like to practice a lot so I found that even stout loads of 300gr (RCBS45-300FN) don't bother me near as much. Matter of fact I took Ed Harris' advise and now load that 300gr slug over 11-13gr of shotgun powder for a lot of fun shooting. I can punch 50-100rounds of that at a sitting and have a lot of fun doing it. Those light loads are really good for rapid offhand practice at 50yds. I'd never be able to practice that much using the heavy loads. I guess what I'm trying to say is, for a pure hunting gun that slow twist will be great for a heavy game load, not sure how it will do with a light practice/fun to shoot load. Enjoy whatever you get, I really like mine. Au revoir et bon chance mon amis. (Hope that came out ok)

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 06 November 2009

canuck4570 wrote: (I have Ruger #1's in .458WM, 405Win and .375 Ouch and Ouch.) my friend has one in 458 and he shoot 65gr of IMR 3031 behind a saeco 550gr come out at 2014 fps he love it and yes the recoil is ouch

I loaded some 45-70 up to 2,000 fps -- then convinced myself there was no need for such brutality in North America.  And I wasn't using 550gr bullets...

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 06 November 2009

Well I'm not going to be left out. The only big bore cartridge gun I have at the moment is an H&R 45-70. It has a 20” barrel and weighs about 6.5 lbs. Yikes! Tried shooting the Lee 405 gr. with a moderate charge for a postal match, I was pretty happy when it was done. Knocks the $#@* out of me, face hurt for days. Used to have a Ruger #3 45-70, wasn't much better. Ever try shooting one prone? Take your arm off. Sure does lay out whatever you shoot though. You guys are nuts. Just the same, that's a real nice bull, Canuck. I wish I had some moose in the freezer. Give us a picture when you get that Steyr.

Attached Files

Tazman1602 posted this 07 November 2009

canuck4570 wrote: waiting for a Steyr pro-hunter big bore in 450 marlin I knew that the inside dimension of the magazine is 3.125 long today I found out the rifling twist is 1 in 14 to me this is great same has my 458 (able to stabilize real heavy bullets)

any draw back compared to the regular twist of 1 in 20 for this cartridge thank you Canuck

Couldn't tell you on the rate of twist Canuck but you are gonna LOVE that .450. I've had one since they came out, Marlin 1895G and it's a monster when shot with factory ammo, I've just started to cast for it and am using the RCBS 405G GC bullet. Loaded with 31 grains of IMR 4198 it shoots around 1250 fps and the recoil is very tolerable, even fun to shoot. I've taken two White Tail deer with this gun but with the factory load I gave up hunting them because it ruins way too much meat, I'm hoping to eventually hunt with the cast bullets. There is a lack of reloading data for this round yet but it's starting to come around.

I JUST made a horse trade and ended up with a Marlin 1895G in 45-70, would have preferred a Buffler' rifle instead of the short barrel but I made out like a bandit on the trade. I took it out and shot it for the first time this afternoon with Hornady Leverevolution 325G's and was extremely impressed with the rifle. I'm not an open sight shooter but this gun has XS ghost rings and I was actually able to keep around 5” groups at 100yds...............but my shoulder feels like I was broad sided by a linebacker now.

I must be crazy because I actually like chunkin these punkin balls out the barrel........pics of that rifle when you get it please!!!

Art

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 09 November 2009

I guys sorry did not answer sooner was gone deer hunting saw nothing but saw something unusual for these parts of the woods saw 4 big turkey don't worry as soon as I get the rifle pics will come thank you Canuck

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 09 November 2009

In answer to your original question, the twist rate difference will produce more recoil.  In addition, should you decide to harden the bullets and push them to a faster velocity, it will shave off the sides of the bullets faster, producing leading. 

Meaning that it will stabilize the heavier bullets and shoot more accurately at closer ranges provided you don't try for a lot more velocity. 

I did this in 9mm so, you can see where it's nowhere near the ballpark in size but, just as true.  The answers were from a conversation with Mr. Warner.  These gentlemen are competitive shooters so, sometimes they don't answer the same question twice.

Good Hunting, hope you'll carry on undaunted, seems you have a good thing going on. 

Ron

Attached Files

Close