Load help for 9 mm luger

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 03 January 2010
Blizzard posted this 27 October 2009

I am loading 119 gr hard cast lead bullets, .355, style CN  BB for my Ruger SR 9.

I am using Winchester 231 powder. Can someone give me min. and max load data.

Thanks !!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 27 October 2009

Consider visiting the following web site for Winchester load data.

http://www.hodgdon.com/>http://www.hodgdon.com/

Attached Files

Blizzard posted this 27 October 2009

There is nothing there for 119 gr.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 27 October 2009

You can avoid trouble by using load data for a slightly heavier bullet of similar material assembled to the load's OAL.

Attached Files

RustyW posted this 29 October 2009

My Lyman 48th shows a 120gr #2 alloy 356242 mold.

Winchester 231 powder

MIN 3.0 VEL 1010....Pressure CUP...20,000 MAX 4.1 VEL 1148....Pressure CUP...30,200 With a 1.065 OAL

That's as close to 119gr as I could find in a manual.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 31 October 2009

Note of caution on 9mm: Speer #13, the tiny case dimensions of the 9mm cause drastic increases in pressure if the projectile is seated too deeply. 

Personally, I've just had this happen loading a 125 grain Lyman Devastator hollowpoint.  It generally means that you'll have to reduce the load by somewhere around .5 grains.  I ended up starting .5 below suggested starting loads and pulling bullets on the high end. They just got way too hot to shoot.

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 06 November 2009

If there is one cartridge that has as many dimensional diferences, bullet weights without load data,etc,etc, as liberal politician's with lies, its the 9mm. hunterpistol hit it spot on, If you don't have as many, (all,) manuals as you can afford, get them. Read em all, each has information you WILL use.To give you min./max. load data for YOUR gun is follie. Each is a lesson unto itself, especially the 9mm. You obviously have a computer, which means you can obtain published, TESTED, data from the reputable powder, bullet companies. A phone call could also get you your information. You sometimes have to sift through ALOT of information to get what your looking for, especially if you have a bullet, lb's of powder,or whatever, there is no info on. Experienced handloaders do this all the time. The one thing to know, above all else, is to start LOW. That means burning powder and poppin' primers, not to mention range time. Not triying to be critical, but questions like this are asked all the time and there is no clear cut answers for it. Make of bullet? How hard is hard cast, bhn? What is the bore dia. of your Ruger? On and on? All of these things are relevent and only you have the answer. CRASH87

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 06 November 2009

Excellent answer.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 23 November 2009

The 9mm is finicky with cast bullets ,and often dangerous as other members pointed out on this post.

355 dia  hard  alloy bullets might be too small and lead horribly in most guns.

I use 357 soft alloy bullets in my 9x21 Browning HP ,with a very sedate load,a very nice and relaxing shooting

Start low with your powder and stop as soon as the pistol cycles reliably.

If one wants a potent pistol,he should get a 45acp or even a desert eagle 44 .

Attached Files

Blizzard posted this 23 November 2009

Thanks, all. I appreciate your help! I have 3 loading manuals all of which which I have studied. I am confident that with the knowledge gleaned from them together with your sage advice that I will be able to  make the proper loading decisions.

PS: I am not looking for a “potent pistol"; I am merely trying to use the only bullets I can find to load. And, I do have a Colt 45.

Attached Files

Pistoleer posted this 03 January 2010

All good replies to original question.  But-- I'd like to add:  be wary of all load recommendations; I've found considerably different loads for the same wt bullets and powder type in different sources.  As mentioned in the above thread, start LOW and work up!

Pistoleer (CBA member and new visitor to this Forum)

Attached Files

kokojoe posted this 03 January 2010

When I started casting, I water quenched and used the LLA.  I had a terrible time with leading.

I kept working on it.  But, now, I air cool and sometimes even cut the WW with some soft lead.  My bhn runs 10-12.  I size to .356 and use conventional 50/50 lube.  Almost no leading at all now.

I think, to start with, the water quenched were way too hard - in excess of 20 bhn.  I'v not  had good luck with the LLA at these pressures.  Seems fine on my .38 special.

I use a Lee 120 or 125 grain.

I do use WIN 231.  For me, I need to be near max at 4.0 grains to get both my guns to consistently cycle.  I go back and forth a little on he COL.  I'm currently using 1.110.  Winchester's data does have data for 125 LRN I think.  Lee's manual also has data.  So, there are two easy sources for it. As one poster said, you can use a load for a heavier bullet.

Attached Files

Close